After a week with the Pandora....

Gein07

I have to say it didn't live up to expectations..... It absolutely smashed right through them!!!

I'm not one for long reviews, so I'll just say this. The hardware is amazing and surprisingly more compact than I was expecting. From nubs to button responsiveness, everything feels just right which is something I have not said about any other handheld I've ever had, and I've had them all! Amazing job OP team! I can't believe I've got a full computer in the palm of my hands, and aside from supplementing my gaming needs this little piece of kit will serve me beautifully at work as well.

On the software side of things, the ecosystem is maturing every day, and the PND concept is beauty in motion. That's not to say everything is easy. Like all things emulated there is some trial and error involved, but the support forum has answered every question I've had so far and it has been great! The option to go between the more lightweight minimenu or the heavy-hitting xfce is really awesome. I flip-flop between the two as I'm trying to learn alot more about Linux, but minimenu puts me right at home when I need to switch my brain off and get right to my gaming apps.

As for true cons I've really only had one real issue, and that is some odd screen distortion under fluorescent lighting. I have no idea what it is or what is causing it, but it can be slightly distracting when trying to play under harsh fluorescent lights. (See my support thread for pics) My Pandora also has the screen bezel bowing, but I was expecting that as just a niggle with the case manufacturing.

For anybody still waiting in queue, don't lose hope. I promise you despite all the delays that this device is worth every ounce of your devotion and continued support. There will come a point soon where you'll find yourself staring blankly at the Pandora screen trying desperately to decide which of the thousands of perfectly emulated games you want to play first. It is something I struggle with nightly.

To the Pandora Team, you guys rock. I didn't think a device like this was possible, and I still find it hard to believe. I truly hope none of you become discouraged either from all the bumps in the road with this machine. You guys created something amazing, and in alot of ways you are doing things the right way when all the bigger/better known names like Sony, Nintendo, and Apple stumble. You can count on my money if and when you ever decide to create a follow-up to this machine.

Gein

..... Well what do you know, you made me make a long post after all.

Good stuff, mate and I'm glad that you're also happy, because that makes 2 of us now. :)

Also, my heart was beating relatively fast or like a mofo when I read the very first few words of your post,

"After a week with the Pandora....

I have to say it didn't live up to expectations....".

And then I was relieved. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
As for true cons I've really only had one real issue, and that is some odd screen distortion under fluorescent lighting. I have no idea what it is or what is causing it, but it can be slightly distracting when trying to play under harsh fluorescent lights. (See my support thread for pics) My Pandora also has the screen bezel bowing, but I was expecting that as just a niggle with the case manufacturing.
My thoughts on this without seeing the pics is screen refresh rate vs. light flicker?

Only thing I could think of, get away from those lights, they suck your soul out.

Good stuff, mate and I'm glad that you're also happy, because that makes 2 of us now. :)

Also, my heart was beating relatively fast or like a mofo when I read the very first few words of your post,

"After a week with the Pandora....

I have to say it didn't live up to expectations....".

And then I was relieved. B)
That's funny the same with me I was like what? :blink:

I even read it twice and then read the following words and was glad I did. :p

Back