Has anybody offered their pandora to reviewers?

The people from www.wannahaves.nl are waiting for an unit. I PMd both Craigix and ED a couple of weeks ago but have yet to receive an answer from them. Maybe they work for engadget?

Two review units are going out this week, but not to the usual mainstream suspects, they are going to people who I think will give a real review.

On devices/media that is already out I'd rather hear it from no-bodies rather than big sites. I've been burned way to much on positive reviews of a device or game only to find out that it sucks. I think games especially are this way, no game companies will send sites early releases if they keep giving crap reviews so there is an incentive to give a good review even when the game is bad.

On hardware I think this is true a lot of the time also, I notice tech sites are usually Intel or AMD sites when it comes to processors, no middle ground. The only honest reviews are from those that pay for the stuff they review, if it is given to them there is no way to tell if it is an honest review or not.

I don't think there's any specific anti-Engadget sentiment in this thread? I don't think they're the best review site for the Pandora any more though.

They used to be quite supportive of it, but they've actually evolved considerably over the course of the project. They're 90% smartphones now, or so it seems, with more posts on multinationals' products and hardly any devoted to niche devices. Their comment crowd is troll central, everything is 'lol' 'fail' etc. That's not Engadget's fault, just a side effect of their popularity.

It makes me wonder if all publicity really is good publicity, or if a site like that can actually do harm to a product.

I don't think there's any specific anti-Engadget sentiment in this thread? I don't think they're the best review site for the Pandora any more though.

They used to be quite supportive of it, but they've actually evolved considerably over the course of the project. They're 90% smartphones now, or so it seems, with more posts on multinationals' products and hardly any devoted to niche devices. Their comment crowd is troll central, everything is 'lol' 'fail' etc. That's not Engadget's fault, just a side effect of their popularity.

It makes me wonder if all publicity really is good publicity, or if a site like that can actually do harm to a product.

A site the size of Engadget can have a very profound effect on the success of a product. Ever since their shift to the everbooming smartphone and tablet market, they have attracted a userbase that focuses primarily on the superficial parts of gadgetry, mainly concerned with how it looks and feels as opposed to how it functions or the quality of its software. Specs are also king. If it has a shiny outside and high specs, Engadgeteers will eat it up. It's just the natural progression of the chic tech market. It started with netbooks and ULV laptops, then moved to smartphones and now tablets. Once the high of capacitive touch and tablets dies off, who knows where the hipsters will flock?

Now you can say someone's posted anti-Engadget. I used to visit their site until they became obsessed with smartphones and tablets; two device types that simply have nothing to offer me.

Would be nice to see mark or anyone else from CGR review a pandora, i think mark gives honest reviews about video games and video game hardware.

Besides, he has been reviewing freaking video game cases for months now, reviewing something like the pandora could get interesting for both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gamekings.tv/ these guys also drink in my bar. I'm pretty sure they'd do an item on it when I shove a Pandora in their hands and let them have it for some time.

The also have http://www.hardwarewoensdag.tv/

They are all cool guys and have passed the 30 mark some time ago so they should love retro gaming.

Some of them also have something to do with http://www.pu.nl/ also the guy who does all their webdesign work I see almost every day and is a regular.

Maybe a couple of the Dutchies on this forum could comment on the exposure these guys have under the gaming/gadget freaks in Holland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha. I paid for a unit so that I could review it, a detailed and honest review of the Pandora would be a great traffic winner. My Dingoo A320 review still pulls in traffic hand over fist.

In fact, there's enough in the Pandora to do a series of reviews covering various use-cases, but that'll be a fair amount of work.

Sadly, I'm in position 2000-2200. So expect a review sometime in the 31st Century ;)

Also, I'm supposed to write for PandoraPress when I finally get my hands on my unit, so I'll have to write everything twice. Better call that the 32nd Century.

Despite a certain someone with a Pandora working just down the road from me, I still haven't so much as clapped eyes upon a real, tangible, juicy Pandora unit. Grumble.

Back