Possible uses for the Yeti 3D engine

Rambozo

As we know, it's a blazing fast little engine. However it has limitations. Only 90 degree corners are allowed, for instance. Room over room cannot be done. There are no slopes. There's no submergible water to swim in.

So what kinds of games could be done with this engine? Here are a few ideas:

RPG: 2D overworld with 3D "hack 'n slash" dungeons.

FPS: Obvious answer. Shootemup in a space station or some other location that could be so geometrically bland, and get away with it.

Strategy: Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 had a similar grid-based view, but from an isometric perspective. Such a game could be done within the Yeti 3D engine quite easily, and to great effect.

3D platformer: Considering the cube-based nature of the engine, one could rip some tile art from Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World, slap it into the Yeti 3D engine, program a 3rd person view and make a 3D Mario game. I think I'd enjoy playing that.

Any other ideas?

Maybe a Ikaruga clone could be made? That would be a great game to play on my GP, but we already have a lot of games (PCEngine) like that. I think a 3d rpg like Final Fantasy would be the best thing we could have, but I think there are already people trying to convert a PS1 Final Fantasy, by the way: does anyone know how far the development of this PS1 Final Fantasy (forgot which one) is!!,

Newborn

I think it holds promise. It could do with upgrading away from the GBA specs. Unlock the 64x64 texture limit- we have a lot more ram than the GBA, Allow 4bit textures- we still use them for PS2 work, believe it or not. Include stacked rooms, and non 90 degree angles (sloped roofs, ramps etc), transparency would be nice as well. At the moment it does'nt do much that the doom engine can't do, but judging by the speed it runs at (blisteringly fast) they could add a lot to future versions of this engine without slowing it down. I'm mucking around with it at the moment, but
I don't think i'll get serious until it has a bit more to it.

Hmm... I thought those functions, along with enemy support and such was only going to be in the commercial engine...

Perhaps I was wrong - hope so :D

we could make a rebuild of quake... with the next version...
but ar.. the md2 support is only in the commercial version...
ok
but you have to read the news on gp32news.com, with the next version is much more possible.
bye

3D platformer: Considering the cube-based nature of the engine, one could rip some tile art from Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World, slap it into the Yeti 3D engine, program a 3rd person view and make a 3D Mario game. I think I'd enjoy playing that.
Concerning 3D Platformer & seing how powerfull the Yeti Engine is, I were thinking about a "Jumping Flash"-like ;p hummmm I don't know if someones knew this "old" Playstation 1 game , but it was cool & fun (according to me) :)
don't you think it's an original idea ?

And I were also dreaming of a WipeOut-like ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
i think a good looking and atmospheric ego-shooter in the mood of quake would be a great addition to the software we have atm, as i think a mario clone would be nearly impossible - you would need immense far-sight :blink:

i think a good looking and atmospheric ego-shooter in the mood of quake would be a great addition to the software we have atm, as i think a mario clone would be nearly impossible - you would need immense far-sight :blink:
Says who? Show me where it's written that 3D platformers must take place outdoors. I can envision an indoor platformer very easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they mustnt, but in general it is like this... and its not too funny to hop through narrow dungeons ;) its sure possible to create a fun jump and run, but i dont think it would be possible to do a mario-clone.

Why does it have to be a narrow dungeon? Yeti3D can do decent sized rooms. And what if the player model was small? Like, he only takes up one cube worth of space? That'd be appropriate for a Mario clone anyways.

any of those spyro style games would be very cool... Or a crash bandicoot kinda thing...

A Wipeout/F-zero x game would be c00l :p

F-zero gx isn't to hard to do with the GBA sprites.

I think a cool idea would be Crash Bandicoot too, in particular, a 'run away from the giant boulder' type level :D

Pretty easy to code, really....since the boulder sprite is more or less constant, just need a fixed camera.

Back