Hi Im New For The Gp2x

liammcc9 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
ya but its to much to read im lazy

Well, it should be pretty obvious where things go, if there's a directory stucture in the program archive. Readmes are very helpful though, most of them have just a few lines of actual instructions, the rest of the file usually just describes features and changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
i knew it no way is that gps true

but i can connect cd players and hardrives to it wow

has anyone tried the psx emulator is it at a ok speed

liammcc9 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
dose the gp2x have bluetooth

Ok, joking aside .. do some research. Read the stickied topics, browse the topics already posted, and use the search function. Asking these already-been-answered-ad-nauseum questions, especially in the wrong section is annoying.

And use proper English when writing on a forum such as this one ... it's not an IM program you know <_<

If you took time to formulate a proper sentence, you might be taken more seriously than a 12-year old AOLer with too much allowance to spend.

</ :angry: >

That said, you'll nead a Break out Box/Board (board at the moment, box when they finally design the casing) to connect other hardware properly, along with some extra cables, probably.

In terms of emulation, basically, PS1 is as far as we'll likely ever get. N64 is a no go (ok, so there's some debate, but to all intents and purposes, it's not something anyone will ever get working properly or playably, so the issue is moot), and GBA *may* happen someday. Previous consoles are mostly all there - especially the Sega ones.

If you've not come across the PC-Engine, you'll enjoy discovering the games for it. They ain't 3D, or even quite as pretty as the things the SNES churned out, but blimey, some of those shooters are fun.

Old PC games, though... just to clarify, they will not run natively. This is because the compiled excutables of the games were designed for x86 hardware running (typically) DOS. Rather, what happens, is that some games wouldn't run on Linux or modern Windows, so some rather nice developers decided to make their own interpreters for the data files. Which is to say, something that does the same job as the .exe for a particular game or set of similar games. The purpose of which was, typically, to get the game running properly in Windows or Linux or whatever. These engines and interpretters then get ported over to the GP2x.

So, in other words, we can run SCUMM games (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis - see www.scummvm.org) but we'd have a deal of trouble running, say, Magic Carpet, as no interpreter exists for it!

No.
Here's a list of all the things he can do hardware-wise. That's the basic things, if you buy a breakout box, you can add things like the cd drive etc. to it. And if you'd like to play other movie formats, there are unofficial players developed by the users of the board.
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X

Oh, and watch this movie on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NrTS_ut74

It's a fantastic movie that shows some emulators and games running on the gp2x.

Reguarding bluetooth:

Currently nobody other then nigelibrown has it, he has disappeared for a bit..maybe. He could be around and I just have not noticed. His website and cool store are down as well :(

it was here..if it ever comes back, it will probably be here http://www.toyz4boyz.co.uk/

liammcc9 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
Tobriand posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:17 PM said:
That said, you'll nead a Break out Box/Board

ya im getting that what is it
That is not a sentence, we can't understand you. Please speak English.

I built my own BoB anyway, you can't make me spend all that money on the official Break Out Board.

liammcc9 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:12 PM said:
im getting the Break out Box/Board but i dont know what it is

It gives you USB ports, svideo tv out, composite tv out, rca stereo audio out, JTAG port (to fix bricked gp2xs) and serial port (to read linux console from computer). But you need to buy the AC adapter for it.

Blah posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
liammcc9 posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:12 PM said:
im getting the Break out Box/Board but i dont know what it is

It gives you USB ports, svideo tv out, composite tv out, rca stereo audio out, JTAG port (to fix bricked gp2xs) and serial port (to read linux console from computer). But you need to buy the AC adapter for it.
Still no capitol letters or punctuation.

But like I said, you need another PSU just for this, it costs $50 and another $25. $75 for that is insane, especially with no case yet.

I am assuming you are a troll, no-one is going to buy one without knowing what it is at that price.

I apologize of course if you are filthy rich and just dumb. ;) (that winky means that I insulted you as I apologized, see what I did there.)

I retract it, I see now that he got it free, I feel his pain at getting some free extra crap.

nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
But like I said, you need another PSU just for this, it costs $50 and another $25. $75 for that is insane, especially with no case yet.
I thought with the Mk. II you only needed one PSU, unless you are using a high powered device.

g4m3r posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:03 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:27 PM said:
I thought with the Mk. II you only needed one PSU, unless you are using a high powered device.
NO. To enable more than ~200 - 300mAh draw a PSU is a must.

a $25 specialty 12 volt PSU to be precise.

Bullshit, the only reason for it is the USB hub in the Bob, USB is 5 volts.

Explain why GPH is so stupid as to require a 12 volt power supply for a USB Hub?

GPH is so stupid.

I suppose why not, but I would just as soon spend ~$14 on a full USB hub WITH a PSU.

I did in fact. Don't buy the BoB unless you need one. You will know if you need one.

I don't need one, I built my own. Wait for another option and don't buy GPH if you can help it if you only need USB.

This GPH BoB is a nasty hack for just USB.

Back