Have You Encountered Any Defects On Your Pandora So Far?

Does your Pandora suffer from any hardware defects?

• Total voters

@ lucidchaos, How'd you get a dead 0 key? Thanks for posting that, I'll remember to check the keys on my keymat next time.

@ ED, if you're that worried about it why don't you make your own official sticky regarding QC issues then all newcomers will read that straight away? And also if you are offering to refund shipping for returned units please put that info there too, I was not aware of that and I would've sent mine back long ago.

DaveC said:
I would like to know what is being done to fix the bezel bowing issue (my un-painted prototype bezel is next to perfect, maybe a .25 mm gap which would be acceptable even to Sony). As the designer of the case no one has contacted me to revise any CAD files for any mold revisions.

That is the only way to fix that issue is to make the inner lid section smaller to compensate for the extra 4 layers of paint in there now that wasn't designed to be had in. Honestly I should revise more of the case sections to compensate for paint so it isn't so hard to assemble.

Either that or stop painting cases but I don't think that is still an option right? What is the solution so far for that issue?
They've promised not to paint the edges anymore and say they can control where it goes. The design doesn't need changing. We had it right already. We just can't seem to get anyone to manufacture anything in quantity the same way it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
quartercast said:
@ lucidchaos, How'd you get a dead 0 key? Thanks for posting that, I'll remember to check the keys on my keymat next time.

I found out I had the dead 0 key during the first boot sequence when I entered my user name and password.

MWeston, quick question regarding the headphone jack: I seem to recall that the jack was used for both line input and stereo output. Is the jack equipped for any sort of 4 conductor plug, standard or otherwise? Or is my memory just foggy and it doesn't support line in?

MWeston said:
DaveC said:
I would like to know what is being done to fix the bezel bowing issue (my un-painted prototype bezel is next to perfect, maybe a .25 mm gap which would be acceptable even to Sony). As the designer of the case no one has contacted me to revise any CAD files for any mold revisions.

That is the only way to fix that issue is to make the inner lid section smaller to compensate for the extra 4 layers of paint in there now that wasn't designed to be had in. Honestly I should revise more of the case sections to compensate for paint so it isn't so hard to assemble.

Either that or stop painting cases but I don't think that is still an option right? What is the solution so far for that issue?
They've promised not to paint the edges anymore and say they can control where it goes. The design doesn't need changing. We had it right already. We just can't seem to get anyone to manufacture anything in quantity the same way it seems.
Ok they would have to prevent the paint from going to the outer edges of the inner lid AND the inner walls of the outer lid. I hope they can do that reliably.

quartercast said:

Well, since some failed at the beginning, we are pressing every single key as a test :)
So hopefully, shouldn't happen anymore.

Last edited:
MWeston said:
Thanks for that ;) the most conprehensive answer in a while :)

lucidchaos said:
MWeston, quick question regarding the headphone jack: I seem to recall that the jack was used for both line input and stereo output. Is the jack equipped for any sort of 4 conductor plug, standard or otherwise? Or is my memory just foggy and it doesn't support line in?
Oh no, it is a standard 3.5mm jack with the extra fourth pin. If you plug in a normal 3-pin jack, then the fourth one just gets grounded because the missing ring is replaced by a longer ground ring. That fourth pin is the microphone input so it is safe to ground it when not needed.

Line inputs are only available on the A/V connector at the back.

lucidchaos said:
Is the jack equipped for any sort of 4 conductor plug, standard or otherwise?
The pinout can be found in the Hacker's Manual(see Hardware Hacking section).

@ED
Posting till 5:30 in the morning? :blink:
Better book the next vacation already ;)

I loved my (broken) units and your service is great regarding sent back units, I don't know what everybody is complaining about. I would be complaining if you told me I broke it or something and then refuse repair. So far its been pretty smooth sailing for me from buyers side.

EvilDragon said:
That's exactly what I am thinking, too.

Trolling will not help - in fact, it will hurt the project or any future sales. No one is gonna gain anything from that.
If I run out of money, the servers would need to be closed down... no file archives, maybe even no boards anymore (unless hando is in the mood of moving again and paying server costs).

It would not only mean the end of one of the biggest achievements in the OpenSource-Gaming-Handheld-scene, it could kill the biggest scene around any of those handhelds.
Is THAT what people want here? Instead of trying to support and help us fix the few remaining issues the Pandora has and MAKE it the coolest handheld around there?

Are there really so many people who just want to see everything go down in a big bang?

Hello,
As an open-source developer, an open-hardware lover, and an electronics hobbyist, I'd really love to see this project succeed. Exactly like most of us here.
That's why I was wondering how I could help. Offering my spare time to help "physically" the team is far too complicated. Developing for the Pandora is a thing I plan (but I prefer having my unit before). One possibility remains : the dev fund donation. How is this fund used ? Could donating to this fund make things go smoother ? Would this fund help in case the OPT runs out of money ? Would it be useful to make a donation now, and if so, why ?

Thanks

Yesterday my screen went a bit light turquoise/cyan (where it should've been white) when the lid was at an angle of about 140°. At 90°, 120° and 180° it was fine...

Pickle said:
Just noticed on mine this morning a hair line crack by the usb plug.

Interesting, mine started that way and then grew bigger. In the end the top and bottom pieces started bowing apart.

javaJake said:
One of my LEDs don't work on my replacement Pandora. We'll see if there are any more faults.

Ha! Damnit - the LEDs are one of those things I don't think we test.
AFAIK they should've been tested in Texas though :/

Last edited:
Are the LED's part of the motherboard or attached to the case? Is it an easy fix to DIY?

Poor javaJake! I didn't know you sent yours back too :)

quartercast said:
Are the LED's part of the motherboard or attached to the case? Is it an easy fix to DIY?
They're on the board. They're pretty small, but doable if you have decent soldering kit and a steady hand.

My Pandora has been getting a bunch of use. As far as defects, my A button was initially wonky and my shoulder buttons needed a little more work. Screen bezel is everyone's issue, so far my hinge, LCD, and unit have been all around solid. My nubs have been pretty good as well. But who knows what's in store.

Overall I'm still totally stoked on this thing, its been much fun and very much worth the wait in all aspects. All the folks doing software ports are kicking ass and the OS is rocking steady, improving all the time.

I've been reading the forums for the last few days and haven't been able to post. I really look forward to batch 2 Pandoras as I'd like to just let # 14 collect dust if it will endure these hours of play.

Keep your heads up OPT, you are doing great work.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EvilDragon said:
Ha! Damnit - the LEDs are one of those things I don't think we test.
AFAIK they should've been tested in Texas though :/
Thankfully it's just the SD2 light, so I can get by without yet another RMA. Ever since I got my replacement, my experience has gone from neutral to wonderfully positive. :)

Heh, you know, my first one (the one with the missing light-pipe and all that) had no green power-on LED. I didn't even realise there was supposed to be one until it was replaced. :p

Back