Homebrew competition!!

whatever happened to the castlevania like game ?

I think you mean me, I stopped working on it for various reasons, Ive been depressed and frustrated with not being able to get any compiling working, I tryed all guieds and a lot of other arm compiler stuff but just cant get anything to work, does anyone know of a deadsimple way like type something in terminal and fetch it off the net and then type something short and simple to compile? If I can get a compiler working I will start working on it again along with lots of other stuff, otherwise I just dont have the mental energy.

Could someone test a new build of wars:commando for me? I'd like to know if the bugs described here are fixed. Download the test version here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really no magic. I do a lot like OpenGL (e.g. matrices for transformation and projection). Then I have Triangles and Quads with different distances from the Screen, sort them and draw from back to the front. If my game is released and I have a bit more time, I should think about a z-Buffer like OpenGL have it. Without a real z-Buffer I get problems with near but different sized objects. But in my game, I don't have problems like this, so I can ignore the design-failure. ^^

But I will release the code. But it could be, that I restructure it before. At the moment, there is just one goal: A nice game at the last day of march. nice code is minor. ;-)

greetings Ziz

Edit: I forgot: The chief difficulty was to use no floating point operations. Most systems I develop for don't have a FPU. So I had to use fixed point arithmetics. And to draw my triangles and quads very fast on my gp2x, I had to code a bit in few ARM-Assembler. I use it on the pandora, too, but it wouldn't be necessary. The CPU of the Pandora is much faster then the GP2X's one. And the calculations are the same! I just have to fill more primitives.

Cool stuff, I'm looking forward to the finished game (and the source ^^)! :)

Hello everyone. I was very enthusiastic about this competition and had been working on my own entry for it, but unfortunatelly I'm running out of time and the game is nowhere near playable state.

Nevertheless I'd like to show what I got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tChtDdNbH3E?feature=oembed

I really like the Gameboy style of your graphics! And I hop eyou sort out the problems, the game looks like fun! :)

Okay a few things:

First off, the code to Greyout is already available here: http://code.google.com/p/greyout/

Please note a few things: I am still working on it, I gave my best to comment it and I have yet to write the readme file I mention in several comments. Also it is _just the source_, no data files, no sprites, no levels, additionally you will need Penjin (a local branch even, currently, I will fix that after I finish the game): http://code.google.com/p/penjin/

Stuff like collision detection (partly class "Physics", partly "Level"), unit-wrapping ("Level") and level loading ("LevelLoader") might be of some interest (if any in general) to devs.

Secondly, I would ask everyone submitting entries (in the coming days) to also write a short description of his submission which should include what the game is about, what is special qualities are, basically a short ad for the game (video and screenshots optional but highly encouraged).

The reason behind this is (apart from the fact that it does not hurt anybody) that I want to write a short entry-roundup post on PandoraPress and I don't want to summarize every entry - not because I am lazy (in fact, I am, too), but because I probably am not completely unbiased and I don't want people to hold that against me.

Thirdly, a Linux, Windows, GP2X, WIZ, Caanoo, etc. (if possible) build of the games would be nice for us guys not owning a Pandora.

I can understand if you argue that your game is best experienced on the Pandora and you don't want people to get a false impression on a PC and rate the game accordingly... well the reality is: people will vote anyway. I can already see people voting just on the name of the game alone.

So please include a non-Pandora build - at least I will be doing so - it can only help your game if it is any good.

Good luck to all the entrants, I hope you manage to get your games ready in these last few days :)

foxblock out

^ Roger that, I'll do those with with my final submission.

It seems my game still requires the screen to be tapped before it has focus. I've tried setting the focus to the right widget in my program, but it seems the entire window doesn't have it. Any ideas?

Also: double tap to run :D

If I can get a compiler working I will start working on it again along with lots of other stuff, otherwise I just dont have the mental energy.

hey, I did manage to get the compiler and build tools installed on my Pandora the other day. It was quite a struggle! Anyway, I wrote it up on the wiki if you'd like to try it. My notes might not be exactly right, but I think it's enough to get it working.

http://pandorawiki.org/Compile_directly_on_the_Pandora

The key to not trashing the system when you install the new libraries is to make sure you keep libncurses5 installed - apparently Pandora's bash was linked with it for some unknown reason! (and lots of other programs genuinely need it) I ssh'd in and installed the dev packages from there. I had to re-install libncurses5 at the end, because it had wrongly been removed. But it might be a good idea to install it first.

I highly recommend to use a 'root overlay' so that your changes go onto a loop filesystem on your SD card, and your real root filesystem won't be messed up; and also to ssh in. I linked to the root overlay info in that wiki page.

I'm having "fun" trying to get my SDL+GL game to work with GLES on the Pandora!

The music is playing and it can clear the screen and swap buffers, that's all that's working as of yet.

I like the looks of the monkey game vid too.

Yay, got all the reported bugs fixed :) ! Now I'll just make sure everything is polished and I'll be ready to build and release tomorrow B)

My 'preview' version of Rescue is now working in a pnd.

http://sam.ai.ki/rescue-0.pnd

For now, it likes to run at 800Mhz, and so works best with hotfix 5.

I have made some improvements since then, and still have lots more to do!

Google code project for wars-commando

I'll upload non-pandora versions to the download section as I get them ready. Linux 32/64 builds will probably appear during the next hour or so, but I'm having some problems with the Windows and Maemo versions. I'll try to get at least the Windows version up ASAP.

Update: Pandora and linux versions (both 32- and 64-bit) and a source code tarball are now in the download section

Cannot wait to get home and play these games tonight!

I remember Bzars being a pisstake to get past the 2nd level though!

Well I didn't get close to finishing my game in time for the competition, but at least I got started with C++ and for my first project I think it doesn't look too shabby. :)

The level is randomly generated. As the video was filmed it's a bit darker than in reality; the walls and floors do have some texture but it's hard to make out.

If it works out the game will have randomly generated levels and "quests" with lots of weapons to find, kinda like a Diablo jump'n'run but as a Sci-Fi, preferably with lots of options to choose from how the game should play, e.g. more action oriented or a maze game like the C64 Keyfinder or a difficult platformer or quest oriented etc..

The sprites are from http://opengameart.org. The game is coded in C++ using SDL (although the level generator is still a proof of concept done in Java as I'm about a thousand times faster there...).

Also I forgot to show the shooting animation but as I don't have any projectiles yet (only sticking out the arm and lighting up the body) or anything to shoot at I guess it doesn't matter. :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zSvA2xbmvfk?feature=oembed

Cannot wait to get home and play these games tonight!

I remember Bzars being a pisstake to get past the 2nd level though!

Teehee :p

The first two levels are more of an introduction. The difficulty curve starts at level 3. :D

FTR: I've played through all the levels except for the last. But even for that I've made sure that every step of the game is possible to get through without losing one heart. The end boss is also very much possible, I'm just not good enough at the game yet :)

Just remember: double tap to run (important for jumps), you can aim grenades (press up/down when throwing) and you can fire faster by tapping the fire button than just holding it.

There's a bug in Wars: Commando, which causes infantry enemies sometimes to get stuck. This manifests for example in the first level, if you wait for the two infantry enemies to get to the top of the hill before the first shooter enemy. The enemies stay on top of the hill and won't walk back down. I have a fix ready and will try to upload updated versions today.

EDIT: ...that is if the rules allow me to improve my submission :)

Bug fixes are fine however any additional levels/gameplay edits should be kept until after the 7 days of voting is over.

Back