Heat

Just curious why you 3D printed it. Got pics?
Cost and lack of desire to go out, primarily.It was also a test: I downloaded the original model from thingiverse to try out and it worked well enough but I was going to get a piece of paper, shape it around my arm, cut and mark it acordingly, then scan and model that so it would form a perfect brace for my arm.

But the original worked well enough for the few days that I actually needed it that I didn't bother.

I'd suggest just a slightly different lower case design, perhaps something with a bit of contour to make it easier for the hands to hold but at the same time, providing a little bit of room for a small fan to promote airflow, sort of like how the nVidia Shield Handheld does it.

I'd suggest just a slightly different lower case design, perhaps something with a bit of contour to make it easier for the hands to hold but at the same time, providing a little bit of room for a small fan to promote airflow, sort of like how the nVidia Shield Handheld does it.
You do realize how late in the design process the Pyra is don't you?

You do realize how late in the design process the Pyra is don't you?
I do, but the thing is, that as it'd just be a modification of the lower case design, it'd have next to no impact on the rest of the Pyra itself, just the plastic part of the casing that could be redesigned at any time and submitted for production. No modification of the PCB would be needed, except perhaps for  interface pins for the cooling fan to be attached. This was more of a suggestion for the inevitable minor revision of the Pyra later on down the road, where such things would be a much less significant hit than a completely new PCB redesign.

So... we should remove the battery? Otherwise, I have no idea how you would decrease it though.

So... we should remove the battery? Otherwise, I have no idea how you would decrease it though.
Thin aluminum sheet with a tab sandwiched between the SoC and the motherboard.

Add a slight wave/bend and it can feed forward right under the SD card cages.

It can then wrap down around the lower front edge of the device and back around to the battery door.

Heat sink/spreader on the SoC side to spread the heat load.  Passive radiator on the lower front edge to dissipate it to the atmosphere.

Hold that idea in reserve though until you know whether or not it will even be necessary.

Removal of the battery would defeat the purpose of being portable and handheld I would think! http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Laptop-internal-cooling-fan-For-ASUS_60087734834.html  Part number: KSB0405HB is the same fan that's inside the nVidia Shield handheld and a lot of Asus EEEPC's, if the lower shell was made a little thicker beneath the main PCB to make room for it and the battery (It's only a few mm thick), this small fan could be sandwiched between the battery and the main PCB and ducted to the back or bottom in the event heat buildup becomes a problem. If there was going to be a passive heat sink inside anyway, this could be combined with a lower profile heat spreader.

Just a suggestion in the event heat becomes a problem, there's ready-made components available that might be worth considering as a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fan addition was a joke as there were discussions that it will kill the battery much quicker and make the device thicker and heavier and changing the design now means Two Months until we see the Pyra. Don't know much about electronics but Grench's suggestion sounds good without killing the battery and thickening the Pyra.

AMD has the perfect solution:

R9_FuryX_Cooler_FlatAngle_4c_10inch_575px.jpg

;)

Ah! If you can't blow it out, you suck it out :)

Maybe Pyra should use the two speakers space for the fans to suck the heat out ;)

No moving parts please. Apart from the rumble motor (which is a completely non-essential component) and the built-in speakers (it's hard to move the air without moving anything else), the Pyra does not have any moving parts, which means it is silent, shock-resistant, low-power.

Adding a fan to such a small device is a bad idea for another reason besides power consumption, noise, dust accumulation and the extra physical volume needed to place the fan: there is barely any air in the device, and if you're holding it in your hands (which can happen with handheld devices), it will mostly be surrounded not by air, but by human skin. It's not so easy to find a location on the case that is unlikely to be covered.

I wonder though: how much Watt of heat can the passive heatsink handle? Is there a way to improve the overall thermal conductivity from the CPU to the user's hands? After all, the human body is a very thermally stable system which uses advanced evaporation and liquid cooling techniques, I'm sure it can help a lot.

Back