Gpx2 Korean Q&a

polooo2

GPX2 Q&A @ gpzigi

Hello, this is GamePark Holdings. We've prepared some answers for most frequently asked questions by our customers.

Q. Why is the CPU only 200Mhz? Is it not slower than 400Mhz?

A. The 200Mhz CPU GPX2 uses has 2d acceleration and video acceleration chip within it unlike the other (Samsung 2440 series, intel or AMD) CPU's.
Higher clock doesn't always necessarily mean a better performance nor higher framerate. We have concluded this after an extensive testing.
200Mhz with 2d acceleration came out faster than the 400Mhz.

Q. Why are there no USB hosting?

A. GPX2 is an portable multimedia device. We've discussed about this in-house, but battery usage and hardware manufacturing cost was an issue so we decided to leave it out in this version.
But we promise you that we will do our best to include it in the next version of GPX2 (Hard disc type, planned for Q4 2006).

Q. No TV-OUT? We want TV-Out!

A. GPX2 has no on-board TV-OUT feature, but we are considering a peripheral that allows you this function VIA UART extention.

Q. Will GPX2 run GP32 games?

A. GPX2 runs on different hardware and OS. GPX2 will not support GP32 games and programs. But we promise you that GPX2 will support its games to the fullest.

Q. Does GPX2 come only in white? Any plans for other colors?

A. We have not decided on what color GPX2 will come in. The shots of GPX2 on our website is just a test version, but due to the massive demands, we are also planning on black and silver.

Q. GPX2 has 32 megs of memory. Is it not too small?

A. GPX2 currently has 32 megabytes of main memory, and 64 megabytes of NAND memory. (OS will use a portion of NAND memory), but due to a lot of customer demands, we are considering 64megabytes for main memory.
Once it is decided, we will let you know of this.

We are trying our best to please you. We are truely sorry that we can't make a machine that will satisfy you 100%. We are also trying to make a very affordable portable device. We're yet burning another midnight oil!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done.

Cheers.

The gpx2 site has a forum, and the admin says that the gpx2 will be launched in October. Is this confirmed? It seems if they are contemplating changing the amount of RAM in this thing, that it is cutting it pretty close, right?

pretty close, but would absolutely be a right move

otherwise we'd be stuck with crappy 32mb till the next model.

black = yeah!

Q. Does GPX2 come only in white? Any plans for other colors?

A. We have not decided on what color GPX2 will come in. The shots of GPX2 on our website is just a test version, but due to the massive demands, we are also planning on black and silver.

The admin of the GPX2-site said that they'll release just a black version first.

Jaw posted on Jul 29 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
why are they putting an os on it? trying to waste what little power it does have on keeping that running? just plain daft

It can always unload itself upon launching a program, much or less like a firmware.

It just requires larger space now that it's more like PMP and uses larger storage device.
And also it uses NAND memory. We don't have to worry about OS taking up a portion of RAM space.

I'm pretty sure they're designing GPX2 with emus in mind. I'm also pretty sure they'll get the machine to acceptable level.

Last edited by a moderator:
why are they putting an os on it? trying to waste what little power it does have on keeping that running? just plain daft

Well, they advertise that thing as a PMP, so an OS is easier for them to add things like video-functions.

And multitasking is maybe possible. Think of playing your own mp3s while playing games.

yeah... its black/silver....

and they dont *waste* any power on the os.....
i think you will be able to deactivate the os or it will use the os just for media-player purpose.

Edit: dang, polooo2 was faster ;P

Why couldn't they have made it so it could run all of our old emus? I really don't want to give up DrMd and other emus like Atari 800, PC-engine just so I can watch movies (which I will never do).

And I am sorry 200 MHz is still not enough to run SNES or Neo Geo very well (see Zodiac, similar specs).

@ polooo2- I'm assuming you translated this? thanks! it is most appreciated; i hope you continue with them ;) :D

Well, it seems that gamepark may be listening after all... I guess we shall find out soon enough. I'm actually getting more excited about this thing; I hope they pull it off.

@ DaveC- your comments are very sensible, but you voice your opinoin too much.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
Why couldn't they have made it so it could run all of our old emus? I really don't want to give up DrMd and other emus like Atari 800, PC-engine just so I can watch movies (which I will never do).

And I am sorry 200 MHz is still not enough to run SNES or Neo Geo very well (see Zodiac, similar specs).

So what? Developers will just make emus for the Gpx2 just like they did for the Gp32. Also, the dude said that 200MHz combined w/ 2d acceleration would be like 400+ MHz according to their tests. Got anymore Gpx2 bashing?

triksR4rabits posted on Jul 29 2005 at 06:54 PM said:
@ polooo2- I'm assuming you translated this? thanks! it is most appreciated; i hope you continue with them ;) :D

Thank you very much. Your appreciation is most appreciated. :D

Davec - It's been already said multiple times: 400Mhz wouldn't have made it any better. 200mhz with 2d acceleration, although I have no idea by how much, is better than single 400mhz. If they went for single 400mhz solution would've meant for us that we will once again have no transparency and other graphical effects (at least not without a big performence hit)
If coded right, using the 2d acceleration to it's fullest capacity, would make SNES very possible. Maybe even GBA

And 200Mhz by default means it already has more power than GP32 from it's take-off by just the CPU alone. Emulators that runs fine on GP32 should have no problem being ported to GPX2 even without making use of the 2d acceleration chip.

My 2 cents.

DaveC can you not read?

Higher clock doesn't always necessarily mean a better performance nor higher framerate. We have concluded this after an extensive testing.
200Mhz with 2d acceleration came out faster than the 400Mhz.

I'm trusting them on this one. I mean I bet you are just thinking single-mindedly of a handheld with the power of a 200 MHz overclocked GP32. Why don't you complain about the DS, it only has 67 MHz, so according to you it must not be able to emulate anything.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
Why couldn't they have made it so it could run all of our old emus?    I really don't want to give up DrMd and other emus like Atari 800, PC-engine just so I can watch movies (which I will never do).

btw more recently they have said that the 2nd processor can be used for "general purposes", and the 1st one is also apparently a floating-point processor.
They have also stated that this set-up performs better than a 400mhz processor, so I would no longer be so sure of yourself.

200mhz is the base speed of the processor - I saw the same processor running at 266mhz in a spec sheet somewhere, so there may be a chance of overclocking.

Edit: Its cool if they listen to us, and do include 64mb of RAM.
And I am sure that Linux will beable to be unloaded when it is deemed neccessary, I presume stuff like that will be able to be updated every now and again.

tengen posted on Jul 29 2005 at 07:09 PM said:
Why couldn't they have made it so it could run all of our old emus?    I really don't want to give up DrMd and other emus like Atari 800, PC-engine just so I can watch movies (which I will never do).

So what? Developers will just make emus for the Gpx2 just like they did for the Gp32. Also, the dude said that 200MHz combined w/ 2d acceleration would be like 400+ MHz according to their tests. Got anymore Gpx2 bashing?

You know this? Which developers? Who? Just because it released they are just going to automatically buy one of these and start coding? They won't go for the more powerful PSP or something else. How do you know? Devs did this for the GP32 as it was the most powerful at the time, this will be the weakest new handheld.

Yes it will be like 400 mhz for MOVIES because of the hardware video shit in it. For emus though it will be 200 MHz period. Again look at the Zodiac same setup (200 MHz, 2D GPU) , emus are about the same speed as the current GP32 only SLIGHTLY smoother on some. Even developers have said this (Squidge Skeezix etc) So if you don't believe me believe them.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
tengen posted on Jul 29 2005 at 07:09 PM said:

You know this? Which developers? Who? Just because it released they are just going to automatically buy one of these and start coding? They won't go for the more powerful PSP or something else. How do you know? Devs did this for the GP32 as it was the most powerful at the time, this will be the weakest new handheld.

Yes it will be like 400 mhz for MOVIES because of the hardware video shit in it. For emus though it will be 200 MHz period. Again look at the Zodiac same setup (200 MHz, 2D GPU) , emus are about the same speed as the current GP32 only SLIGHTLY smoother on some. Even developers have said this (Squidge Skeezix etc) So if you don't believe me believe them.
Not all devs have been so harsh about it recently, check Squidges recent posts.

Most devs are pretty interested in it now - and if not it seems we will still get somewhere with gamepark overseeing the development of some emulators.

I can't believe anyone who's been following this scene could be skeptical or have negative things to say. It's a new GP handheld: there's going to be cool stuff released for it. If you are so worried about power, go get a PSP and fuck around with that thing. It's not like the option isn't there.

Back