Heat

Mikelle02

Still Fresh
 I have the intention to buy two Pyras but I'm worried about the heat.
I heard that it can go up to 70/80 °C .. That's quite alarming for me . I'll probably buy a Pandora 1 ghz vrs. anyway.

But I's the Pyra going to have that issue once produced ?

It is true that the OMAP5 on the devboards gets quite hot. ED has mentioned that actions will be taken in the Pyra design to reduce the heat problem to a reasonable level, depending on how much has to be done. Currently, the only design decision I'm aware of regarding heat transfer is the usage of the motherboard as a heatsink via a copper layer contacting the SoC.

I'd be interested in any hard stats people have on exactly how how the devboard CPU gets when running some of the software people are developing on it.  Although I understand the devboard CPU is covered by a heatsink, which can't used in the final Pyra cos it's too big.

This thread reminds me of potential problems people seem to be overlooking in another thread when discussing future upgrades.  Heat must be considered now or, even with the modular design, some upgrades might not be possible.

Well, we will know for sure how much heating we'll have when the prototypes are built, same for power usage.

True, the OMAP5 can get quite hot, but usually only when you're really stressing the unit (compiling, etc.).

In normal usage, it shouldn't get too hot, but we'll test that.

We could also add a user settable temperature cap, to make sure it doesn't get too hot - it'll clock down the CPU when the temperature gets too hot, but you would still have a LOT more CPU power than with a Pandora.

My question is.. Can the plastic handle the heat so we don't end up with a massive melted spot where the heat is dispersed?

My question is.. Can the plastic handle the heat so we don't end up with a massive melted spot where the heat is dispersed?
80C is nothing to most plastics. Even PLA just kinda gets soft at around 100C.

Could you please elaborate on "kinda gets soft"?
The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

A trick in 3D printing is to make an item out of PLA and then submerge it in boiling water. After a few seconds you can pull it out of the water and then mold it around something. I made a wrist brace that way, you 3D print it flat, boil it, and then just squeeze it around the arm. It doesn't become droopy or mush, just... pliable. Most likely the case'll be made of some kind of ABS at worst which has an even higher glass temperature. It might cause a problem if the CPU reaches 100C for an extended period of time, but I wouldn't bet on it, trust that the case manufacturer knows what it's doing and is selecting a temperature resistant plastic, something dishwasher safe.

I made a wrist brace that way, you 3D print it flat, boil it, and then just squeeze it around the arm.
Just curious why you 3D printed it. Got pics?

I am more concerned about the Pyra killing itself due to the heat than the case melting.

On a side note, will the case have some texture, or will it be completely smooth?  I would like a slightly rough texture.

Last edited by a moderator:
trust that the case manufacturer knows what it's doing and is selecting a temperature resistant plastic, something dishwasher safe.
^ CONFIRMED: Pyra will be dishwasher safe.

That's good to know! If my Pyra gets dirty, all I have to do is run it through the dishwasher to make it clean enough to eat off of. :p

Back