[SOLVED]Building a usb wifi driver

you know, instead of putting together random USB WiFi drivers, why not look over the internal WiFi module, and see if you can improve the driver situation on that? That's one of pandoras biggest flaws, and some improvements would be welcome all around

First of all, I'm not qualified enough for this... yet.

Then I don't have a working wifi module on my Pandora (I actually don't have a working Pandora at all these days, waiting for my spare LCD cables to come), and RMA is not an option due to various reasons.

So the one I've built first I needed to get a working Internet connection, and two people use it as well which means three devices less for ED to fix because of this right now, then the second one gives the opportunity to use dongles with big antennas, if I understood that correct, which also can be useful, and the third is just for practice and learning - I never could sit down and learn something, there always must be a practical, real-life problem to solve, even if it's simple. So far I've learned to set up the cross-compiling environment and tamper (simple) makefiles, this one is a little bit more compilcated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that the 8192cu.ko kernel module here http://dl.openhandhe...i?0,0,0,0,1,438 works with the HornetTek Janus High Power 802.11 b/g/n WLAN USB adapter (RTL8192SU Chipset) on the Pandora running Hotfix 6 Alpha 4.

MAC225.rev_belkin.janus-218-85.jpg

It picks up just about every wireless access point in the universe, lol!

Thanks again for the driver Hoodoo.

THE DRIVER DISCUSSED HERE IS IRRELEVANT FOR ANY PANDORA OS VERSION STARTING FROM ZAXXON HOTFIX 6 RELEASE CANDIDATE! THE DEVICES MENTIONED HERE SHOULD BE SUPPORTED OUT OF THE BOX!

Hi,

So I've built my driver but installing it and it's dependencies tells me that something is wrong. I get it complaining about some symbols being different versions.

I followed hoodoo's first post quite closely, but I think there's one or two places where I may have messed up:

1. I used the Ivanovic's codesourcery based toolchain to build the kernel and driver.
  2. There's a chance I didn't apply all the patches cleanly from the recipes folder in the kernel ( but I'm pretty sure they did)
  3. I didn't bother with the debian squeeze stuff mentioned in Hoodoo's first post in this thread , problem?

Any other ideas? If not, I'm off to download DJWillis toolchain and get the source out from git again and apply the patches from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back