Hairline Crack Forming At Screen Hinge?

kev187

My Pandora is falling apart :-(

I have had it just about one month now. I noticed in the light today, the left side plastic of the main body that supports the screen, right were the monitor meets the main body... there is a hair line crack forming, its about 3mm long & splits into a Y of about 1-1mm each. My Pandora has not been dropped, or treated poorly in anyway.... its been babied and cared for ever so gently....

It looks like at this rate only a matter of time before structually the hinge is going to give way?

I am going to contact the team to see about warranty coverage :-( I am very very very sad, I am absolutely loving my Pandora in every way, and I truly hate to give it up for a while as a repair is made... anyway know what my turn around time might be?

Sad...

For what its worth, I can tell you that the crack gets worse with time, so its best to send it back and be done with it.

In the mean time, you could try to drop some crazy glue in the crack and push it firmly together. Should usually hold pretty good, the plastic case glues pretty good :)

If you are unhappy with it cosmetically, then you would want to go the RMA route but it's not going to fall apart because of that. I have an old sample case with a crack that goes most of the way along the hinge hump and it's not going to fall apart. It's a very thick area of plastic formed as one solid piece. I'm pretty sure you would have to smash it with a hammer to make it fall apart.

I only mention this in case you would rather not be without a Pandora for a long time. I'm still using an old prototype case so clearly I don't care about cosmetics. :)

I emailed the always so very pleasant and helpful Jacquelyn and got a very prompt response :-D

I got my RMA and going to send it back to get the top of the case replaced. She offered to send the plastics to me, but since the LCD has to come off, ill leave it to the pro's to sort out.

I am going to order and extra plastic case and keypad, just to see how it all goes together. This way down the road once the warranty has faded away, anything happens, I got a backup... of course, I am planning to order a 2nd Pandora anyway ;-)

EvilDragon & Mweston Question?

Its a small crack now, I was going to send the Pandora off tomorrow, but this weekend I am traveling to home from DC to NJ here in the USA. I have some friends home very anxious to see the Pandora. So the Pandora should be good to use over the weekend? and I can mail it back with the RMA on Monday?

I appreciate it guys. Honestly, the Pandora is just fantastic, I am doing my best to show it to as many people as I can. Its just such a unique product!!!!!!!!!

kevin J said:
Its a small crack now, I was going to send the Pandora off tomorrow, but this weekend I am traveling to home from DC to NJ here in the USA. I have some friends home very anxious to see the Pandora. So the Pandora should be good to use over the weekend? and I can mail it back with the RMA on Monday?

Pretty sure it will hold.
I got a couple of cracks in my case since the day we did the CE testing... which was January 2010.
I had to brute-force it open since each hour in the lab did cost 100 EUR and I didn't have to time figuring out how to properly open it :D

So yeah, my Pandora is in daily use and has cracks in various areas of the case for over a year now. Yours will surely good to be used over the weekend :)

Last edited:
I have a couple of tiny cracks near the hinge too. (My unit was a one nubber, which I RMA'd due to LCD cable and got a refurb, so I'm honestly not fussed about it.)

I dropped some super glue into each hairline a couple of months back, didn't bother adding pressure or anything, just let it dry overnight. The cracks have not moved since. I guess not everyone would want to do that, but if you do, I can tell you it's effective.

ANYONE KNOW THE RETURN ADDRESS FOR WARRANTY PANDORAS?

I Was sent my RMA form, but there is no proper return address on it :-D

I want to send it off today :)

If you still have the invoice that arrived with your Pandora, it should be on there. I'm afraid I don't have the address to hand right now, or else I'd add it here...

Prometheus said:
If you still have the invoice that arrived with your Pandora, it should be on there. I'm afraid I don't have the address to hand right now, or else I'd add it here...

Yeah... I did not think of that

Got it :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
kevin J said:
Prometheus said:

Yeah... I did not think of that

Got it :-D

Just got my Pandora back with its new case, less than 4 weeks round trip for the repair. Great Job Pandora Team, i was missing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently RMA'ed, I sent it to Craig's shop via express....it went over the pond and was received in 2 days. I received my replacement in a week! Well worth paying the additional $$ for express return ;) again....2 days back over the pond. I am most appreciative of the team's responsiveness.

Back