Gpsp2x Goes Public With V9008!

The whole config file thing is most likely a very likely cause for peoples crashes and slow down, as they save important per-game settings such as the audio buffer, which changed drastically in the value when releasing the past 2-3 versions due to expierementing with the values. So please follow this advice when upgrading or expierencing crashes of this nature.

An good improvement besides the new dynarec work would be, if the emulator wouldn't hang my whole GP2X while crashing. :lol: Even with the Wrapper-function of Gmenu2X I have to restart my Handheld. GPSP is the ONLY programm on My GP2X with this ability, it was surely hard to code to Crash an GP2X I think. :lol:

Uhm....While 2-3Hours of Play i usualy have only 1 crash in Metroid Fusion with the current version of GPSP, so It's not that bad I think. :)
But Boss-Fights with less than 20FPS are really a pain in the Ass I can tell you. :lol:

Woohoooo! Totally playable Baldur's Gate means the first portable Diablo surrogate! I'm so happy :D Thank you Zod! You totally deserve all the donations you're getting.

*No constructive comments yet due to excess excitement.

I've only tried V9007, and while the emulation is pretty good, the menu is pretty irritating. Firstly it's pretty confusing, mainly when you got things organized in columns, but what helps the least is your input handling. I mean if you press the Y button (or was it X? I always get em confused) too long (understand, more than a twentieth of a second), it double clicks.

In case you're not aware, usually people do some thing so that a key press is only interpretted once as a key press and as soon has its status updated, or something. And about the scaling, it didn't look right, I mean, looks like it was scaled for a PSP screen, but no big deal, I wouldn't use it anyways.

A_SN posted on Mar 21 2007 at 10:32 PM said:
I've only tried V9007, and while the emulation is pretty good, the menu is pretty irritating.
There is a reason for the menu not being entirely appropriate. It's ported from the PSP version and Zod doesn't want to change it right now. It makes updating the emu a little trickier.

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep posted on Mar 21 2007 at 12:42 PM said:
A_SN posted on Mar 21 2007 at 10:32 PM said:
I've only tried V9007, and while the emulation is pretty good, the menu is pretty irritating.
There is a reason for the menu not being entirely appropriate. It's ported from the PSP version and Zod doesn't want to change it right now. It makes updating the emu a little trickier.

Oh OK, well, makes sense. But if the button repeat problem could be fixed. I looked in the sources but didn't manage to figure out how to fix this, although I know how to theorically do..

I too could fix up the menu but the menu system isn't a priority for me. It will be more of a priority once the new and improved dynarec from Exophase is ready (hopefully within less than 2 weeks). But keep in mind both Exophase and I prefer functionality over excess "flashy" graphics. So when the menu is replaced, it will be for functionality reasons and not to make it look better. If it looks better, it's a good side effect. :p

Lot's of good stuff happening with gpSP right now and I can tell Exophase is working hard. Patience. :)

Patience my young padawan

or something like that xD
I don't care about menu, version without crashes is a priority for me ;-) Right now I get crashes rarely. I've learnt to make saves frequently so I don't mind much but still it can be pain in the ass sometimes...

zodttd posted on Mar 21 2007 at 04:07 PM said:
I too could fix up the menu but the menu system isn't a priority for me. It will be more of a priority once the new and improved dynarec from Exophase is ready (hopefully within less than 2 weeks). But keep in mind both Exophase and I prefer functionality over excess "flashy" graphics. So when the menu is replaced, it will be for functionality reasons and not to make it look better. If it looks better, it's a good side effect. :p

I think it was suggested but the menu in Picodrive is laid out well and it is just a column of text. It certainly isn't "flashy" at all but it is many many times more intuitive than the default. Should be easy to implement on all versions too. Just use the way it is structured with the heirarchy of the menu selections and you will be good.

DaveC posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:21 PM said:
zodttd posted on Mar 21 2007 at 04:07 PM said:

I think it was suggested but the menu in Picodrive is laid out well and it is just a column of text. It certainly isn't "flashy" at all but it is many many times more intuitive than the default. Should be easy to implement on all versions too. Just use the way it is structured with the heirarchy of the menu selections and you will be good.

I know this isn't the GP2X version, but are you referring to this? (n-gage version, other versions seem to have a similar layout, but I can't find a shot of the GP2X one)

http://www.tdubel.com/n-gage/kuvat/emulaat...t/picodrive.png

If so gpSP's current layout is similar, in fact, even the general ordering of things are almost the same. There are submenus, but gpSP overall has far more options to worry about (and a more indepth savestate system, etc). I've tried to put the most common options on the main menu, and there's help explaining what every option does.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "default", but if you mean what gpSP already has could you explain what is unintuitive about it? Because I think that most of the complaints with the GP2X GUI are centered around the fact that it's not formatted for the screen, that the screen capture is being overwritten (and perhaps doesn't have a lot of business being there for this version), that a lot of options flat out don't work or haven't been tailored for the GP2X version (or even reffer to the PSP directly), the button layout (which I don't really like either), or the lack of proper autorepeat (this is a big killer, IMO).

In other words, things that don't apply to the PSP version and can for the most part be rectified to some degree. There have been some complaints aside from that from the PSP users, but 99% of them are "make it prettier." There are some other minor things I intend to do, like no longer show .bin files, have the L/R triggers scroll several entries in the file selection, have the cursor wrap around in the file selection, and maybe have a confirmation for quitting.

Part of the reason the GP2X GUI isn't that great is because a lot of things are not implemented or disabled for the PC version (which it's more based off of than the PSP version). That and the resolution difference, of course. I think that changing the font dimensions and removing some text will help a lot there, although I don't know if the snapshot will be viewable (it's more useful for savestate preview than anything).

fatdad, zod changes the topic title with the latest release's version number, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Side note: Exophase needs an A/C adapter for testing builds -- someone have one they can donate, or even lend for a while?

gp2x version of picodrive menu shoots are here http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Picodrive

and i think thats it,s not the menu itself that is unsatisfactory in Gpsp but that the menu does strange things to the frame buffer making the menu flicker and showing 2 colors where theres no menu entries.
and also as we all know the gp2x stick is somewhat ... jerky and it makes the picking of menu entries unresponsive. in Gpsp

and the gp2x Picodrive menu seems to adress those things in a elegant way (source is availible also)

Btw super nice emu Exophase :)
super nice porting zodttd :)

and i do not share the complaints the psp crowd has about the menu system i rather have a good core with a menu that just works.
than a fluffy menu and core that shits out on me.
Ascii menus rulez and your menu is pretty to me Exophase

it just seems tailored for the Psp, and therefor behaves strange on the gp2x.

zodttd posted on Mar 21 2007 at 05:07 PM said:

Lot's of good stuff happening with gpSP right now and I can tell Exophase is working hard. Patience. :)

at least it could be white on black instead of white on blue (this would make the text more readable :) ) and the Display could be complete black and not just some Text with black background on the picture? *waiting to play Golden Sun German Edition Fullspeed with Sound*

Exophase posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:07 PM said:
"but 99% of them are "make it prettier."

For a prettier menu that also works great, you should take a look at DrMD or PocketSNES by Reesy:

fbdump.png

Easy to navigate, easy to configurate and easy on the eyes :D

Personaly, it's my favorite built in menu!

I've no problems with the menu. Strange, we're so close to perfect fullspeed GBA on the GP2X and people are bothered about the menu! Will be a nice finishing touch though :)

Do people who use gmenu2X as their front end for gpSP2X find it adequate? I might try using this method.

imhotep posted on Mar 21 2007 at 06:14 PM said:
Do people who use gmenu2X as their front end for gpSP2X find it adequate? I might try using this method.

I've been using it. Still have to go through the LCD tweaker screen but otherwise works okay to load a rom directly from gmenu.

Sounds worthwhile. Being able to scroll through games quickly and precisely is the main thing.

GunPei2X posted on Mar 21 2007 at 07:57 PM said:
fatdad, zod changes the topic title with the latest release's version number, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Side note: Exophase needs an A/C adapter for testing builds -- someone have one they can donate, or even lend for a while?

all this time i thought it was the same 1...doh :rolleyes:

Back