Heat Spreader Performance and Overclocking

Hi all :)

@ouzle : thank you for the detailed answer, really appreciated !

The temperatures script just returned the following values:

samuel@pyra:/usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux$ ./temperatures
Mon 14 Jun 19:51:32 CEST 2021 67° 67° 65° 44° 3672mV 1000MHz

Isn't that a bit too warm ?

It's almost 8 P.M where I live and 31.5° C indoors, and it's not summer time yet :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

You can limit the CPU speed which will keep it a bit cooler.
There's not much else you can do - unless you find the time to improve and debug the overall system (for example, find out if something needs too much CPU power, etc.)

Output of "htop" may tell which processes are using more CPU power, with full fledged desktop running there will some not needed processes. I don't know how well it will run but I think LXDE will use much less cpu and ram compared to mate or xfce.

Output of "htop" may tell which processes are using more CPU power, with full fledged desktop running there will some not needed processes. I don't know how well it will run but I think LXDE will use much less cpu and ram compared to mate or xfce.

It's probably more small things like IRQs and other stuff needing to much power - because the system gets warm even when idling.

You can also view named kernel threads in htop by pressing upper case K (lower case k is for kill, so be careful). Or if you just want a single snapshot rather than a continually updating list, ps -ely --sort pcpu will print out all threads including kernel threads sorted so that the higest percentage cpu thread is listed at the bottom (or you can do ... --sort time which will sort based on cumulative cpu time since boot, which might be better for sporadic threads you might miss)

Hi all !

If I remember correctly @EvilDragon you once suggested adding small fans inside the SD card slots.

Is this option still around ? I'd prefer to stick to passive cooling but my Pyra feels really warm at the moment...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Not inside the SD card slots, but you can put them directly to the heatsink. There are small enough ones that fit. They're pretty annoying in sound though.

I don't think your Pyra runs hotter than others... So I wonder of you're more sensitive here?

Oh, have you lowered the LED brightness of the keyboard? These run at full strength as default, and they can warm the keyboard quite a bit.

Variance in manufacturing can be pretty huge in silicon chips - surprisingly there isn't even a direct connection between heat and energy consumption.

der8auer made a video (German version) about a year ago where he compared 30 Intel CPUs of the same model but from different manufacturing batches, and the magnitude of variance was pretty insane.

Wow, didn't expect it to be THAT big... but it still shouldn't go very hot when idling.

Hi all,

@EvilDragon : you're right, I'm quite sensitive to heat. Unfortunately for me, I'm also sensitive to noise, a noisy fan would just drive me crazy :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi again,

I just downloaded @ptitSeb 's VDrift DBP (1.4GB) and the Pyra got VERY warm while doing so. I know I'm sensitive to heat, but still... Maybe there's something going on with the WiFi chipset ?

/me sticking my hands for some minutes in the fridge before holding the Pyra :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi again,

I just downloaded @ptitSeb 's VDrift DBP (1.4GB) and the Pyra got VERY warm while doing so. I know I'm sensitive to heat, but still... Maybe there's something going on with the WiFi chipset ?

/me sticking my hands for some minutes in the fridge before holding the Pyra :D

Cheers, Magic Sam
I'm kinda curious what the surface temp of your unit is reaching, and how it compairs to other people doing similar tasks. Do you have access to a infrared thermometer? I know that at least around where I live most businesses are using them to verify their staff's temperature. The one at my workplace has a toggle for person vs object.

Back