Possible ban on 'large electronics' on planes might help sell Pyras

second exodous

Advanced Member
So Trump told Putin that ISIS might be planning on turning notebooks into bombs so a ban on 'large electronics' might come to who knows how many countries. Apparently they already have this ban in predominately Muslim countries, although they just don't allow 'large electronics' as carry-on, but stupidly allow them to be checked. A bomb on the plane is a bomb on the plane, in coach or cargo, right? I don't get it.

Anyway, thin tablets with BT keyboards might become king, maybe the Pyra can, it is a full PC in a small package.

MODS: Can you change the title from

Possible ban on 'large electronics' might help sell Pyras
to
Possible ban on 'large electronics' on planes might help sell Pyras

Happy to oblige - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:
the pyra might be thick
Are you calling her fat? Don't you know she's very sensitive to that? What's your order number?
[doublepost=1495377552,1495376792][/doublepost]MSM says the same as what reverberates in this thread (chosen one link from many):

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/16/opinions/extension-laptop-ban-opinion-schneier/index.html

edit:
The ban seems more intrusive. Batteries that are not fixed have to be taken out, thus, yes, you can take your Pandora/Pyra, but without a battery... kind of pointless...

http://www.popsci.com/new-ban-on-large-electronic-devices-in-airplane-cabins#page-4

Last edited:
Pyras in transparent cases will be available at every airport, portable computing world domination is at hand.

Pyras in transparent cases will be available at every airport, portable computing world domination is at hand.
Nah, already bought a "Pira" and a "Peera", and they are cheap knockoffs with nubs that are not even connected and that apparently only play tetris (forty types of tetris, although the box says '40 games included', which makes it technically true).
In other news, have you looked at the moon lately? Somebody deployed a laser array on it. It now says "Hack the planet" with a Pyra logo next to it. Pretty cool.

gotta go, need to take my meds...

Last edited:
The ban seems more intrusive. Batteries that are not fixed have to be taken out, thus, yes, you can take your Pandora/Pyra, but without a battery... kind of pointless...

http://www.popsci.com/new-ban-on-large-electronic-devices-in-airplane-cabins#page-4

You can still run a Pyra off microUSB power if you're allowed to take a charger on board.

Edit: From what I've read on that article, if you remove the battery from your Pyra, it's the battery you'd have to take in the cabin according to FAA rules, and the Pyra you'd need to put in the hold.

Last edited:
Pyra is "da bomb"!

Oops. I guess it will be banned now.

I really don't think it will have any impact on Pyra sales. My guess is that in many places this restriction, if it eliminates carrying of laptops on planes entirely, will only be a problem for business/professional travelers, nerds, and gamers (maybe a few other groups I am overlooking). Your average consumer seems to use smartphones or maybe tablets, not something like a laptop. I do admit that I haven't done any traveling by plane in the last few years, so maybe laptops are more popular than they seem.

Why can't laptops be x-rayed and sniffed? Maybe all luggage should be banned so that only passengers and the garments they are wearing are permitted (no shoes allowed, you know why). If that doesn't eliminate the talk of things that might go boom on planes, maybe just ban air travel altogether. From there can further reduce such talk by banning all travel...Still no good? Ban anything that moves. Or doesn't move, because stationary things are more likely to be bombs. Also, ban advertising and lights, because they might be mistaken for bombs.

Or everyone can stop the scare mongering, or falling for it, and just live. Reacting to things like this is as much a goal as any death, injury, or destruction caused by bombs, envelopes of powder, chem trails (oh, wait, that is governments, not terrorists...because there IS a difference) or whatever else.

People should be more concerned about what they put in their bodies, and I don't want more of a nanny state than I already have. The worst part is that the masses just accept such things, maybe with a bit of grumbling. I feel like I should go pick up a big greasy burger, cooked rare, with some fries slathered in fake cheese and chili, with a milkshake on the side and go play with some homemade, uh, we'll call em "firecrackers". My govt says my meal is fine, but not what I want to do while eating it.

I have already gotten too carried away, so I will stop my rant here.

Reactions: ___
Because a li-ion battery is very close to being an incendiary bomb as is - just short a couple of terminals on most batteries with a thick enough cable and they'll enter thermal runaway quite merrily.
There is enough potential energy in even a cell phone battery to blow a small hole in an airplane. Banning "large" electronics doesn't eliminate or even practically reduce the threat and anyone who claims it does is an idiot. Either the politicians pushing for this are idiots or they're not that stupid and see it as a means to control. Probably a little of both.

There is enough potential energy in even a cell phone battery to blow a small hole in an airplane. Banning "large" electronics doesn't eliminate or even practically reduce the threat and anyone who claims it does is an idiot. Either the politicians pushing for this are idiots or they're not that stupid and see it as a means to control. Probably a little of both.

Just punching a hole in the thin aluminum skin doesn't even require explosive force. I've seen tears in wings from ground maintenance equipment mistakes. A jet will still fly and keep up pressurization even with a few modest sized holes in it. The seals are good, but all jets leak some. That is OK as the systems are built to account for it.

A high explosive charge the size of your cell phone battery -could- put a hole in the skin. That isn't what they are concerned about though. It isn't likely to bring down a jet or result in more than a handful of casualties. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Where the concern likely comes in is in a device large enough and shaped properly to cause structural damage significant enough to be a risk to secondary explosions (Jet fuel & Jet batteries) OR structural damage to flight control surfaces or their controls OR using a charge for cockpit entry. So, from the recent news it has become less murky what the bad guys have in mind. The experts have apparently decided that to accomplish those goals a charge would have to be larger than a cell phone battery. How much larger? I don't know. Is that physical size or mAh capacity? I don't know. Are they altering / rigging stock batteries to become weapons or replacing all or part of them with a compact high explosive - I don't know. But - since they didn't ban all electronic devices - there must be a minimum threshold that is of concern.

We have all been pretty willing so far to give up a pretty long list of freedoms for an enhanced feeling of security. Even in the unlikely event of world peace, I doubt that those in power will be as willing to give freedoms back as they were to request that they be surrendered. Powers likes power after all.

doesn't matter for most freedom loving activists anyway... use encryption and tor enough, post critical comments on the internet and it might land you on the no-fly list. air travel won't be of much concern then anymore.

seriously though: this is such BS. I don't even want to fly anywhere anymore. not because I am afraid of terrorism, but because I'd have to endure security screening and pretty much strip naked privacy wise. fuck that. people in countries that have barely experienced any terrorist acts running scared because of a few incidents. ask the people living in israel/gaza what their daily life looks like, if you want to know what actual terrorism is.

I think cars should be banned, worldwide. they are a health risk. so many people die on a daily basis, it's worse than smoking and terrorism combined :D
afk to smoke some healthy organic fairtrade columbian crack now...

I don't even want to fly anywhere anymore. not because I am afraid of terrorism, but because I'd have to endure security screening and pretty much strip naked privacy wise.
This...

I think cars should be banned, worldwide. they are a health risk.
...and that.

Well, perhaps not completely banned, but it does highlight a flaw in human risk perception. I'm vastly more likely to be run over crossing the road than I am to be killed by terrists or sharks or whathaveyou.

Last time I checked, in the UK, there is a fatal rail accident* every five years, and a fatal road accident every five hours.

*Not counting road-rail collisions at level crossings, where it is clearly the road user's responsibility to give way to trains.

Well, they recently started asking you to boot your computer in airports - not only for international flights, but all of them. (at least in where I live)

result in more than a handful of casualties.
Even one casualty is all they need. One person dies from a "phone bomb", one plane depressurized and put in jeopardy because of a 2 foot hole on the hull, and suddenly even those won't be permitted. If "The Government" wants to know what you've been up to, all they need to do is wait for you to fly and then "lose" your luggage: cracking into your phone is only a matter of time, something they've already proven they can do and theoretically can be done fairly quickly now that they've got the resources from doing it once. I'm pretty sure they're hoping for such a terrorist attack just so they can make the case. Because it has never, ever been about protecting people: it's been about the illusion of security, and control.
I swear I didn't used to be this cynical. The only thing keeping me from full on conspiracy theory is a counter belief that no existing government is competent enough to pull of something so coordinated; I tell myself that everything they do is impotent knee jerk reactions and utter incompetence that only *looks* like a plan of domination.

Back