Would displaylink be much fun for Pandora?

It would be slow over USB really only usefull for static images and maybe 2d Apps video and 3D are pretty out of the question unless they have some pretty awesome compression going on which would burden the ARM cpu in the Pandora

it will probably pick up more support with USB 3.0 which will be much faster but still no match for HDMI or DVI both of those having data rates in the Gbs iirc

I'm gonna ask you the same thing I ask every time high def output of any kind comes up: what problem does high res video out on the Pandora solve? Specifically, what problems does it solve that isn't already solved by getting a BeagleBoard instead?

WizardStan said:
I'm gonna ask you the same thing I ask every time high def output of any kind comes up: what problem does high res video out on the Pandora solve? Specifically, what problems does it solve that isn't already solved by getting a BeagleBoard instead?

presentations

atomicthumbs said:
presentations
BeagleBoard. With a case, it can look very professional. Or just use the S-Video; most slide show presentations I've seen consist of large logos and big fonts in order to capture the eye, and wouldn't benefit from the extra resolution anyway.
White Flame said:
Docking stations. (also with USB keyboard/mouse/external drive)
Again, that sounds like a task for a BeagleBoard, already rigged for permanent fixturing.
Still sounds like a solution trying to find a problem.

WizardStan said:

Does it have to solve a problem? I see it as a way of providing more of a conventional desktop resolution (e.g. 1024x768 basically anything higher than the standard pal SD output). This would make it a much more useful mini computer environment: highly portable but for the keyboard, mouse and monitor obviously... However when I've been providing training in the past and have had to use a laptop for presentations I was always struggling with the weight and impractical nature of the laptop (on top of everything else I was carrying). This would be a real boon. usually anywhere I went had a projector available or a large monitor and I could normally rustle up a mouse or keyboard.

However, it's not just that -it's the improvement in video fidelity that would be the best advantage. The Dreamcast and the Xbox1 looked so much better with their VGA outputs (non-standard solution on the xbox of course - but it worked).

I'm not naively begging for VGA style output to be added to the Pandora - and I'm not complaining about the video output, I'll be using the s-video output a lot I'm sure. But this just seems like a great way to trump the quality of the s-video output. If we can't have component RGB then assuming this works and is practical then it would be a nice feature.

I think this would be great for general computing purposes, I've never used VGA over USB, but I think it would be great if you wanted to do some typing on a bigger screen or browse the internet.

Mqark said:
Does it have to solve a problem?
Yes. No one has ever done anything that didn't solve a problem of some kind.
Mqark said:
I see it as a way of providing more of a conventional desktop resolution (e.g. 1024x768 basically anything higher than the standard pal SD output).
And that's a problem this would solve. But is it the right solution? Are there better solutions that simultaneously solve other problems? Or does this solve a problem that can't be solved by any other means?

Mqark said:
This would make it a much more useful mini computer environment: highly portable but for the keyboard, mouse and monitor obviously... However when I've been providing training in the past and have had to use a laptop for presentations I was always struggling with the weight and impractical nature of the laptop (on top of everything else I was carrying). This would be a real boon. usually anywhere I went had a projector available or a large monitor and I could normally rustle up a mouse or keyboard.
Then why not carry around a BeagleBoard in a slim case with a USB hub modded into it? Ye Gods, I'm starting to sound like a salesman. But seriously, I don't like the idea of turning X into Y when Y is already available at a reasonable cost.

Mqark said:
If we can't have component RGB then assuming this works and is practical then it would be a nice feature.
No arguments: if someone wants to do this I'm not going to complain, but if they act like they've solved a problem that doesn't really exist I will.
To hopefully give a good analogy of what I'm getting at: suppose someone writes a game for the PC. You play it, they're all proud at what they've done, but it's just a Super Mario clone. Yeah, you liked Mario, but you could just break out the Nintendo and play it on a TV instead of the PC. Once the Pandora hits and it's compiled to be portable, that changes the problem it solves (because emulators don't exist in this analogy)
A weak analogy, but hopefully it gets the point across. Find a problem that this alone solves, even a future problem that doesn't yet exist but may in the future, and it'll make your work a lot more enjoyable. "Because I want to" is a legitimate problem that I've used on more than one occasion, expecting that no one else will care later.

I give you two reasons why a Beagleboard is not a better solution for a Pandora + USB High-Def Output:

1. Acording to Chip (gp32x), there are Displaylinks Devices for 50$, so you would have to pay 100$ more just for the DVI Output.
2. A Beagleboard may have a Dvi Output, but It lacks a Battery, a Keyboard, a Mouse (for which the Pandora has even two solutions: Touchscreen and Analognubs), Wifi connectivity and Bluetooth connectivity, so its not exactly an equal trade for a pandora. Of course it is still optionally possible to attach a USB-Hub, a Mouse and a Keyboard.

Sure, you dont get HW-acceleration with a USB-Converter, but unless you want to play games or watch demanding videos, it should be sufficent, I mean, they got it running with a 300 mhz NAS already, so...

EDIT:
Not that I think the Beagleboard is inferior to the pandora, In fact I would get myself one for Power-Saving reasons (My Computer runs all day, but I usullay use it just for websurfing), if I'd had any screen with Digital Input...

Kimundi said:
2. A Beagleboard may have a Dvi Output, but It lacks a Battery, a Keyboard, a Mouse (for which the Pandora has even two solutions: Touchscreen and Analognubs), Wifi connectivity and Bluetooth connectivity, so its not exactly an equal trade for a pandora. Of course it is still optionally possible to attach a USB-Hub, a Mouse and a Keyboard.
See, now you're thinking. But those are leading to a totally different problem. Earlier it was mentioned that presentations would benefit, or docking station for full scale computing, and in both those problems keyboard, mouse, and touchscreen are of little use since you'd be using a separate keyboard and mouse anyway. Some argument can be made for wifi, granted. What could you be hoping to do with high res output where the additional features of the Pandora (the gaming controls, keyboard, and touchscreen) would still come in handy?

Money is a very good reason as well. We could debate the merits of an extra $100 more for a dedicated system, but I don't think either of us would get anything out of it. We'd be roadblocked, so for the sake of argument, can we pretend money isn't an issue?

WizardStan said:
Mqark said:

Don't get me started! When I was young (and probably drunk) I did a lot of things that started way more problems, than they solved. ;)

I think VGA-over-USB for presentations would be a much better solution than an additional BeagleBoard (which is great for a lot of other uses):
  1. It's cheaper.
  2. I don't have to carry around a BeagleBoard along with my Pandora, just a small adapter.
  3. I don't have to hook up anything to my Pandora beside the projector (no keyboard or mouse needed). Most of the times I do presentations there is no keyboard or mouse easily available at the place, just the projector.
  4. The Pandora runs on battery.
  5. The Pandora already comes in a neat package for transportation. I would guess it's not a good idea to just put the BeagleBoard into your bag, without a case.

On the other hand, it would look way cooler to hook up a bare circuitboard to the projector and do a presentation. :D

I think the point some people are trying to put across is: why is the need for HD output so important for a portable device that was specifically designed to be predominantly a device you use on the go and not hooked up to an HDTV. Sure it'd be nice but do you need HD for your cellphone? for your iPod? Hell, the PSP dosent even do HD output why is there such a hard on for Pandora HD output?

That's why people keep saying get a Beagle Board, it's built for what you're asking for, the pandora is not.

But unlike a Ipod, PSP or cellphone,the Pandora is a full-fledged Computer.
Compare it to someone who connects his Desktopmonitor to his Laptop to have more screen area.

WizardStan said:
Mqark said:

Wow... You have an interesting definition of what a problem is. A challenge, need or a desire doesn't equate to a problem.
I see this as a desire to have something - I don't have a problem that it's not there.

The only reason I'd want to output to a larger screen is to save power, using it instead of my main computer which is kinda overkill for torrents, webserfing, and chat.

Couldn't a dock just be made for the Pandora that would give it all the connections? Just drop it into the dock that already has the monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. plugged in and you're ready to go. I remember asking about making one with one of the the gumstix boards with the chips to output DVI and the ext on the Pandora won't output for that chip.

I'm getting a Touchbook though, I'll have my main computer off and just have my Touchbook for chat and torrents at home, that would save a lot of energy. I don't think it can output to DVI either though. My Pandora won't be used at home because it will always be with me. The only reasons I need my main computer is for watching Video with the 24" monitor, burning DVDs and CDs, and big games, which I don't play much anymore anyway. I wish I could use my 24" monitor on either my Touchbook or my Pandora but it isn't so much the lack of output chips of the devices as it is a limitation of the Ti chips themselves, they can only display low resolutions. I'm kinda confused, the specs say that it can output 720p but it can't output the resolution of 720p. Kinda weird.

klaus said:
I think VGA-over-USB for presentations would be a much better solution than an additional BeagleBoard (which is great for a lot of other uses):
  1. It's cheaper.
  2. I don't have to carry around a BeagleBoard along with my Pandora, just a small adapter.
  3. I don't have to hook up anything to my Pandora beside the projector (no keyboard or mouse needed). Most of the times I do presentations there is no keyboard or mouse easily available at the place, just the projector.
  4. The Pandora runs on battery.
  5. The Pandora already comes in a neat package for transportation. I would guess it's not a good idea to just put the BeagleBoard into your bag, without a case.
Aye, these are good reasons. I'd argue that the extra cost of the BeagleBoard vs just the USB-VGA adapter is worth it to have a dedicated system (and getting a case and battery pack for the BeagleBoard is almost trivial) but that's not for everybody as well.
Thanks!

Mqark said:
Wow... You have an interesting definition of what a problem is. A challenge, need or a desire doesn't equate to a problem.
Not interesting, just broad. A challenge is certainly a problem, it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't challenging. I don't see why a need isn't a problem: if you need to get something, you need to find a way of getting that something, you need to solve how to get that something. A desire can similarly be equated to a problem: if you want to do something, regardless of the reason, then you still need to work out how it is to be done; wanting to do it can itself be the problem, it's just a boring problem, and usually a sign that the person doing it has motives they don't fully understand themselves.

Question: Why do you want a USB->VGA adapter? Answer: So I can use my Pandora in high def. Assumed problem: Get high def output from a Pandora. Actual Problem: Get high def output from a portable, low power computer. Depending on other variables you'll arrive at a solution. Kimundi and Klaus filled in the variables to find the BeagleBoard solution isn't good for them.

Back