Have You Encountered Any Defects On Your Pandora So Far?

Does your Pandora suffer from any hardware defects?

• Total voters

^ That suck ass, which is why I'm waiting to hear about improved QC. Mine was built in the last run and I wouldn't want a replacement like it.

craigix said:
You're just going to end up with 'Screen bezel' from almost everyone as there is nothing we can do about it. Most people only notice it when it's pointed out to them however. It does not impede the operation of the Pandora.
It can't just be shaved down to size to compensate for the paint? Sure, the bowing doesn't affect operation but it doesn't exactly scream "quality" either.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
The cracks in the case don't happen here, I'm wondering if they happen during shipping.

My suspicion is that they may well happen during normal use due to the presence of a weak point in the plastic case.

The reason for this suspicion is that my unit developed a crack as per this thread.

There was no crack visible when I received my Pandora, it became visible after two or three weeks of my receipt of the Pandora.

The fact that the cracks appeared in the same place on a few different units does not seem to point to shipping damage. I'm not suggesting that this problem will affect any more than a small minority of Pandoras but it could be worth checking any returned units that have the crack to see if there is any visible problems relating to the moulding process.

Quoting our resident Pandora Tweaking expert:

mali said:
the crack is caused by tightening one screw too much.

Problem is, the thing was cracked when I got it and as time has passed it's gotten bigger. The top and bottom pieces of the base look as if they're bowing away from one another.

Alerino said:
wow Bos, and miss all the MSX fun... damn bad luck...
well, i don't know if this thread has anything to add to the already enforced QC, imho

Not to mention me trying to save the brave people of wesnoth, or solving the puzzle of templars and their broken sword, figuring out who has hexed the place, killing hitler (and maybe giving some love to those angry german sheppards, they are probably kind at hart but treated badly) , and all the poor tetris blocks that won't be in their place, probably Jean-Luc Picard and William Riker will miss the spectator , and the emotional pleads of Roky Erickson and Okerill River wont be heard by me anymore.

:(

I think I'm waiting for production to really ramp up and get to a decent pace, then I'll send mine in and hopefully get it back in a decent time frame. No sense sending it to them to wait for parts, I can still use it for some stuff in the meantime.

EmuGuy said:
I think I'm waiting for production to really ramp up and get to a decent pace, then I'll send mine in and hopefully get it back in a decent time frame. No sense sending it to them to wait for parts, I can still use it for some stuff in the meantime.

You can just ask them when they want it, I did, and they want it now :D

fearofshorts said:
This is a cute idea, but really: how many people out there are gonna be reading the forums this soon after getting their Pandora unless they have an issue?

I know that when I get mine, you all won't see me for a month!
And neither will my family.
Yes, this poll makes the most sense if everyone with a Pandora votes, not only people with faulty Units. But I guess that most people only vote if they have a faulty Pandora. So we can see what are the most common problems but not how many Pandoras are faulty at all. Nice Idea but not really a perfect solution. ^^"""

craigix said:
You're just going to end up with 'Screen bezel' from almost everyone as there is nothing we can do about it. Most people only notice it when it's pointed out to them however. It does not impede the operation of the Pandora.
You can't do anything but the Factory could if they are smart enough. Cover critical Parts from not to be painted or something like this. If paint is the only reason why the bezel bends, then the logic way is not to paint there (backside, side notches or whatever)

MDave said:
My hinge is getting pretty loose ... like half as loose when I first got it. Hopefully it doesn't get any looser ...
Craig tortured the hinge pretty badly, he says the Hinge is stable even after thousands of openings/closings.

fusion_power said:
Craig tortured the hinge pretty badly, he says the Hinge is stable even after thousands of openings/closings.
I think the difference is that the paint tightened them up a little, which people liked, but that has now worn off. (and helps explain why it is not practical to design them to be stiffer)

MDave said:
My hinge is getting pretty loose ... like half as loose when I first got it. Hopefully it doesn't get any looser ...

The hinge on my second unit was always a lot looser than on the first. After a few weeks of use it almost feels like my friends 3-year old DS. When locked into position, the screen is fine for normal netbook use or light gaming but wobbles about a bit when trying to complete a difficult level on Super Mario World. I hope this is 'as bad as it gets'.

Hmm, I forgot to include my first pandora and only filled the poll with my second. It's difficult as I don't know what is classed as normal when it comes to the nubs. Should they get confused at times and limit movement in one direction? Seems odd to me and I wished I'd played more with the nubs on my first pandora to compare.

As I've always said the OP team were great with my first faulty unit and I got a new one really quickly. I worry that if I send this one back there'll be something else next time and I was really hoping I could just change the shoulder buttons and back plate myself (I say myself but I really mean a person with full vision and experienced with electronic devices). but I fear this would land me in deeper water further down the line and being accused of breaking something I'd not even physically touched. :(

Thankfully my android phone has taken up more of my time so I don't worry so much and swype is nice although I miss the gaming controls and physical keyboard.

I noticed my hinge was a lot tighter that the one of mqark, so there is some difference. I like my tightness so hope my new one will be as tight.

Well, my personal unit has the bezel as did the other units I received, so I always assummed it was a problem on every unit. It's good to hear it confirmed as fact from Craig. I also agree, that until it was pointed out, I may have never noticed it, as mine shows a very small bow. My Pandora also had a spongy "A" button. Everything else has worked greatly for over 2 months, with no signs of any problems.

I was actually able to fix my "A" button problem. It seems that the button had a little excess plastic under the button from where it was removed from the mould, so it was causing the button to not push properly against membrane, and it felt spongy, and wouls kinda of stick sometimes. So I just used a small screw driver and filed down the excess plastic, and it functions just like the other 3 buttons now. I never tested the extra units I had, but I did do a physical inspection, and the nubs, shoulder, and face buttons all seemed to work perfectly. I didn't hear any complaints from 4 customers, so I would say based on my own experiance, the failure rate is very low.

Now, out of 10 friends who own Xbox 360's, around 8 have had the RRD, and a few have had it twice. I would say Microsofts failure rate is as high as 60-80% based on my own personal group poll(and some other polls put it at 66%). So I think the team is doing pretty good considering their situation. The units I received did come after the initial trial and error period, so hopefully many of the problems being seen will be greatly lowered with each new batch released. I also think customer service is top priority, and even those who have had to return a unit, seem to be having a good experiance through it all.

Chris

Mine's in pretty bad shape. lcd, nubs, shoulder buttons, and my pandora button does nothing.

Other: volume is quite a bit lower than my friends Pandora so much so that dialog of movies is hard to hear and the screen doesn't close flush with the pandora.

I was in the second shipment that went out. I wouldn't even care to send it back if not for the screen going out and the nubs not working. I held out as long as possible so that I'd have it for my vacation and to wait till the nub problem was fixed. The screen is just unbearable now, I have to send it back.

craigix said:

Somebody I showed the Pandora to pointed it out straight away.

What causes it? Why is it not your fault?

Just to mix up some comments in this thread:

My 2005 Xbox 360 has never Red Ringed. Also, my 2006 DS Lite still has a stiff hinge, which is far stiffer than my last Pandora.

Back