Have We Got A Tracking Number For The Cases?

Line O said:
Under the bed? That's a shame. Still, it adds to the collection just as well. :)

I really do hope I get excited by it again... I really do!
Such a great device, I just got burnt out by all the waiting and excitment.

We'll see how I go when production(webcam) starts :D

Last edited by a moderator:
rmm21 said:
A final OS tweak as why they don't start ASAP would be sensible and a prudent decision on OPs part. No conspiracy implied for tender forum ears, it's only that ED said some time ago that every delay in shipping the Pandoras out costs him 500EUR extra a month, so it's strange they don't want Michael W. there even without the cases in hand to get started right away on the slow work only he will do for those 700 board fixes(they don't need him to assemble them since they already have the instructions on how to do it and they have plenty of help).

Perhaps a later start works out so they are together for the final boxing and Champagne toasting for a job, done. :)
why would you have to wait to build because of software changes? I image workstations all the time at work, just hook them up to my image farm (server+switch+pxe boot) wham bam thank you ma'am. Imaging a pile of completed pandoras has to be easier than building and imaging them one at a time.

This no makey sensey *scratches head*

How are they going to be flashing the Pandora? Are they setup just to install an SD and flash from that or USB transfer?

I'd guess theyll be doing it the way of an SD card (an empty OMAP will try to boot from SD, read the TRM if interested), because they're:
* Cheap (at a maximum an 1GB card is needed)
* Relatively fast
* Can be easily replicated if needed
* Simple (no need to install special software onto host PC for serving a special bootloader over usb etc)

Actually...maybe they're doing it the same way people flashed Dingoo's with linux - booting from a local network via USB and running an installer script. Seems like it'd be faster than SD.

There's no point in guessing though...maybe just wait for a response?

As soon as I have some more information I'll let you know.

I have 3 people coming here on friday to help with unpacking and organising for next week, so I really hope they do arrive on time.

craigix said:
As soon as I have some more information I'll let you know.

I have 3 people coming here on friday to help with unpacking and organising for next week, so I really hope they do arrive on time.

I hope so too :)

craigix said:
Just got a little more confirmation that it will be friday.

static.gif
santa.gif
static.gif

BCable said:
Monk said:
It was for while the Royal Mail were on strike, and during the ensuing aftermath, in the UK.

See I didn't even know about that delay since I wasn't paying attention for about a year. Someone should make a documentary about these delays. I'm serious.

That potential delay didn't really hit, as OpenPandora had nothing to ship us anyway :)

quadomatic said:
Actually...maybe they're doing it the same way people flashed Dingoo's with linux - booting from a local network via USB and running an installer script. Seems like it'd be faster than SD.

There's no point in guessing though...maybe just wait for a response?
The boards are flashed via SD cards with a bootable image that does everything automatically. It calculates check sums, flashes all the NAND partitions with kernels and uboots and file systems (DJ built in extra redundancy for future wear where some blocks might give out). It even flashes the battery fuel gauge controller and gives me a final touch screen, keyboard, game button and nub tester for final inspection of assembled units before shipping. The guys have done a phenomenal job on all of that. It is so slick, even the most novice of users will be able to upgrade their system without worry.

craigix said:
I still can't believe it, this info is not possible!

Cases arriving on friday! Bad news on saturday! :p Just kidding, Hopefully?

Pandoras in 2 weeks! :pandora2ut4:

Chris

just some words.

never say it is fool proof.

it reminds me once.
"it updates everything automaticly, BUT, HELL don't turn off while updating, EVEN if it looks its taking loong time".
citation needed.

Well if the flash updater setup for customers fails (battery drain, act of God, accidental reset), then you will just have to do the flash update again as it will tell you it failed and fall back to the uboot menu. If the bootloader gets wiped, then you will have to do it like we do in production setup which is to make a bootable SD card. That's all. If for some terrible reason you manage to fry too much of the NAND blocks to even fit the software in, then you will have to boot from an SD card like we do in testing and development. It will never become a brick that you have to ship away and be Pandora-less for months though (assuming the problem is NAND specific and not actual hardware damage of course).

jumpman said:
craigix said:
I still can't believe it, this info is not possible!

Cases arriving on friday! Bad news on saturday! :p Just kidding, Hopefully?

Pandoras in 2 weeks! :pandora2ut4:

Chris

aww I can't wait! I know I'm one of the very last in line...but it would sure make commuter train rides into Chicago more bearable! It'd certainly make Spanish class more fun too :D

Back