overclocking

Delsabre

Website
nuqlear.com
this is my first post here, so first, info on me.

i just bought a GP32 yesterday, but it hasnt arrived yet. so i havent actually wrapped my sweaty palms on one. the information here i have gathered from my experience with computers.

What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is basicly, making something run faster than the manufacturer intended. Many things can be overclocked. The most popular things to be overclocked are processors, mainly the CPU.

How does it Work?
Overclocking can be achieved by increasing the clock speed for the CPU (hence overclocking). This does not actually speed up the processor, but rather the rate at which data is entered into it. The maximum speed possible is determined not only by the CPU you are trying to overclock, but also by the motherboard's bus speed and the RAM. The CPU will eventually reach a speed when it can no longer produce a 'clean' signal (data in digital devices are stored as zeros and ones, overclocking to far will cause the CPU to emit '0.5's and such), overheat, or become to fast for the rest of the system to keep up.

How can I do It?
From what I hear you can change the clock speed directly through software with the GP32.

What are the Dangers?
Overheating. The CPU may seem "Just a bit warm" on the outside, but its internal temperature may be much hotter. When the CPU overheats, it causes electromigration. This is when the insulator in the chip becomes so hot that it becomes electrically conductive and current begins to 'jump' through the CPU. This will cause errors and lock-ups. Damage from electromigration is slow and generally will not be seen again unless the CPU overheats. Severe overheating will of course fry the chip and stop all function.

I hope this has been helpful.

you are talking about computers though right now a test is being done to see if the gp32 will fry becuase alow it is very similar to your computer the 2 are diffrent and the gp32 may not have the same problem with heat

Yeah, iv anyones read the threads on gp32emu (it might also be on here, i might just not have read it yet). That craig sacrificed a gp32 to test over clocking and (as long as it runs stably at this speed in the first place), it seems that over clocking doesnt really damage the machine. Thats SEEMS to be the case. Im not sure what would happen if u left it overclocked for like 3 weeks straight. Also it seems that you need a stable high power supply, like a wall plug jobby to run stably sometimes.

The CPU is never going to get hot enough to "fry" itself. I've fixed laptops where the CPU fan stopped working, and the heat sink got hot enough to melt right through the exterior plastic of the CPU cover. The PCB around the CPU socket was browned by the heat, but the CPU itself (in this case, a Celeron 300) still worked fine after it had cooled off. It's pretty difficult to cook a CPU, and I don't think it's even possible with 2 AA batteries.

If you try to run the CPU faster than it is designed to run, it will become unstable and stop working, but the chances of any permanent damage to the processor are slim.

What you DO have to worry about is the LCD panel. It has been reported that overclocking the CPU raises the voltage to the LCD panel, and that can permanently damage the display. Also, just because you can't get the CPU hot enough to toast itself, it CAN cook the LCD, which is directly above it. An LCD display is much more succeptable to heat damage than the processor.

If there are any actual accounts of somebody's GP32 dying due to overclocking, I'd like to hear about it.

That laptop story sounds bogus, but it might be true as i have never overclocked anything that runs on batteries. im not sure.

Also, I said severe overheating. I believe the temperature at which the internals of a CPU begin melt is over 100 degrees celsius (really really hot). It is actually possible to overheat a CPU in a computer beyond that point, but in hindsight I can see that it would be fairly difficult to achieve that temperature with 2 AAs. ;)

Want to fry a processor?
Just put a modern (1,5GHz +) one into a PC motherboard which doesn't check the processor heat or the fan, leave the processor alone (without any cooling device) and turn on for about 10 seconds.
Okay, dinner's finished. Have a good appetite ;)

Anyway: craig has experienced no problems this far. The GP32 doesn't get warmer, the LCD is still fine.
Now he's trying the same thing with a FLU version.

EvilDragon - That only really applies to AMD processors, P4s have speed throttling that prevents the core melting. Not that I have anything against AMD, you're a fool if you dont put the heatsink on properly.

Noone has said this yet, so I think that you should know it, you can safley OC to 133MhZ, and mabye more (166 is highest possible) but it is noones fault if your GP32 breaks at over 133MhZ

Overclocking.. one should keep in mind that GP32 has three different clocks that can be overclocked. One is for the CPU, which ppl usually understand as overclocking. The two other clocks are for timers, LCD, memory, sound, USB, busses and such. These two clocks are derived from the CPU clock and have the max speed of 66MHz.. so with slightly false settings you can overclock these two clocks at e.g. 67MHz CPU clock and when you are running CPU over 132MHz you are then automatically also overclocking at least one other additional clocks. Anyway the point of this rant is that the CPU is not that "vulnerable" to slight overclocking but these other two clocks get things going wrong pretty easily.. getting odd phenomenons & other poltergeists. :blink:

Oh, I always wanted to have a poltergeist :)

BTW: Didn't know that Intel has speed throttling - since when does anyone think about their product when it comes to PC manufacturing? ;)

More or less everyone can run the GP32 at 156Mhz without any problems, it should be the new standard imho (instead of 133Mhz).

pip posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
More or less everyone can run the GP32 at 156Mhz without any problems, it should be the new standard imho (instead of 133Mhz).
:D Are you just posting this everywhere you can? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Namsu posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
pip posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
:D Are you just posting this everywhere you can? :p
If he is I think he should carry on, I think with a decent source of power i.e good batteries or PSU I think everyone can reach 156mhz no problem which would be great news for the whole scene especially the emu's.

unlucky posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
........thats just gr8 i mean my gp32 cant reach 150mhz what ever i do :/
@unlucky

I know what you are going through :) , Well i don`t actually as i can clock to 166mhz with batteries with no problem what so ever. :D

Seriously <_< , What you should do is sell your current GP32 on ebay or where ever, Then use the money to get a FLU. With any luck :p you may get a GP32 you can overclock into the bargain.

Just a thought

Trooper

Think of overclocking as driving your car at its max speed, you know it wont be able to handle it for very long and you will ruin your cars engine. Just because a high speed is possible doesnt mean that you should go that fast. Maybe it was pointless to post this because everyone alrady knows, but oh well...

Back