Gpx2 Korean Q&a

Inopia posted on Jul 30 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
I've just read some of the specs of the chip we're (probably) dealing with. There's plenty power, don't worry. You can all have fullspeed snes, and then some.

dance, rom monkeys, dance!
If you are talking about MMSP2, it has been confirmed, they will use it (that's what they said replying my post at gpx2.com forum)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=19925

Last edited by a moderator:
In a way I am happy about this. Hopefully we'll get awesome battery life still. However one thing we would have over PSP is cost, is that what project ninja will be for? Since this thing will not have as much power as a PSP our main feature that they don't have is low cost. The hardware would be inexpensive and then you don't have to buy games because they are all homebrew, etc; of course everyone should donate SOME to the devs. How about a compromise? 48 mb? To me I guess it doesn't really matter either way. Extra RAM would be absolutley killer. In the end though ANY extra RAM is worth it because you are only making one time purchases with this thing unless it breaks. So I would rather spend a little extra in the beginning because we don't pay as much for games. Would 48 mb. be good? Someone please answer my question :).

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
tattooman posted on Jul 30 2005 at 03:14 AM said:
PRO's:

Will be faster then the current GP32

Will be about the same cost as the BLU's

Will run off SD cards which are cheaper then the sony memory andf can go up to 4 gigs

Possible TV and controller out

Linux OS

CON's:

Hombrew, Emulators and APPS will have to be written again for it.

Hopefully people won't stop making emulators, homebrew for the GP32 as a result.

-

This is how I look at it but I am going to wait untill all the same emulators have been ported over and if SNES and MAME are much improved and I feel they will then I will get one. Plus if a video out and controller out does happen then it would give a nice retro feel to play games on the TV with a bigger screen would be awsome as well.

I don't understand all of this TV out talk. If you want to play emus on a TV just get an Xbox and mod it ;)

Because it costs more money to buy an xbxox, mod chip and hard drive when you can just have one device do it all!!!! :D Plus the coolness factory as well would be unreal!!!!

If the OS is stored in the NAND memory, couldn't I use a shaved down version of windows instead of the built in linux? Or am I not getting how it works?

not saying they could put it on there :lol: If the NAND memory is accessible in any way I could probably install it.

I remember installing Win 98 on my Pentium 233mhz (with 32Meg RAM and intergrated graphics)

I ran Starcraft and Photoshop on it! Though SC ran like crap.

sam fisher posted on Jul 31 2005 at 01:08 AM said:
and its performance radically drops!

I didn`t say it was any good, It`s just people have done it.

I installed XP Pro on my 166mhz Toshiba mini laptop with 64mb, God was that sloooowww and unusable (talk about slideshow :rolleyes:), It did look cool though. :p

Trooper

RoboJoe32 posted on Jul 30 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
Or am I not getting how it works?

You are not getting it ;)

GamePark could pay for a version of WinCE to be on the GPx2, but there is no way to do it yourself (xbox is different becasue it is basicly a normal PC hardware wise).
Besides the fact that windows would be useless for a arm cpu anyways, since all windows programms are compiled for x86.

Linux is really the only feasable option.

Aww damn, I have no personal vendetta against linux (No reason to, it's a nice setup.) I'm just not familiar with it and don't use anything native to it. So I dunno if i'll be as amazed with the built in OS.

Rough size estimate (measurment drawn by rulers with specifications taken from GPX2 website) of GPX2 sitting next to GP32:

DVC001602.jpg

I found that GP32 sits a lil wider, but height is pretty much the same.

I'm also worried at the fact GPX2 is quite fat, and GPX2 seems pretty much flat in design. Although GP32 and GPX2 has about the same fatness, GP32 feels much more slimmer since it's got that ergonomic design, but as GPX2 seems flat in the back, I dunno how are they're going to deal with 3.5 cm of fatness.

We'll see.

Ah, if only windows ran on arm, 10 bucks says I can make windows XP run on anything above 200 MHZ :D (You just gotta disable that pretty power sapping theme and effects and cut out the "fatty" parts of the OS that do nothing much important.)

On another note, the size doesn't sound too bad, the "thickness" isn't an issue for me, big pockets and I use an old camera case to carry around my GP....

The speaker size and speaker hole size however bothers me a bit, As I don't really like to use headphones while playing.

Well, Hopefully thoughs speakers are like the type that are now used on a lot of mobile phones that have good audio capabilities. They may sound quite tinny but are extremely loud for what they are. Fingers crossed.

On the XP libretto subject, I had turned off EVERY single bit of bloat, But it still ran like a slug on treacle.

Trooper

Well I must say I like the look of the GPX2's design - it's very NGPC which despite the slickness of the PSP, is still probably my overall favorite handheld design in terms of ergonomics.

We do really all need to relax and wait till October.

The best part of all this is that Gamepark is alive, and new underground handhelds can still exist in the world of DS and PSP. Sure I wish it was faster, a 300Mhz CPU would've been perfect, but I think if it can do full speed SNES emulation then people will be happy. And until devs get their hands on it, we don't know what it can do or not. Personally I have my doubts on the usefulness of that 2nd processor to speed up rendering, but no point being negative until we know for sure. So until then, I'll just be looking forward to the GPX2's debut. Hell, I may even change my mind and buy one at launch time. :p

So love it just for existing, Tapwave is gone, at least we still have Gamepark.

RoboJoe32 posted on Jul 31 2005 at 03:10 AM said:
Ah, if only windows ran on arm, 10 bucks says I can make windows XP run on anything above 200 MHZ :D (You just gotta disable that pretty power sapping theme and effects and cut out the "fatty" parts of the OS that do nothing much important.)

On another note, the size doesn't sound too bad, the "thickness" isn't an issue for me, big pockets and I use an old camera case to carry around my GP....

The speaker size and speaker hole size however bothers me a bit, As I don't really like to use headphones while playing.

I wouldn't worry about the speaker hole size. It is even smaller on the PSP and that works fine.

I have a question for the gamepark holdings people, could the video processor assist in 3D along with 2D? And if not, how much would some good 3D acceleration increase the price? If you were to make it an all purpose video accelerator instead of just 2D or 3D only.

hi.. perhaps its too early to ask this cause no one really knows everything about this handheld yet.
Anyway... 2 Questions.
1. in one post i think i read about that GPH said that the gpx2 will support SDIO cards... so it could be possible to use a wifi SDIO card if there is a linux driver for it available?
2. GPH said the usb port wont be Host mode, i can understand that because its still running of 2 AA batteries, but on the gp32 you could set the usb port to Host mode (still no voltage but it worked). will something like that be possible too?

EDIT:
just found that:
http://tuxmobil.org/sdio_linux.html
so for the zaurus there is a driver.. since it also uses an arm cpu it should be possible to use this..

Back