GP32 Here are some lame screenshots

Yes I meant Tenchu, but I know of Tenchi, and it was inevitable that I would mix them up :D
Currently I need enemy sprite artists...

Rico, if you think those are bad screenies, then you're insane. Seriously, those look amazing. Ninja Spirit I haven't played enough to say that's exactly what you need to build on, but I remember I played it a bit and *loved* the smoothness and quantity of the sword animations; they rocked :)

Question was asked - free or commercial? And are we going to be able to add maps/levels/etc either way? Hey - stick in gif cutscene abilities, and you could even have a couple of TCs :).

Or if you want to be *really* ambitious, remove the necessity for people you meet in levels to be hostile, add a simple talk system and the ability to declare and use variables and give us the first side-scroller platform RPG engine for GP32 :)

That was my intention. I hope to include towns with NPCs and shops. Training dojos. Talk system, rival gangs and gang headquarters. Tenchu-style missions. Zelda-style item/weapon system, varied mission approaches (grappling hook, poison flasks, swords, daggers, shruiken, bow and arrow, bo (poles) ...). There is a long way to go.

At the end of the 15 days a combat demo where you slaughter a few enemies with a variety of weapons would be good going for me. Exams do nothing to help, I wasn't even going to enter the contest 'til metellius came through with his excellent physics system.

Should be free ... depends on how much work I put into it. In fact it will probably be open-source. I can't see a way of making money from the game, really...and I've used so many free programs, both on and off GP32, that I need to give something back.

Finally ... levels are internally stored but I -will- move them to external files. Perhaps I will do this with the sprites also. You will probably be able to make your own 'free play' levels that have start point and mission objectives, but the rest of the game is tightly knit into a Super Metroid-style explorable world with a minimap :)

- Rico

may i ask who did the ninja sprite? it was completely done form the scratch? by who?

I have to ask this because it looks similar to an sprite from a guy over the pixelation boards (mainly the administrator -Tsugumo-) (pixelation.swoo.net) but with a changed palette...

That looks great! I love pixel art, so if there's any help you might need for a misc sprite or baddie here and there I'd be more than glad to help. I think I might be able to mimic your style... ;)

Check out my site - though there is very (like one piece or two) pixel art examples for an idea of what I can do.

Good work man!

the screenshots are badass man.. the palm tree kinda threw me off though (unless youre in Okinawa, Japan) ;)

i did some sprites of japanese bad guys about 6 years ago. let me pull em out and see if they can be fixed up.

I have to ask this because it looks similar to an sprite from a guy over the pixelation boards (mainly the administrator -Tsugumo-) (pixelation.swoo.net) but with a changed palette...
My sprites are mostly bY me but some are taken from other sources. The ninja is indeed a modification of Tsugumo's pic except:
- I edited every frame with some new stuff,
- I changed the colours,
- I made my own animation frames based on that, as well.

So although I used his sprite for a base I also did a lot of other work on it.
I will of course provide full credit, my readme file already has him in the credits for artwork as with anything else I did not do myself.

I believe I am justified in doing this as the emphasis for me is on coding, not artwork. I don't think this is any different to ripping video game sprites or asking someone else to do graphics for me (although some other people are helping out). I hope you understand that a one-man project takes a lot of time and sometimes I need a little help...

- Rico

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i can rip some pixels and edit them and use some other pixels and combine them to a new bad guy if u like :)

just send me the gifs u made or blank images of them so i know what size it would be

thats if u want some help :)

:ph34r:

Back