Heat

The only thing I am waiting for is for the betatesting of the Pyra's units. Then we will know about it with real experience and no with what ifs or maybes...

I expect some of the higher-profile devs will be getting prototype units to develop the OS on, and maybe some of the app developers.  That should give a good idea of whether the unit gets too hot or not.

Combine this idea... using liquid to transport the heat away from the Pyra...

AMD has the perfect solution:
R9_FuryX_Cooler_FlatAngle_4c_10inch_575px.jpg

;)
With this idea... using the user as a living heat sink...

I wonder though: how much Watt of heat can the passive heatsink handle? Is there a way to improve the overall thermal conductivity from the CPU to the user's hands? After all, the human body is a very thermally stable system which uses advanced evaporation and liquid cooling techniques, I'm sure it can help a lot.
Could include a pair of needles and tubes to tap into the user - user's arterial blood pumps through the Pyra to cool it and return to a vein.  The Pyra - cooled by dialysis/plasmophoresis (blood exchange).

OK, so we're not ready for the whole cyborg thing quite yet...

Could include a pair of needles and tubes to tap into the user - user's arterial blood pumps through the Pyra to cool it and return to a vein.  The Pyra - cooled by dialysis/plasmophoresis (blood exchange).   OK, so we're not ready for the whole cyborg thing quite yet...
That Idea gets my blood boiling...

;)

I wonder though: how much Watt of heat can the passive heatsink handle? Is there a way to improve the overall thermal conductivity from the CPU to the user's hands? After all, the human body is a very thermally stable system which uses advanced evaporation and liquid cooling techniques, I'm sure it can help a lot.
Could include a pair of needles and tubes to tap into the user - user's arterial blood pumps through the Pyra to cool it and return to a vein.  The Pyra - cooled by dialysis/plasmophoresis (blood exchange).

Might as well have it powered by the user as well.

;)

Might as well have it powered by the user as well.
Phase II. Iron rich blood based bio-inter-cooler will include a pass through a series of tubes wound around permanent magnets, generating a DC electrical charge that will then be used to power the device.

There are something about 39 degreese celsius now in some parts of germany,

Would the Pyra work on this hot days??

I remember the Pandora to play N64 at a Unimog Convention on a hot summer day,

But the Pyra is much faster..

At least i wants to be apple to play tetris on it..

And are they plans to make the Pyra a bit physikal thougher than the Pandora??

Yes. the pairing of Robert De Niro and Al Pacino should have made for a greater movie.. but sometimes shit happens...

Yes. the pairing of Robert De Niro and Al Pacino should have made for a greater movie.. but sometimes shit happens...
I wants to play tetris under the hot german sun, and you just telling something about al pacino and robert de niero??
What wrong whit you??

To many sunnshine today??

Remember me please somethime, to make a Summer Playlist on my Ipod Nano: i allready have a Winter Playlist whit song, they fit the winter, so i need one for summer..

The OMAP5 is rated stable in environments up to 80C. If it ever gets that hot I suspect you'll have bigger problems then whether you can play tetris or not :p

The OMAP5 is rated stable in environments up to 80C. If it ever gets that hot I suspect you'll have bigger problems then whether you can play tetris or not :p
[joke]New from CrapApp! The Pyra Coffee Warmer!

Keeps every chip on your Pyra running at maximum levels to generate as much heat as possible - then just use the Pyra as a coaster for your coffee cup and enjoy hot coffee to the last sip!

[/joke]

Seriously - I doubt that it will be able to get that hot even running flat out unless it's insulated in two pairs of hiking socks or something.

Seriously - I doubt that it will be able to get that hot even running flat out unless it's insulated in two pairs of hiking socks or something.
No no, that's not the maximum temperature it's safe to run AT, that's the maximum temperature it's safe to run IN. As in, if your house ever reaches 80C then it should continue to run just fine.I'm pretty sure the operating temperature of the chip is even higher than that.

They are both old and probably pretty frail now.  I hope the Pyra is tougher than they are.  I hope the Pyra doesn't look like them either.  Oh, and to keep it on topic, I doubt they can handle extreme heat very well...it would be nice if a device with a name like Pyra can withstand heat and not just burst into flames.

Keeping it operating is one thing, holding a 60°C hot device at a 40°C enviroment the other.To be honest I will not even leave the house at such a weather (laying under the sun wtf?) so I'm not that bounded to a portable device then.

I am allergic to too much heat. Everything breaks down, especially my sense of humour. I doubt I'll ever use the Pyra in the sun. Trying with the Pandora was always a painful experience.

What? You want me to go to the beach?

Ask me again when its nice and overcast.

I'm right there with you, hiding from the heat in my house right now.

What people like about this is completely beyond me. This weather is suffocating.

At least my computer is mobile, so I can sit wherever it is coolest.

Back