Help With Arch Linux

dflemstr said:
But what about simply adding the module to MODULES in /etc/rc.conf? That'd shorten down the boot time immensely. Is it because you need a way to "unload" the drivers at runtime? Because there's "rmmod" for that...

Because WiFi needs more modules than one. And it would be more convenient making it possible to switch it on AFTER booting, too :)

Well, the scripts to toggle WiFi, LCD Gamma, etc. can easily be used on Arch, too :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:
But what about simply adding the module to MODULES in /etc/rc.conf? That'd shorten down the boot time immensely. Is it because you need a way to "unload" the drivers at runtime? Because there's "rmmod" for that...

Because WiFi needs more modules than one. And it would be more convenient making it possible to switch it on AFTER booting, too :)

Well, the scripts to toggle WiFi, LCD Gamma, etc. can easily be used on Arch, too :)
So you disable WiFi by unloading the driver? Seriously? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
EvilDragon said:
dflemstr said:

So you disable WiFi by unloading the driver? Seriously? :p

Sure. As long as the driver is loaded, the chip is active, receives and transmits data and uses power.
ifconfig wlan0 down just disables the network, not WiFi.

Got a better idea? :)

Last edited:
Just found another Arch based ARM distro, which seems more maintained than archmobile
http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Portal:plugBox_Linux

That does look newer, issue, and more maintained, I'd say check it out gizmo... see if you can get the pandora kernel to function onder the plugbox env... from there, things should be a breeze (to some extent)... I was also going to suggest seeing if you can do some of the work on your pc via QEMU as it allows for ARM emulation on an x86/64 system. If nothing else, you could get the pandora kernel there and compile some of the more basic tools to get the functionality you need on the Pandora itself, install them and "hit the ground running" for getting a full system operational. I'd be more than willing to help weed out as many PKGBUILDs as possible for AUR once you get a workable image to play with... I'm sure not every pkg there can be compiled on ARM... but it will be fun to see what can be! :D

EvilDragon said:
Sure. As long as the driver is loaded, the chip is active, receives and transmits data and uses power.
That's not really true, when driver's up and interface shows up NetworkManager sees it and starts abusing it badly until it disappears again. The driver does nothing by itself, it even keeps the chip powered down while nothing uses it.

notaz said:
EvilDragon said:
That's not really true, when driver's up and interface shows up NetworkManager sees it and starts abusing it badly until it disappears again. The driver does nothing by itself, it even keeps the chip powered down while nothing uses it.
Sounds like some tweaks of the NetworkManager itself can improve the battery life too? :)

plugbox is the evil... or im stupid.
untar'd the rootfs to my sdcard (ext2), added boot.txt.

bootet.... seemed to lock up att SSH deamon start, which didnt matter much since loading of usb ether module failed.

restarted pandy, removed sdcard, and pandy wont boot....

gets to load xfce then shuts down....

ouch... that's definitely not cool, Gizmo. I sincerely hope you are able to get your pandora back up and running... did you make a backup of the nand ahead of time (pure curiousity)?

@ notaz: I'm actually surprised you guys aren't using wicd as opposed to NetworkManager... I have heard nothing but horrible things about NetworkManager and have not used it since my PCLinuxOS days back in 2007 (because it was default)... I'd suggest giving it a look, honestly... not sure if you can tweak things on the power efficiency side, but I've never really looked in-depth into it either. But I still say it's worth checking out. ESPECIALLY since it auto-remembers (and ACTUALLY remembers) current/previous hotspots you've connected to and auto-connects. Keeps track of them by namd and MAC address (if I recall last time I looked at the list in the file). Anyway, I'm not going to go rambling on beyond this point about how "great" wicd is... I'm sure you'll check it out for yourself and take things from there. :D

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
ouch... that's definitely not cool, Gizmo. I sincerely hope you are able to get your pandora back up and running... did you make a backup of the nand ahead of time (pure curiousity)?

@ notaz: I'm actually surprised you guys aren't using wicd as opposed to NetworkManager... I have heard nothing but horrible things about NetworkManager and have not used it since my PCLinuxOS days back in 2007 (because it was default)... I'd suggest giving it a look, honestly... not sure if you can tweak things on the power efficiency side, but I've never really looked in-depth into it either. But I still say it's worth checking out. ESPECIALLY since it auto-remembers (and ACTUALLY remembers) current/previous hotspots you've connected to and auto-connects. Keeps track of them by namd and MAC address (if I recall last time I looked at the list in the file). Anyway, I'm not going to go rambling on beyond this point about how "great" wicd is... I'm sure you'll check it out for yourself and take things from there. :D

I'm a wicd guy as well :)

I just reflashed the pandora to factory state, easy peasy ;)

cool... glad you were able to recover... I wonder, does the Pandora allow USB connectivity to the PC where the NAND is visible as an external storage device? for things like custom alterations and "specialty" packages, I'd like to be able to make a backup image of my pandora to re-image later if something goes haywire.

cool... glad you were able to recover... I wonder, does the Pandora allow USB connectivity to the PC where the NAND is visible as an external storage device? for things like custom alterations and "specialty" packages, I'd like to be able to make a backup image of my pandora to re-image later if something goes haywire.

not without some sort of os/bootcode form SD exposing it as such.
linux needs to run with the correct modules for that...

or wait, the serial thing in boot options might... but im to unsure to say.

I liked wicd, but it has 2 problems that Network Manager does not, IMHO. First, it displays your password in plaintext while you are typing them in, so that anyone can see them. -_- The Second problem is that if you have Wireless Networks that use a lot of routers, it views each of them as a separate network, whereas Network Manager views them all as one Network. You have no idea how annoying it is moving to a new router in the same wireless network and having to setup the config for the 10th time. -_-'

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:

I liked wicd, but it has 2 problems that Network Manager does not, IMHO. First, it displays your password in plaintext while you are typing them in, so that anyone can see them. -_- The Second problem is that if you have Wireless Networks that use a lot of routers, it views each of them as a separate network, whereas Network Manager views them all as one Network. You have no idea how annoying it is moving to a new router in the same wireless network and having to setup the config for the 10th time. -_- '

-God Ginrai

You mean access-points with the same SSID and encryption...

Edit: scratch that about plugbox being evil... i had to remove the battery to shut it off and inserted the battery badly, sigh, reflashed unneccesary, oh well :p

I notice this thread has been VERY quiet over the last 6 months and I'd like to know if any progress has been made. I have started making moves to attempt installing/running Arch Linux on the SmartQ V5II (placeholder till I get my Pandora, and a cool project to play with while I wait) and have started threads over at the Unofficial SmartQ Forum as well as the Arch Linux forum and the PlugBox Linux forum. I was just about to start one here when I remembered that this thread was already here. Have you made any progress, Gizmo? I'd like to share some info I have found over the last couple of weeks that may help in general if you are running into any other issues with getting this up and running. Let me know what's what and let's revive this topic and see if we can get a finished product going. If you're not still interested, let me know and I will pick up where you left off, as I'm looking to get Arch running on every device I put my hands on. :D

I had arch running for a while from SD. I installed the plugbox version and used the script (modified a little) from pandora itself to modprobe the wireless modules. everything worked quite well except for the touchscreen. I couldn't get tslib installed properly. And then i mucked up the sdcard and i haven't tried since. I do want to install it again though. Arch is cool.

Jurnd

I hear ED is a fan of Arch as well, so I figure if enough of us show active interest and run into issues we can't solve, he may be able help out as well. There's an interesting amount of Arch appreciation around the Pandora forums. I bet if Arch on ARM (either ArchMobile or PlugBox) was a bit more mature and well-supported, We'd all be playing with Arch-based Pandoras instead of Angstrom-based... :p

Back