Heaters

dilawar987

Still Fresh
hi,

i have a small 2kw fan heatet and i'm thinking of buying a 2kw convector or oil heater. now is electricity consumed or bill the same for both small fan/heater and large convector.
as i'm thinking i'll get more out of the big heater with the same 2kw.

also second point. if the convector heater is bigger more heat should be produced compared to smaller fan/heater. and i don't mean more than 2kw is produced, but more overall heat is produced. can u clear this up for me.
Thanks.

(help appreciated)

You afraid that your gp2x will catch cold?

I doubt that fan heater makes heat by rotating his ... fan. So some kw surely comes to rotate fan and move warm air in area.

I'm happy user of oil heater (compact and 1500kw) and it hasn't blown yet...

P.S.: I'm also doubt that GP2X is generating such energy...

Direct heating with electricity is the same in both ways. 2kW are 2kW, no matter what. The fan in the blow heater consumes about 80W, so that leaves 1920W for heating.

Edit:
The oil heater will produce more infrared radiation. The human body will find that much more convenient than the hot air the blow heater produces.

mali said:
The oil heater will produce more infrared radiation. The human body will find that much more convenient than the hot air the blow heater produces.
Why not then use infared radiation heater?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are all 100% efficient.

Don't be tricked in to paying more for one with dubious claims about it being better.

The £9.99 heater in B&Q is the same as the £500 designer one elsewhere. They will both put out EXACTLY the same amount of heat for EXACTLY the same price on your electricity bill.

What IS more efficient is a heat pump, these are usually 3-4x as efficient and thus often cheaper than using even gas, they suck in heat from outside a little like a reverse fridge, this means you will need to put part of it on your outside wall or in your garden, then via 2 pipes connect it to the indoor unit.

An air source heat pump costs about £450 for one big enough to heat, say, the down stairs of an average house (or a very large room).

You need to work out how long you want to use it and why to see if it would be worth it. If you don't have gas at your house it is without doubt the best route to get a heat pump.

If you DO have gas - turn the heating up - it's about half the price of running electric.

craigix said:
The £9.99 heater in B&Q is the same as the £500 designer one elsewhere. They will both put out EXACTLY the same amount of heat for EXACTLY the same price on your electricity bill.
Right, totally agreed. However, aren't the claims more to do with how the heat is dispersed into the room?

Take a 2kW electric heater with no fan (say one of those 1950's bar heaters) and you'll be toasty right in front of it (and on the ceiling) but cold on the other side of the room. Use a 2kW heater with a fan and you'll improve the situation slightly (but not as much as you'd like).

However, I thought that the claims of some of these other style of heaters (say that heat soap stone and let it disperse the heat) is that because they actually release heat more slowly (and with less of an immediate temperature gradient) that the heat disperses better. Are they actually worth the extra money? I don't know...

I bought a 2.4 KW fan heater in robert dyas today for £19.99. It's a little noisy (think quieter than an xbox) but I'm nice and toasty

jdh2550 said:
craigix said:
Right, totally agreed. However, aren't the claims more to do with how the heat is dispersed into the room?

Take a 2kW electric heater with no fan (say one of those 1950's bar heaters) and you'll be toasty right in front of it (and on the ceiling) but cold on the other side of the room. Use a 2kW heater with a fan and you'll improve the situation slightly (but not as much as you'd like).

However, I thought that the claims of some of these other style of heaters (say that heat soap stone and let it disperse the heat) is that because they actually release heat more slowly (and with less of an immediate temperature gradient) that the heat disperses better. Are they actually worth the extra money? I don't know...

It comes down to insulation of the room too, and depends how long you want to heat the room for.

If I were you I'd get a £9.99 2kw fan heater, they can usually be set to 800w, 1.2kw and 2kw modes so you can adjust to suit.

I'd not bother with all that brick heating stuff, it would be better to just run the fan heater at 800w to release heat slower.

There was recently a case where one company was selling a heater for £900 with dubious claims about it being more economical than others, it contained bricks, fans, oil, the lot - tests showed it was no more effective than the said £9.99 one :lol:

was going to get 3KW convector now not sure. thinking of getting delonghi 3kw fan heater instead. abit cheaper.
anyone tried these one. any good?
HVE332-3
HMH443/3

Back