Psp From Ebay...worth The Risk?

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
I let an auction slip today, a V1.5 PSP from a US ebay shop for £139.99 including P&P.

It was a value pack, with a 'free' game, I let it go for two reasons;

1. Not enough free cash to spend on such a thing.
2. With all the scams and close downs, am I going to actually get a PSP? I'm a fairly wise ebayer and I've never had any trouble in years but something about it made my stomach turn. There are hundreds of PSP's for sale but every auction I look I just can't help think that its a con artist hiding behind some java scrolling text and bold TITANIUM POWERSELLER promises (wtf is a titanium power seller ffs? surely he would be too heavy to get to the post office to deliver my goods!).

So the big question, has anyone grabbed a psp from ebay recently? basically I'm trying to steal a bargain, I have about £150 and I'm looking to get a PSP value pack (dont care about the version no.) and one game preferably ridge racers.

Experiences and links appreciated.

Humph, I wonder if there is any way to filter the "FREE PSP, IPOD, FERRARI, BIGGER WILLY AND [*I AM STUPID SPAMMER*]!!!!!!" offers from E-bay... <_<

I'd sign up for one of those, but they are UK only... :angry:

And I don't have 14 friends. :(

:p

I heard stories of of people who bought 1.5 psp off ebay but got a higher version.
Make sure you can give it back when it isnt 1.5

Vimacs posted on Aug 16 2005 at 05:18 PM said:
I heard stories of of people who bought 1.5 psp off ebay but got a higher version.

I'm not fussed about the version to be honest, I just want to experience new shiny PSP games, I've got a Dreamcast,GP32, 2 PC's and a laptop so I have no reason to emulate on yet another system.

As for paypal buyer protection, I never thought that it would cover under £200 but I'll look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twimfy posted on Aug 16 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Aug 16 2005 at 05:18 PM said:

I'm not fussed about the version to be honest, I just want to experience new shiny PSP games, I've got a Dreamcast,GP32, 2 PC's and a laptop so I have no reason to emulate on yet another system.

As for paypal buyer protection, I never thought that it would cover under £200 but I'll look into it.

Even if it doesn't, then you're still protected by ebay I think. Also, you could use an escrow service. Only costs a few quid. If you offer the seller this and offer to pay the fees, and they still dont take it up, I;d be a little more suspicious...

I bought a PSP off ebay 1 week ago. A guy in the UK had about 16 1.5 psps to sell and I took the risk. I'm glad I did. He was very easy to deal with and I had it by the following day. I only wanted it for the emulators (having just got back into using my GP32 and therefore browsing this board again) and I can safely say my PSP won't ever see a commercial game or be upgraded unless of course, v2.0 fw is hacked.

It's too much fun playing Sensible Soccer (even if it is the megadrive version), Flashback, Sonic, etc on its beautifully clear screen to give up for the sake of expensive commercial games that I'd no doubt grow bored of within weeks.

I didn't get it cheap though. It cost me the same as what Game and others are currently taking pre-orders at but I'm more than happy to pay it for the 1.5 fw.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

Just bought this. A value pack including a game of my choice for a total of £210 inc. delivery from london by next day delivery.

I sold my iPod shuffle and my PS2 to fund it, my mates think I'm mental but my argument is that I don't use the PS2 and with a 521mb or 1gig Memory card I can pretty much recreate my iPod shuffle.

I feel very wrong spending so much money, but meh, it was gonna happen sooner or later.

The price isn't that bad either when you think about it. A uk released PSP will be £170 + a game at £25, it works out the same + delivery or petrol to my nearest likely retailer, after the months of waiting for them to come back in stock after the pre order sell out.

The FW is 1.5 (but could be 1.51 for all I know) but I don't care, just holding the thing will make me very happy indeed.

I would sell an iPod shuffle too! Why would you want a music player with out a screen? Selling the ps2 on the other hand I wouldn't do... But I guess whatever makes you happy! I'm glad you got your psp then. I bought a saturn off ebay and to make it run I have to hit it every now and then... hahahahaha :lol: I guess with a psp you can play ps2 like games and if you ever get the urge to play ps2 you can go to a mates house.

speedmike posted on Aug 18 2005 at 05:35 AM said:
I would sell an iPod shuffle too! Why would you want a music player with out a screen? Selling the ps2 on the other hand I wouldn't do... But I guess whatever makes you happy! I'm glad you got your psp then. I bought a saturn off ebay and to make it run I have to hit it every now and then...  hahahahaha  :lol: I guess with a psp you can play ps2 like games and if you ever get the urge to play ps2 you can go to a mates house.

Exactly. However the iPod shuffle was a wicked bit of kit and I miss it already.

My PS2 seldom got used anyway really, and I'm gonna pick up a gamecube again sometime soon which will cost practically nothing.

Man, I'm sitting at work and for all I know there could be a PSP at home(or a royal mail delivery card) waiting for me.

19/08/05: Bloody hell, I have my ebay registered to a different email address which I don't ever check as all correspondance usually comes up on my ebay account. However as a one off I thought it was due a clean up. What do I find in there? an email 2 days old from the ebay seller telling me that my paypal postal address is not verified and they will require scans of 2 utility bills to prove my residency (a little difficult seeing as it isn't my house and therefore not my bills).

The annoying thing is that my paypal account is verified up to the hilt in everyway so where they got that from I do not know.

Anyway I've sent them a scan of my most recent bank statement, if they decline that I'm screwed and they better send it god damn quick because I'm going to newcastle next week, and my car without music from my iPod at the moment is unbearable and I need the PSP to replace it asap.

What a farce eBay is becoming, although I can understand their position with all the fraudulent claims going on.

speedmike posted on Aug 18 2005 at 05:35 AM said:
I bought a saturn off ebay and to make it run I have to hit it every now and then... hahahahaha :lol:

Sounds like my 1st original playstation, when it stops loading the disc I used to give it a hard smack on the lid with my fist to make it load, and that was about 2 or 3 years ago, that thing is still working to this day :huh:

Those auctions for free ds/ipod/ps2/psp/whatever are pretty annoying, I was browsing ebay to see what a used Ds will cost when I see one for £50 on buy it now, I look at the auction and in pretty small print at the bottom it says the auction isn't for a real ds, only a link to where you can get a free one.

I got my psp on ebay for £122 inc p+p with mercury, I was told it was a 1.52 one but when I got it it was 1.5! joy.

Goity posted on Aug 19 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
I got my psp on ebay for £122 inc p+p with mercury

Slightly off topic but whats Mercury like goity?

I was hoping to pick it up launch day as it looks so different to all the other launch games.

razzy posted on Aug 20 2005 at 07:16 PM said:
Goity posted on Aug 19 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
I got my psp on ebay for £122 inc p+p with mercury

Slightly off topic but whats Mercury like goity?

I was hoping to pick it up launch day as it looks so different to all the other launch games.
It's really good... but hard. I can't really tell what genre it is but it's a really entertaining game which you can play for 5 minutes or an hour

Back