Hack And Slash Rpg

firefly2442

Website
www.rivetcode.com
Are there any good hack and slash RPGs out there similar to Diablo? I tried Bulder's Gate Dark Alliance for the GBA but the save system seems off. Sometimes it would not save my game and eventually I tried loading my game and it must have gotten corrupted because now it doesn't load at all.

Egoboo is good, drod (deadly rooms of death) is good but olderschool. I love Ungra Walker on the psx emulator (more like guantlet legacy on n64).

But Egoboo is the best looking and best working, Just don't do the first character for the game, try the cleric first (best mission).

firefly2442 said:
Are there any good hack and slash RPGs out there similar to Diablo? I tried Bulder's Gate Dark Alliance for the GBA but the save system seems off. Sometimes it would not save my game and eventually I tried loading my game and it must have gotten corrupted because now it doesn't load at all.
In Balders' Gate, are you using the emulator save states or the in-game saves? I switched to using in game states and it works really well every time. The emulator states started getting corrupted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinning Soul 1-2 (GBA) emulates well.

Do not forget FleshChasmer ! :)

Egoboo dosent work for me, it crash's shortly after a I sat a game.

lawndart said:
Egoboo dosent work for me, it crash's shortly after a I sat a game.
it could be due to the 940 being clocked too high (even though 920 is not crashing). i think it comes with two gpe's? can't remember. if not then there's two binaries and you can change the gpe to use the second one, which will set the clock speed lower. if you've been through this already then i apologize.

pkostrze said:
firefly2442 said:
In Balders' Gate, are you using the emulator save states or the in-game saves? I switched to using in game states and it works really well every time. The emulator states started getting corrupted.

I was using the emulator save states. Must be why I was having issues, I'll give the in-game ones a try.

Thanks for the suggestions all. :)

ketchupgun said:
The Immortal on Genesis?
never played it much, but I think it's up your alley.
Immortal is almost the same on nes too.

That's more of a "dragon's lair" style adventure game, albeit with realtime 1-on-1 combat. You know the drill: turn left: instant death, turn right, game continues.

I think Land Stalker is the shizz too - real time combat and kind of rpgish in a quasi-zelda milieu.

Alcahest (translated) on SNES
Faery Tale Adventure on Amiga
Arcus Odyssey on Genesis
Gauntlet 4 (in RPG Mode) on Genesis

Maybe this is old news, but for those of you who liked Egoboo, I just learned that Egoboo's creator, Aaron Bishop, released another game called "Secret of Ultimate Legendary Fantasy Unleashed" or Soulfu for short. It can be downloaded at AaronBishopGames dot com. It's really pretty - kind of a Zeldaish game in looks and play, but 3D - not sure how to describe the 3D, it's more - um - smooth? Advanced? "Cel-shaded"? than Egoboo, it looks kind of like the "Windwaker" Zelda. It's a little tricky at first because there's no real manual or tutorial, but there's a forum that has some good information threads. Also, I started playing it on my laptop (I'm amazed it runs on this thing - this is the cheapest, barebones laptop I could get from Dell 2 years ago, but it runs really smoothly and looks great on here) and I encountered a graphical glitch where no item description text shows up, though it's pretty easy to figure out what items are. There's a thread about that problem on the Soulfu forum, seems sort of common.
Soulfu is also apparently open source, at least to some extent - in the "manual" Aaron lays out some rules people who alter it have to follow.
The thing that amazes me is that there isn't a lot more on the web about this game - or about Egoboo, for that matter, though I guess there's some folks still actively developing Egoboo. I've been playing Soulfu for two days on and off and it's really cool, and if a good community got behind it it could become amazing (of course that goes for a lot of projects out there). The game has some quirks that I personally found a bit annoying, the biggest one being no saves of any kind - but it's pretty cool none the less.
Wikipedia doesn't have entries for Egoboo or Soulfu! Ridiculous! Maybe I'll start them if I have time tomorrow...

Oh, and a couple other RPG's I've enjoyed that have a fair amount of hackin' & slashin' are:
Divine Divinity for the PC - despite the silly name, it's a pretty good game.
Gothic 1 & 2 also for PC - lots of plot, plenty of fighting if that's how you want to play them. Two of my favorite games ever.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also for the PC

If someone ported Gothic 1 to the gp2x I'd... throw a party... or something.

semyaza said:
Am I being daft :unsure: as soulfu doesnt have a gp2x version. I can barely play egoboo as it just crashes. Looks really nice for about 5 seconds before it freezes. and the screen goes funny.
Go to the beta testing forums here, and look for Vimacs' topic where he posted a repackaged Egoboo. It somes with 2 GPE's, use the _225 one.

Ah silly me :D . Thanks. I ran the speed program and changed the clock to 250 which was displayed in the game. But then it crashed. The next time I ran that speed program it just gave a blank screen. I did see that text in the readme but was tired when I read it and I didnt see the files as .gpe extensions. I shall eagerly give it ago again tonight. :D

But I also meant that soulfu isn't on the gp2x as far as I could see.

Oh sorry, no, there's no Soulfu for gp2x, I was just getting carried away talking about it - the thread didn't specifically say "just on the gp2x" - though you know that makes sense and all, this being the gp2x forums. It was late! I wasn't thinking clearly! Sorry if I confused you! On the other hand, maybe it's portable to gp2x? Could be a project for somebody.

I wouldnt worry about it :D I just got excited thinking there was another game I missed on the gp2x.

However Egoboo is really cool. Took quite a while to get used to the buttons though. But it is so smooth even at 225. I remember playing this a few years back but it wasnt so polished as it seems now. Is this a final release? I couldnt find any major issues with it. I just cant believe I missed the announcement for it.

Back