Release HammerWatch (launcher)

So I have done some analysis.

there was the pixel_convert function that was eating some CPU at launch screen (like more than 10%), but in my latest libGL, it's not anymore (I added a quick BGRA -> RGBA special case conversion fro minecraft already).

Now, most of the time is spent on the mono JIT... So much harder to optimise.

I have a mini 3.4.0 (latest compiled MonoRT use 3.2.8), but it doesn't improve things enough (if any). I'll play with compilation options (and try to add llvm as an option) and see if I can find faster build...

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have done some analysis.

there was the pixel_convert function that was eating some CPU at launch screen (like more than 10%), but in my latest libGL, it's not anymore (I added a quick BGRA -> RGBA special case conversion fro minecraft already).

Now, most of the time is spent on the mono JIT... So much harder to optimise.

I have a mini 3.4.0 (latest compiled MonoRT use 3.2.8), but it doesn't improve things enough (if any). I'll play with compilation options (and try to add llvm as an option) and see if I can find faster build...
Whatever can be done to minimize RAM usage would be helpful in my opinion. Slowdown really seems to come into play when swap starts being accessed.

just testing this now on my rebirth, set to 900mhz sys speed set to 380 and 512 swap, gamedata files from GOG linux tar (v 1.23).

runs, sound is a little choppy and animation seems a little choppy, is there any further optimisations I can do to make it play any better?

just testing this now on my rebirth, set to 900mhz sys speed set to 380 and 512 swap, gamedata files from GOG linux tar (v 1.23).

runs, sound is a little choppy and animation seems a little choppy, is there any further optimisations I can do to make it play any better?
Nothing for now I'm afraid. I'm working on a new MonoRT and some libGL optimisation for now... Still WIP for now.

About 10 min ingame my character Starts running in only one direction. Cant make him stop, cant change the direction. I can reproduce this and it happens about 5-10 min after i started a new game. I did map movement to the dpad. Might try the keyboard...

About 10 min ingame my character Starts running in only one direction. Cant make him stop, cant change the direction. I can reproduce this and it happens about 5-10 min after i started a new game. I did map movement to the dpad. Might try the keyboard...
Are you running under openbox? If I use Openbox and don't turn off the keyboard shortcuts that utitlize control+dpad, stuff like this will happen to me when I accidentally hit a keyboard combo that Openbox has reserved for desktop switching and such.

Fair point. Openbox is a positive.

Im also using ABmouse. Will investigate further...

FWIW, I was just able to play a few minutes into level 1 on a 1ghz unit without any swapfile (but zram on) - I even had a pile of other apps running at the time. Framerate was kind of mediocre, but interesting to discover the swapfile isn't strictly necessary. I don't know if I would have crash due to low RAM if I'd kept playing, though.

Same for me, didn't need a swapfile but I generally use one just in case anyway

Ahw Cube, you're such an enabler.

I just decided to hold of on buying every bundle as I have a gigantic backlog of games and no time to play them for the foreseeable future on my PC and this thread popped up in my new posts suddenly.

So I've bought it.  :) (spine of a jellyfish)

After a short beta test, here is a new release of the Hammerwatch launcher.

I have refined the optimisaiton phase, so it should be slightly faster. Also, using latest glshim with handling of FBO, the minimap (with the Tab key) now works.

This version should be compatible with Firmware 1.62+ (but it should not be mandatory).

preview6.png

Build 03

------------

• Improved optimisation phase
  • latest glshim (support for minimap)
  • Should be compatible with Firmware 1.62 and later

Looks like the window never come. Try to re-install the SGX driver, just in case, and I would like to see the pndrun_hammerwatch.out logfile. Strange, I know this part is a big long, but it should start after a while.

After a short beta test, here is a new release of the Hammerwatch launcher.

I have refined the optimisaiton phase, so it should be slightly faster. Also, using latest glshim with handling of FBO, the minimap (with the Tab key) now works.

This version should be compatible with Firmware 1.62+ (but it should not be mandatory).

preview6.png

Build 03

------------

• Improved optimisation phase
  • latest glshim (support for minimap)
  • Should be compatible with Firmware 1.62 and later
By the way how is the framerate in level 3 now ? Is it improved when you have many monsters on screen ?

When starting a fresh level, expect low frame rates, like 5~10 fps unfortunatly. Not enough CPU power :( . Maybe with some cpu overclock it can can get a bit more playable.

I used the sgx driver pnd to install the default driver and restarted it works but there is a black bar at the top and flickers the desktop what's the best driver to use for rebirth and hammerwatch?

Back