Beta Greyout

foxblock

Asleep
Some of you may have heard of the game I made for the HOMEBREW PLATFORMER COMPETITION called

GREYOUT

Well, I still consider this a WIP so here is a thread for me to announce new updates, for you to make comments or submit your custom-made levels.

That is right, Greyout was made to load user-created levels and even full chapters. Currently there is graphical editor, but a length text-instruction on the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Greyout

If that seems to complicated for you, take a look at the quick-start guide - it is not that hard eventually.

Also feel free to ask questions about it here or make comments on how I could improve the system.

If you have not yet heard of the game, here is some text for you and a video
:eek:

Greyout is a colour-coded puzzle-platformer in which you play a hatted guy trying to get to the exit (what is behind it? is he trying to get out? get to a princess?).

"Colour-coded" means that every colour in the game has a meaning, the black guy will only collide with black objects, the white guy only with white objects - what is space for one is matter for the other and this fact will surely get your brain to work.

Additionally there are also spikes (red, because red is evil), pushable boxes and the fabled grey are in which both players are co-existent.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wiD3GaFthdo?feature=oembed

Download:
(version 1.1.0.5 unless noted otherwise)

Pandora (PND, 10MB)

Windows (x86, zip, 10MB)

Linux (x86, tar.gz, 10MB)

*NEW* GP2x (alpha, Open2x, tar.gz, 10MB)

Source Code (SVN, LGPL)

The GP2x build is as noted above alpha, it is a dirty port, I just changed the menues to fit the small screen, the levels and some other things would need some extra tweaking, too.

Changelog:

1.1.0.5 - APR 29 2011

• Added speed run mode (post you best times here!)
  • Drastic performance improvements (10-20% more fps!)
  • Selected player not stays active after death (By popular demand!)
  • Various minor fixes (I can't remember!)
  • More features for level creation (Give orders to units!)
TODO:
Here is a list of stuff I plan to add before considering the game final:
  • Story
  • More levels
  • Different types of objects
  • [Coop - waaaaay down the road, but I would love to implement that]

Have fun with the game, I hope you enjoy it :)

Please comment, I am always open for critique, advice, ideas and everything else which is not senseless flaming.

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then, until that bug in the forum software is fixed, here are the download links in a separate post:

Pandora (PND, 10MB)

Windows (x86, zip, 10MB)

Linux (x86, tar.gz, 10MB)

*NEW* GP2x (alpha, Open2x, tar.gz, 10MB)

Source Code (SVN, LGPL)

The GP2x build is as noted above alpha, it is a dirty port, I just changed the menues to fit the small screen, the levels and some other things would need some extra tweaking, too.

^ ouch, you should've put a main-folder into that tarbal .. now all the files are scattered in my source-dir :blink:

^ ouch, you should've put a main-folder into that tarbal .. now all the files are scattered in my source-dir :blink:
Sorry, though I usually like to chose the folder I extract to and hate when it creates a new folder inside of that...

Thanks foxxie~ I love Greyout, but it's hard as hell though!

Appreciated :) It was supposed to get your brain to work, though ;)

I have to say I really enjoy this game. It really gets my brain going, and sometimes I have to quit and come back because I get so frustrated that I can't figure it out. :lol:

Thank you, especially, for releasing a Windows version, 'cause I'm Pandora-less right now and it's killing me. :D

Sorry, though I usually like to chose the folder I extract to and hate when it creates a new folder inside of that...
I did too, until I realized it actually saves me the work of creating a folder to put it in. ;-)

And if you rename it later it isn't more work than it would have been making a new folder.

I seem to be stuck playing the same level over & over in the new version (I updated to it from the original). When I finish it, it starts over again.

I think it's one of the last levels from the version in the Compo, probably 2nd-last.

I seem to be stuck playing the same level over & over in the new version (I updated to it from the original). When I finish it, it starts over again.

I think it's one of the last levels from the version in the Compo, probably 2nd-last.

There is no level-specific save-code in place, so I would be very surprised if this only applies to the second-last level and none else. To me it mostly sounds like a corrupted save file, but we will see.

How are you starting the level? Using the Level select screen, the new speed run screen (which looks the same only to add confusion) or the Start Game button in the main menu?

If the error persists could you please send me the log file of you starting the level and completing it once or twice (so it starts over). Just start the game normally, do those steps, then exit, go to the "tmp" folder and look for a file called "pndrun_greyout.out"

Please send it to the mail displayed at the start of the game (after the two logos), thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

foxblock out

Great game foxblock!

Finished it last night. Looking forward to more levels!

Heh, only up to a point. I tend to play until I'm fed up and then come back to it after a few days. Seems to work. :)

Back