Gpx2 Korean Q&a

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:46 PM said:
I really don't want to give up DrMd ....

Well you won't have to give up DrMD ;) A straight port of DrMD to this new system will probably be full speed at 180Mhz, well thats what I'm hoping anyway. If they've fixed the bus problems that the GP32 suffers from then this should be very possible.

Then all I have to do is make use of the 2d graphics chip to save some more time on the main cpu and then get MegaCD support in there :) I can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing is going to have better video capabilities than the Creative Zen portable media player, which costs around $450 and can only play videos under 800kbs. This alone is going to make me want a gpx2. As far as the emu scene goes, I am not worried about the GP community catching up with their emulators. This unit is going to SMOKE on emulation. Besides, we got CraigX who holds coding compos every year, which stimulates the GP scene to develop newer stuff for it. I know this thing is going to be hot. I just hope they lose that control stick and go with a directional pad. And they ought to allow those batteries to be recharged through the USB cable.

pferguso posted on Jul 29 2005 at 09:17 PM said:
This thing is going to have better video capabilities than the Creative Zen portable media player, which costs around $450 and can only play videos under 800kbs. This alone is going to make me want a gpx2.  As far as the emu scene goes, I am not worried about the GP community catching up with their emulators.  This unit is going to SMOKE on emulation.  Besides, we got CraigX who holds coding compos every year, which stimulates the GP scene to develop newer stuff for it.  I know this thing is going to be hot.  I just hope they lose that control stick and go with a directional pad.  And they ought to allow those batteries to be recharged through the USB cable.
It's Craigix.

Reesy posted on Jul 29 2005 at 09:14 PM said:

Well you won't have to give up DrMD ;) A straight port of DrMD to this new system will probably be full speed at 180Mhz, well thats what I'm hoping anyway. If they've fixed the bus problems that the GP32 suffers from then this should be very possible.

Then all I have to do is make use of the 2d graphics chip to save some more time on the main cpu and then get MegaCD support in there :) I can't wait.
Urge... to buy... rising....

polooo2 posted on Jul 29 2005 at 04:49 PM said:
Q. No TV-OUT? We want TV-Out!

A. GPX2 has no on-board TV-OUT feature, but we are considering a peripheral that allows you this function VIA UART extention.

Q. GPX2 has 32 megs of memory. Is it not too small?

A. GPX2 currently has 32 megabytes of main memory, and 64 megabytes of NAND memory. (OS will use a portion of NAND memory), but due to a lot of customer demands, we are considering 64megabytes for main memory.
Once it is decided, we will let you know of this.

Wow, I was a bit sceptical about the GPx2 at first, but these two just made my day.

The first one means it is possible to use the ext-port to have TV out, and they are even considering to release a box for it (maybe even with the possibility to connect more controllers).

And the second one is awesome too, if they really do it.

Awesome, just awesome :)

this thing looks awsome! And it sounds like some good developers are on board. Will doom and quake be ported to it? what about scummvm? If snes runs well with sound and it is within a reasonable price I am sure I will buy it. When is it coming out? Will it be officially released in the US or will you have to imort it? Also, will it be easier to rip dvd's and play them on it? because with the gp32 it was a lot of work and then they still never played that well....Anyways, great stuff

Julius posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:34 PM said:

A. GPX2 has no on-board TV-OUT feature, but we are considering a peripheral that allows you this function VIA UART extention.

A. GPX2 currently has 32 megabytes of main memory, and 64 megabytes of NAND memory. (OS will use a portion of NAND memory), but due to a lot of customer demands, we are considering 64megabytes for main memory.

Wow, I was a bit sceptical about the GPx2 at first, but these two just made my day.

The first one means it is possible to use the ext-port to have TV out, and they are even considering to release a box for it (maybe even with the possibility to connect more controllers).

According to Donskeeto (a dev) the first one is a pile of shit as UART doesn't support high enough transfer rates.

Is anyone else getting a little sick of DaveC trolling every gpx2 topic that exists with the same complaints? <_<

Anyway, thank you once again polooo for the translation. :) This thing is looking better and better. I personally trust GPH and craigix that this thing is powerful enough since they're the ones that really know what this thing does. And, if possible, with overclocking (each processor to ~250) this will... perform better than a 500mhz processor, if GPH's claim holds true? I like the sound of that...

Reesy posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:14 PM said:

But doesn't the Mega CD have TWO 68000 CPUs and some DSP chips? How are you planning to emulate all of that stuff at 200 MHz? I know you are a great coder and if anyone could do it you probably could but I am super skeptical on that one. I would imagine a bug free cyclone core is important too but you seem to be close to squashing the last pesky bugs there.

Ok I don't want to give up Atari-800 and Lynx. Lynx was my favorite handheld in the day. I haven't heard from the dude that did it in awhile. It is a shame he was making such good progress. Since it was close to full speed at 166 it would have been perfect at 200.

But if you get DrMD up and running I will have to buy one of these just for that ;)

pferguso posted on Jul 29 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
I just hope they lose that control stick and go with a directional pad.

As I understant it the standard Cross dpad was copyrighted by Nintendo for game systems which is why so many people dont use it (IE. Sony, MS, and many tri party controllers can't use the same style dpad as the Nintendo consoles or GBA/DS, unless they pay a fee.)

@davec

why dont you update your sig with the 200Mhz is not enough statement then you dont have to keep writing the same thing.

Its boring, unfounded and annoying

Your turning into a troll

Alpha2 posted on Jul 29 2005 at 07:12 PM said:
pferguso posted on Jul 29 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
I just hope they lose that control stick and go with a directional pad.

As I understant it the standard Cross dpad was copyrighted by Nintendo for game systems which is why so many people dont use it (IE. Sony, MS, and many tri party controllers can't use the same style dpad as the Nintendo consoles or GBA/DS, unless they pay a fee.)
Plus the stick is great. ;)

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:11 PM said:
Since it [Lynx emulator] was close to full speed at 166 it would have been perfect at 200.

It is perfect somewhere between 200mhz and 256mhz on the original GP32. I have been playing all Lynx games at full speed for some time :p

Hanz™ posted on Jul 29 2005 at 10:46 PM said:
According to Donskeeto (a dev) the first one is a pile of shit as UART doesn't support high enough transfer rates.

Well that is what I feared all along, but lets wait and see. Is UART some sort of standart, or could they have implemented a faster version than the one used in the original GP32?

Might as well use Reesy's post as a quote for sales ads. :p If Reesy is planning to support this thing, then it's a must-buy. Not sure I'll be an early adopter this time around, might wait a few months and see what people have to say about it.

I'll tell you all one thing - if this thing really can do more than the specs suggest (as Craigix insists it can) then you should hope and pray that YoyoFr ports his NeoGeo Cd emulator from PSP to GPX2. It's completely amazing, and the games are so good. BUT it does need 333Mhz on PSP to run full speed without frameskip, so I do have to wonder if the 200Mhz is enough. It is awfully like the Zodiac spec, which is weak for this point in history.

Anyway it is good to see GamePark still alive and releasing a new system.

Prophet posted on Jul 30 2005 at 12:09 AM said:
I'll tell you all one thing - if this thing really can do more than the specs suggest (as Craigix insists it can) then you should hope and pray that YoyoFr ports his NeoGeo Cd emulator from PSP to GPX2. It's completely amazing, and the games are so good. BUT it does need 333Mhz on PSP to run full speed without frameskip,.

NeoGeo Cd runs great on the Dreamcast, which has only 200mhz as well (ok it can't be compared 1:1, but the main chip of the dreamcast is about as fast as the one in the old GP32 overclocked; it just wasn't possible to do on the GP32 because of the low amount of ram).

P.S.: Thanks to Chui and Quazar for the great NeoGeoCD emulators on the Dreamcast ;)

My friends' PC is packing 2.6 GHZ of power, mine only has a meager 1.8, yet he has an inferior graphics card and so-so processor architecture. Mine has an excellent graphics card and good processor architecture... Now tell me...

Which PC is better?

In the logic of "more main processor MHZ= better." His is, but in the logic of pure power and versitility, mine is...

If a dev can use the video hardware in a PC to assist in emulation along with the main processor, a dev can use the GPx2 the same way.

Plus I don't see how a few programming and bios tricks couldn't use that 400MHZ of video power as a faux main processor in a way anyways.

RoboJoe32 posted on Jul 30 2005 at 01:00 AM said:
My friends' PC is packing 2.6 GHZ of power, mine only has a meager 1.8, yet he has an inferior graphics card and so-so processor architecture. Mine has an excellent graphics card and good processor architecture... Now tell me...

Which PC is better?

In the logic of "more main processor MHZ= better." His is, but in the logic of pure power and versitility, mine is...

If a dev can use the video hardware in a PC to assist in emulation along with the main processor, a dev can use the GPx2 the same way.

Plus I don't see how a few programming and bios tricks couldn't use that 400MHZ of video power as a faux main processor in a way anyways.
im sure davec will tell you

Hanz™ posted on Jul 29 2005 at 10:46 PM said:
Julius posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:34 PM said:

Damn. :( I hope it turns out to be good after all - I was looking forward to the tv-out (it would be usefull just for playing movies, even).

And guys, lay off of DaveC. ;) He makes some valid points, and if he repeats them so often it's because there are tons of people who make silly posts without reading the whole thread first, so there has to be some balance. :ph34r:

PRO's:

Will be faster then the current GP32

Will be about the same cost as the BLU's

Will run off SD cards which are cheaper then the sony memory andf can go up to 4 gigs

Possible TV and controller out

Linux OS

CON's:

Hombrew, Emulators and APPS will have to be written again for it.

Hopefully people won't stop making emulators, homebrew for the GP32 as a result.

-

This is how I look at it but I am going to wait untill all the same emulators have been ported over and if SNES and MAME are much improved and I feel they will then I will get one. Plus if a video out and controller out does happen then it would give a nice retro feel to play games on the TV with a bigger screen would be awsome as well.

Back