Hardware...

node

Still Fresh
I have been lurking the OpenPandora site for over a year now, and to me it seems that there is enough infrastructure to double the hardware speeds, becasue while the device was the best in '08, it is now lacking compared to some phones.. I love this system and would love to see great things for it, i just can't help but notice the lack of trying to keep up. Please update while people are still interested, this is an amazing project and i would be first in line to pre-order the Pandora 2.0.

Great job guys!

very long term project...

full focus is to support original buyers...

still only device with full keyboard/dual analogs/open source software...

glad to hear you're interested...

[insert picard pic]

I have been lurking the OpenPandora site for over a year now, and to me it seems that there is enough infrastructure to double the hardware speeds, becasue while the device was the best in '08, it is now lacking compared to some phones.. I love this system and would love to see great things for it, i just can't help but notice the lack of trying to keep up. Please update while people are still interested, this is an amazing project and i would be first in line to pre-order the Pandora 2.0.

Great job guys!
There wont be a Pandora 2.0 for, I bet, at least another 2-3 years. And most of us here are very pleased with the specs. It's enough for most of the things we want to do. You can overclock the Pandora to 1GHz, what more do you want? And what is it you want to do that the pandora lacks? Just curious...

I'm not sure what more you could want it to do with current gen tech.

1Ghz/256MB/keyboard/gaming controls etc.

Tech does not exist which we could buy right now to make it any better.

OMAP4 might ship in 2011 in decent numbers...

I stand corrected on all fronts, wasn't aware of the overclocking, should"ve done more research, stil convinced of a possible ram upgrade, but will probably give in and put in a preorder soon.

I stand corrected on all fronts, wasn't aware of the overclocking, should"ve done more research, stil convinced of a possible ram upgrade, but will probably give in and put in a preorder soon.
RAM is part of the SoC, they'd have to redo a bunch of orders and stuff to get more RAM, would be a pain.

Disregard that:

"RAM is NOT part of the SoC, it's just soldered on top of it (package on package form factor)." -- Exophase

Last edited by a moderator:
^ And you would loose the flash memory to get more RAM.

Since I don't think it's physically possible to fit one more chip on Pandora's PCB.

yes but snapdragon has liek 1.2ghz OMGWTFBBQ! everyone knows more ghz = more profit

/end sarcasm

RAM is NOT part of the SoC, it's just soldered on top of it (package on package form factor).

I'm not sure what more you could want it to do with current gen tech.

1Ghz/256MB/keyboard/gaming controls etc.

Tech does not exist which we could buy right now to make it any better.

OMAP4 might ship in 2011 in decent numbers...

You're right. If anything it's the software, and especially graphics driver and other system drivers, as well as optimised emulators that are needed.

I don't think there will be Pandora 2.0 for a long time (5+ years?) because it took so long to get 1.0 off the ground. The comparing MHz and GHz is not a accurate way of comparing speeds on devices. Still the Pandora for it's size and price is fast, it will never be as fast as a netbook because it is a 10" PC. Over-clocking will become standard down the road as it gets slower but will last a long time.

As far as I understand, Openpandora needs to release an upgraded version every couple (few?) years. They are only making money from the hardware, so when the hardware stops selling, a new machine is needed to keep the company going...

[Edit] I realise that I am only stating the obvious...

As far as I understand, Openpandora needs to release an upgraded version every couple (few?) years. They are only making money from the hardware, so when the hardware stops selling, a new machine is needed to keep the company going...
Well, they only need to release a new version when the old version stops selling, or when they think they can support both versions (if the price of the first drops hugely). Since the form factor is a niche, I can imagine it still selling in 2 years time since for many people the performance will still be good enough then (depending on use case)

I don't think that's the correct line of thought "if it's still selling, then leave it that way".

If you can supply your customers something better that they are willing to pay for, why shouldn't you? "Treat your customers well and the business will take care of itself." That sentence is not mine, and it's very true.

A couple years from now, I do expect to be able to buy a better Pandora.

Of course, I don't think they should release a Pandora 2.0 right now. I didn't even receive my Pandora 1.0 and they are already talking about a 2.0? That's not fair to me. So, I think they should ship the pre-orderers, keep supporting them (and learning a lot from the mistakes of Pandora 1.0) and then launch Pandora 2.0 in a couple years, when I'll be more than pleased to order Pandora 2.0 on the very first batch.

I wouldn't expect it to take a long time to take Pandora 2.0 off the ground either. They have learned a lot from the experience with Pandora 1.0, so they will not make the same mistakes, they will be able to improve the process itself and the next Pandora will be ready to be shipped much faster.

You've also got to consider whether people are ready for another Pandora. I'm sure that for a lot of people, the cost of a Pandora put it into a different category of purchases. A lot of them had already bought into the GP2X or GP32 scene, and knew that they could still get new software for those devices what, five, six years after they were released?

Look at games consoles, another situation where people can easily spend a lot on a system when you add up the cost of games - manufacturers only come out with a new system every four or five years. Or TVs, where many people are only now buying their first HD set.

That said, the A15 chip announced the other day does look very tasty indeed - I'd love to get my mitts on one of those wrapped up in a Pandora case :)

I don't think that's the correct line of thought "if it's still selling, then leave it that way".

If you can supply your customers something better that they are willing to pay for, why shouldn't you? "Treat your customers well and the business will take care of itself." That sentence is not mine, and it's very true.

A couple years from now, I do expect to be able to buy a better Pandora.

Of course, I don't think they should release a Pandora 2.0 right now. I didn't even receive my Pandora 1.0 and they are already talking about a 2.0? That's not fair to me. So, I think they should ship the pre-orderers, keep supporting them (and learning a lot from the mistakes of Pandora 1.0) and then launch Pandora 2.0 in a couple years, when I'll be more than pleased to order Pandora 2.0 on the very first batch.

I wouldn't expect it to take a long time to take Pandora 2.0 off the ground either. They have learned a lot from the experience with Pandora 1.0, so they will not make the same mistakes, they will be able to improve the process itself and the next Pandora will be ready to be shipped much faster.
that would make OPT very nintendo, sony, apple like, i was hoping since my purchase that this wouldnt be one of those companies wheres theres a useless hardware release every few months. if opt is out to make billions like those other companies, great for them, but i very much like the great gadget for a great community aspect of it

However also customers might not make the same 'mistake' I think there are quite a few people now who would be reluctant to preorder. So the money to develop the pandora 2 would have to come from pandora 1 so I guess they will be selling these for a while :)

However also customers might not make the same 'mistake' I think there are quite a few people now who would be reluctant to preorder. So the money to develop the pandora 2 would have to come from pandora 1 so I guess they will be selling these for a while :)

I'd preorder again, but definitely not for at least 3 years after receiving the first Pandora. A handheld generation should be at least this long IMHO.

RAM is part of the SoC, they'd have to redo a bunch of orders and stuff to get more RAM, would be a pain.

Disregard that:

"RAM is NOT part of the SoC, it's just soldered on top of it (package on package form factor)." -- Exophase
This is totally O/T but I was reading your sig and I google searched it to find out.... wtf exactly is a breadcrab... because I have never heard that before and I was pretty curious... wtf exactly a breadcrab was.. anywho....

and look at the first link google gives you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22oh+shit+a+breadcrab%22

I then ask myself what exactly is a loli.... and agian... i google search as I have no idea exactly what a loli would be....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=loli

I'm not sure if that's just bad googleing or what but made me spit up my coffee this morning... don't know bout you

agian totally O/T

This is totally O/T but I was reading your sig and I google searched it to find out.... wtf exactly is a breadcrab... because I have never heard that before and I was pretty curious... wtf exactly a breadcrab was.. anywho....

and look at the first link google gives you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22oh+shit+a+breadcrab%22

I then ask myself what exactly is a loli.... and agian... i google search as I have no idea exactly what a loli would be....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=loli

I'm not sure if that's just bad googleing or what but made me spit up my coffee this morning... don't know bout you

agian totally O/T

I thought I had no innocence left to give, but you've managed to take some from me today :mellow:

Back