Home Made Projector From Ebay?

gary.mckeown posted on Oct 7 2005 at 12:08 PM said:
what's the cheapest projector any1's seen *New*? lowest i've found so far is £419

i don't get the question.
it's like asking "how much does a computer cost?" or "how much does a car cost?".
it depends on the specifications, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know what specs are good for a projector thats why i didnt put any sorry, i've been lookin around since i put that and there is a wider choice than i 1st thought.

ignore my previous request cheers

This product on ebay has nothing to do with the modified OHP you are discussing here.

Anyway, i read on DCemu that these lenses are not very good, because the TV screen isn´t bright enough, so the projection is rather dark.

i once saw this selfmade TV-projector on the british "brainiacs" show.
it looked really crappy and was not recommended.

but this overhead thing could work. but it's very big and loud. depends on your location....

I went for this out of curiosity..

Uter and complete and total BOLLOCKS.

Works, yes, but is so dim, even in a totally dark room, that its not watchable. All the pics are taken with long exposures, so the make the images look much brighter than they are.

CRAP - dont bother.

i think i'm just gonna sell off some crap from my room that i never use and just buy a projector for around £400 if possible.

i can hear the home contents insurance company laugh at the claim form already.

"fire damage to bed room from a OHP rigged to act as a projector after the little fan fell over made from instructions from the internet"

dont risk it.

Axeman are you sure? The Tom's Hardware guys spent a long time choosing a monitor and projector combo that would give the best image quality, and it is stressed many times that the image wasn't watchable until they tweaked the Windows display settings. Perhaps it takes a bit of work to achieve it - I don't see the benefit for them if they lie, since people would eventually find out.

I was like this before, all into the LCD Overhead projector. Then I discovered the lumenlab.com plans, which produce a substantially better result. And now I've gotten into buying used CRT projectors, as you can get an AMAZING one for 1/10th the price of an equally good digital. See what I bought here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It actually supports up to 1600x1200 resolution. And I got local pickup so no shipping charges! What a smoking deal

Also, I'm going to still build a DIY projector with the lumenlab plans. The 20k hour bulb life (for only $30 a bulb) is amazing, I could game all day with no guilt or worries (except the 400w of power needed). Here is a gallery of some completed ones if anyone is interested:

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Back