My system developed a crack / chip. :(

dewc

I have to be honest first and say that I haven't actually picked up and used my OpenPandora unit much at all. This is actually the reason I am really surprised to see that it developed a chip and crack by the LCD assembly. I have emailed the place I've purchased it from about getting it repaired, but it's been a few days and I've yet to receive an answer. I've also sent two follow up emails after at least a day in between each. So where should I go next?

And yes, I understand it has been hectic, but a quick reply would've been great. :-/

How many of you have seen something like this as well? I've seen splits and cracks by the USB ports, screw eyelets, but I don't think I've seen it by the rounded area of the LCD assembly. I've included an image, and yes, there's some dirt around it.

Arghhh... no sooner than after posting this.. I see this

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this 6 times. I don't know what causes it, however we can repair it for you and the statistical chances of it happening again are very remote.

Long story short it appears to be a crap batch of plastic which was used seems to be the general census. this happend to my system too along with countless others follow prometheus sugru sollution soon rather than later i left my hair line crack for three days and now its a gaping hole in the hinge not just a hairline crack. the quicker the repair jobs done the less damage the panda suffers. hopefully one day the productions moved to a more reliable source and spare cases made from reliable plastics will b available ntill then lots of sugru and replacement crappy cases will be ur only viable solution. dispite this though the pandora still kicks ass

Hopefully when the case production is moved to a more reliable place we can start getting some different coloured ones too

That would be great. :) Let me know how to proceed.

Also many thanks to the others who have replied. I feel it's a weird, but very minor phenomenon.

I've seen this 6 times. I don't know what causes it, however we can repair it for you and the statistical chances of it happening again are very remote.

Hopefully when the case production is moved to a more reliable place we can start getting some different coloured ones too

P1080975.JPG

Yes, please. *salivates, then crosses fingers*

This location on the case is the weakest point in the entire design. The plastic is thin but has to support little clips built into the lid. Perhaps DaveC and I should have looked into trying to beef this area up on our own but we also rely on the mold manufacturer to suggest improvements to areas likely to fail since they are the ones doing all the testing. I took many pictures showing failures in this area during the prototype phase. They did ask us about changing things with several things but I don't recall ever getting anything about this area. The possibility of your next case doing the exact same thing is there and if you are handy with patching it up yourself (ie. the sugru fix) that would be about your only way to really remedy the problem. Our only way to remedy any problems with the case would be a new manufacturer. I would love that but it's expensive stuff. We've made our bed and now we have to lie in it.

^ At the very least, you don't have to be too handy to apply the Sugru fix. You just need to make sure you don't try to push too much in there and cause it to fall into the rest of the lid. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback MWeston. Also thanks for the updated tip, Prometheus. I actually have some putty you mix by hand (pretty much like "Mighty Putty") that dries up pretty tough and not flexible, but I am wary about using that, since I've not been known to be very handy. Also it's gray colored. I like the results of the Sugru. I think I will my chances with getting it repaired first. The Sugru stuff looks fun.

^ What sets Sugru apart is that it is slightly flexible - it's definitely something worth having handy in the house. :lol: I gather that it should support those lid-clips just fine, whilst not being given to cracking as the plastic that the clips were putting pressure on did.

Good luck whichever fix you decide to go for. :)

I shipped it out. I noticed the cracked developed like Prometheus' before the Sugru fix. Here's to getting it repaired and back to me safely! :-D

Thanks again, all!

Back