Gpx2 Korean Q&a

tattooman posted on Jul 30 2005 at 03:14 AM said:
PRO's:

Will be faster then the current GP32

Will be about the same cost as the BLU's

Will run off SD cards which are cheaper then the sony memory andf can go up to 4 gigs

Possible TV and controller out

Linux OS

CON's:

Hombrew, Emulators and APPS will have to be written again for it.

Hopefully people won't stop making emulators, homebrew for the GP32 as a result.

-

This is how I look at it but I am going to wait untill all the same emulators have been ported over and if SNES and MAME are much improved and I feel they will then I will get one. Plus if a video out and controller out does happen then it would give a nice retro feel to play games on the TV with a bigger screen would be awsome as well.

I don't understand all of this TV out talk. If you want to play emus on a TV just get an Xbox and mod it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophet posted on Jul 30 2005 at 12:09 AM said:
....I'll tell you all one thing - if this thing really can do more than the specs suggest (as Craigix insists it can) then you should hope and pray that YoyoFr ports his NeoGeo Cd emulator from PSP to GPX2. It's completely amazing, and the games are so good. BUT it does need 333Mhz on PSP to run full speed without frameskip, so I do have to wonder if the 200Mhz is enough. It is awfully like the Zodiac spec, which is weak for this point in history.

Anyway it is good to see GamePark still alive and releasing a new system.

Prophet you really love your PSP I can see...

But as you probably can guess Yoyo is highly unlikely to go back to a weaker system like the GPx2. I think we all know that. I think it was a big mistake too to make a system with such a slow CPU, I guess I am not the only one then.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
PRO's:

Will run off SD cards which are cheaper then the sony memory andf can go up to 4 gigs

Linux OS

CON's:

Hopefully people won't stop making emulators, homebrew for the GP32 as a result.

-

This is how I look at it but I am going to wait untill all the same emulators have been ported over and if SNES and MAME are much improved and I feel they will then I will get one. Plus if a video out and controller out does happen then it would give a nice retro feel to play games on the TV with a bigger screen would be awsome as well.

I don't understand all of this TV out talk. If you want to play emus on a TV just get an Xbox and mod it ;)

You know, there are a lot more things other than emulators on portables (movies hint hint) ;)

DaveC, you are turning into a troll, ill give you another thing to think about, lets forget about the 200Mhz, lets think about the 2 arm9 at 200Mhz.
Now think that in an arm9 1Mhz = 1mips (million of instructions per second), and the MMSP2 (the chip that they will use, confirmed) will do 400mips.
Give me a psp and let me laugh, that's power for emulation, without adding the 2D capabilities of the gpx2.
People that thinks in Mhz on machines that doesnt depend on a single processor (the gp32 does), makes me laugh.
Do you see it now?
Oh, i almost forgot, its 200Mhz in the worst case, i've seen devices with an arm9 at 400Mhz like the tomtom go GPS

EDIT: and, if you want more, think about the nand flash ram, you can use it like ram, is slower than ram to write, but fast to read, you can put a rom in the nand flash and access it directly without the need to copy it to ram, you can use a rom direcly from the nand flash, and you still have those 32Mb free for your code.
The GPx2 isn't perfect, but is far better than you tought, just wait and see, 400 mips, 96Mb of memory to read things...

EDIT2: the arm940t is a general purpose processor, you don't have to use it for video exclusively.

EDIT3: (you will be tired of edits...) do you think that only raw processor power counts? tell that to the one wo did the snes emulator for GBA/NDS, and he will laugh at you like many people may be doing after reading your posts.

JaqMs posted on Jul 30 2005 at 04:06 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
PRO's:

Linux OS

CON's:

-

You know, there are a lot more things other than emulators on portables (movies hint hint) ;)

Bah movies. No movies just games. You want movies buy one of the 10,000 other movie players from Archos, Creative or the PSP if you want games too.

DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 01:20 AM said:
Bah movies. No movies just games. You want movies buy one of the 10,000 other movie players from Archos, Creative or the PSP if you want games too.
But this one is not only an affordable media device, it's also a versatile one (emus, homebrew, mp3, ebooks, jpg viewer...). I would like to see you find a better deal on the market than this.

And PSP you have to convert the file, and you have those resolution restrictions that are just ridiculous. So you can't even enjoy the nice widescreen display (you can stretch it, but that sucks).

K-teto posted on Jul 30 2005 at 04:13 AM said:
DaveC, you are turning into a troll, ill give you another thing to think about, lets forget about the 200Mhz, lets think about the 2 arm9 at 200Mhz.
Now think that in an arm9 1Mhz = 1mips (million of instructions per second), and the MMSP2 (the chip that they will use, confirmed) will do 400mips.
Give me a psp and let me laugh, that's power for emulation, without adding the 2D capabilities of the gpx2.
People that thinks in Mhz on machines that doesnt depend on a single processor (the gp32 does), makes me laugh.
Do you see it now?
Oh, i almost forgot, its 200Mhz in the worst case, i've seen devices with an arm9 at 400Mhz like the tomtom go GPS

EDIT: and, if you want more, think about the nand flash ram, you can use it like ram, is slower than ram to write, but fast to read, you can put a rom in the nand flash and access it directly without the need to copy it to ram, you can use a rom direcly from the nand flash, and you still have those 32Mb free for your code.
The GPx2 isn't perfect, but is far better than you tought, just wait and see, 400 mips, 96Mb of memory to read things...

EDIT2: the arm940t is a general purpose processor, you don't have to use it for video exclusively.

EDIT3: (you will be tired of edits...) do you think that only raw processor power counts? tell that to the one wo did the snes emulator for GBA/NDS, and he will laugh at you like many people may be doing after reading your posts.

You can't use the flash memory for RAM. Flash memory has limited writes. If you keep writing to it as RAM you will burn through its write cycles in a day. Then what, throw it away and buy another? That is not practical and it is slow like you said. It is for installing apps that arent changed much.

Yes some ARM devices go over 400 but this one is at 200 according to GP.

The PSP has dual 333 MHz CPUs, much more powerful than this.

The GBA and DS have hardware sprites and tile engines which SNES uses. This 2D chip is mostly a video chip, it has no tile or sprite hardware, so that is no help for emulation.

You are wrong, the flash ram you are talking about is another type, that flash ram has unlimited writes like normal ram, have you seen a pda before? they use that type of flash ram, is internal, not something that you can replace, its just stupid to put a something that has a limited life internally, don't you think?
And is slower for writing, not reading... :D :D :D please, before posting... do some research and you won't end like a fool.
Well, seeing how you are talking about these things, i can say now that you have no idea what you are talking about, so... enough said, i won't try to convince you.
:D :D :D :D :D :p :D :D :D :D :D
Now, seriously, do you really know what are you talking about?

shinneri posted on Jul 30 2005 at 05:27 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 01:20 AM said:
Bah movies.  No movies just games.  You want movies buy one of the 10,000 other movie players from Archos, Creative or the PSP if you want games too.
But this one is not only an affordable media device, it's also a versatile one (emus, homebrew, mp3, ebooks, jpg viewer...). I would like to see you find a better deal on the market than this.

And PSP you have to convert the file, and you have those resolution restrictions that are just ridiculous. So you can't even enjoy the nice widescreen display (you can stretch it, but that sucks).

Ever hear of "jack of all trades master of none" That is what this is trying to be and what the Zodiac was. If you try to do everything you end up being spread too thin. So you don't have really great game capabilities because some of the cost is split up with movie decoding crap. You don't have great movie capabilities because some is split with gaming stuff. If they just concentrated on one thing that thing would be better. If it didn't have the movie stuff in it they could have maybe given it a faster CPU and more RAM etc.

If this was to be big in playing movies it should have had a widescreen as that matches movies better. If a gaming/emu device then the screen is good as it is.

Reesy posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
I really don't want to give up DrMd ....

Well you won't have to give up DrMD ;) A straight port of DrMD to this new system will probably be full speed at 180Mhz, well thats what I'm hoping anyway. If they've fixed the bus problems that the GP32 suffers from then this should be very possible.

Then all I have to do is make use of the 2d graphics chip to save some more time on the main cpu and then get MegaCD support in there :) I can't wait.
Reesy, you're my Hero! :wub:

K-teto posted on Jul 30 2005 at 05:36 AM said:
You are wrong, the flash ram you are talking about is another type, that flash ram has unlimited writes like normal ram, have you seen a pda before? they use that type of flash ram, is internal, not something that you can replace, its just stupid to put a something that has a limited life internally, don't you think?
And is slower for writing, not reading...  :D  :D  :D  please, before posting... do some research and you won't end like a fool.
Well, seeing how you are talking about these things, i can say now that you have no idea what you are talking about, so... enough said, i won't try to convince you.
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Now, seriously, do you really know what are you talking about?

http://www.answers.com/topic/flash-memory

There is no such thing as unlimited flash memory. The flash memory in those PDAs is limited too. But it is only written to when you install an app. Some flash memory has like 100,000 write cycles, this NAND 1 million. That is almost unlimited when used the way it is intended. RAM however is written to many times per second as registers change and the program is running. You would go through 100,000 even 1 mil very fast doing it like that. Do the math, 200 MHZ can write many times per second. So again flash memory is not RAM. Maybe YOU should do some research and you won't end like a fool ;)

There is no such thing as unlimited flash memory.
Oh, sorry, i've not explained myself well enough, there isn't such thing as unlimited writes flash memory, but i'm not saying that you can use like ram, is just stupid beacuse you can't write fast enough and you have limited writes and erases.
The use i'm talking about is to use it to store the rom (a big one, i can think only of neogeo ones) and read it from the flash ram.
You don't have to write there, just read.
I've said that the flash ram that gpx2 uses has unlimited writes and is wrong, sorry for that, but from your post, it seems that you are talking about something that can be replaced.

You could only put in one ROM at a time though, not too practical. And some Neo ROMs are bigger than 64 anyway.

So the whole point here is that this thing needs larger RAM as I said.

DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 05:59 AM said:
You could only put in one ROM at a time though, not too practical. And some Neo ROMs are bigger than 64 anyway.

I agree with you there, we need more ram, 128Mb would be ideal.
I'd love to use the flash ram only for internal storage, the os, programs, and things like that.

@DaveC

I don't think the zodiac failed because of hardware limitations.

I reckon it failed through lack of units sold due to the high price.

The gpx2 will be a success because its affordable AND innovative regardless of your disaproval of its specs.

DaveC since you're so anti-Gamepark why are you still in these forums. It's like you are some random person that comes here just to say many negative comments about the new system for no reason at all hoping that others will agree with you. Otherwise I guess you'll have to stick with the GP32 :D

K-teto posted on Jul 30 2005 at 06:05 AM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 05:59 AM said:
You could only put in one ROM at a time though, not too practical.  And some Neo ROMs are bigger than 64 anyway.

I agree with you there, we need more ram, 128Mb would be ideal.
I'd love to use the flash ram only for internal storage, the os, programs, and things like that.

Well that is what it would be good for. Internal for all of your apps, stuff like file managers MP3 players, picture viewers etc. I think that is the intended purpose of it.

I'm quite happy with the specs and more happy with the price range.
It will be a relative success, relative if we compare it to the psp and/or DS, gpx2 will not sell much comparing to those 2.
But i think it will sell well enough.

DaveC posted on Jul 30 2005 at 06:31 AM said:
Well that is what it would be good for. Internal for all of your apps, stuff like file managers MP3 players, picture viewers etc. I think that is the intended purpose of it.
And you can still store a rom there and read it, but yo will only need that with a large one, so... not so many writes with that.

Back