Gpsp Is Out!

gp2.eXe said:
fettouhi said:
fettouhi said:
:(I've been playing Legend of Zelda - Minish Cap on the gpsp (Caanoo) and I'm almost through it but I found out now that the game crashes a certain place. So I can't get any further :( .

Same problem on the Wiz with gpsp. Either there is a problem with the emulator or the my rom of Minish cap is broken :( .

Nope, this is a known bug with this specific game (Crash at the last dungeon). GPSP for GP2X had the same problem, so it is emulator related.

You can get around it by passing the area with the whirlwinds on an emu for PC, then saving and finishing the game back on the handheld.

Hmm... problem is that I'm using a savestate and not a save game. Is the gpsp savestate compatible in another gba emulator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a save state before the crash? If so, just go into the menu and save. Exit gpsp and you'll get a sav file that you can use in vba on your computer.

redlemon said:
Do you have a save state before the crash? If so, just go into the menu and save. Exit gpsp and you'll get a sav file that you can use in vba on your computer.

Yes, that I have. I'll try that.

EDIT: Yep that works!!!

Hey zx-81,
thanks for the port, works fine here.

Would you mind adding the ability to run a rom passing the file as a parameter to gpsp on the command line, so that it can work with an external selector (in particular I would use gmenu2x itself).
I remember adding that functionality to the gp2x port and sending a patch to Exophase at the time. I could rewrite it and send the patch to you if you are willing to integrate it, even though I am already busy working on gmenu2x for the caanoo.

Thanks.

it works already, you can modify the gpsp.gpe script to transmit $* to gpsp_caanoo binary. If you use relative path to a rom file, be aware that it should be relative to the directory specified in romdir.txt. The best is to use absolute path to rom file.

zx-81 said:
it works already, you can modify the gpsp.gpe script to transmit $* to gpsp_caanoo binary. If you use relative path to a rom file, be aware that it should be relative to the directory specified in romdir.txt. The best is to use absolute path to rom file.

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought I created the link against gpsp_caanoo but it was using gpsp.gpe. It works fine now.

I have another small issue with the menu of gpsp (I think I sent a patch for the gp2x about this too). When you press X in the menu, so that you go back to the game, the input is passed to the game but it should be ignored. This means that when I cancel the menu I can accidentally trigger an unwanted action in the game.

Ryo said:
zx-81 said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought I created the link against gpsp_caanoo but it was using gpsp.gpe. It works fine now.

I have another small issue with the menu of gpsp (I think I sent a patch for the gp2x about this too). When you press X in the menu, so that you go back to the game, the input is passed to the game but it should be ignored. This means that when I cancel the menu I can accidentally trigger an unwanted action in the game.

How about using a central repo (or even distributed) so that code can be shared more easily? It would be nice to reduce the number of different versions of the code, src tarballs are a pain to patch/diff.

http://sources.cosam.org/svn/gpsp/ is available, I believe it was created to allow collaboration on a Pandora port. I have a patch for that repo to allow the x86 port to build under Windows and Linux (sadly it crashes, but it does build once patched :) ). I also stumbled across this repo the other day http://code.google.com/p/gnetdriver/source/browse/

Is there any interest in getting gpsp into source code control? My personal interesting is updating the Dingoo port, but I'd like to get the desktop version working first to make debugging easier.

clach04 said:
How about using a central repo (or even distributed) so that code can be shared more easily? It would be nice to reduce the number of different versions of the code, src tarballs are a pain to patch/diff.

http://sources.cosam.org/svn/gpsp/ is available, I believe it was created to allow collaboration on a Pandora port. I have a patch for that repo to allow the x86 port to build under Windows and Linux (sadly it crashes, but it does build once patched :) ). I also stumbled across this repo the other day http://code.google.com/p/gnetdriver/source/browse/

Is there any interest in getting gpsp into source code control? My personal interesting is updating the Dingoo port, but I'd like to get the desktop version working first to make debugging easier.

That's exactly what I thought. If the source was on github/bitbucket/gitorious (I love github) it would be a lot easier to submit and receive patches. Pull requests are really handy.

Fantastic work those that made this!

To verify something- Camelot games seem to start ok and reboot- IE i even see the gba bios boot almost instantly after starting to play.

Is this normal for the emu at this time?

Yeah, Camelot games are notoriously hard to emulate, I don't think any handheld emulator has cracked it yet.

Popcorn Dave said:
Yeah, Camelot games are notoriously hard to emulate, I don't think any handheld emulator has cracked it yet.

what about the final fantasy games? They run pretty ass, where as most everything else is buttery? ARe they an issue also?

Here is a new version (but it doesn't fix any incompatibility game issue)
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/491-Caanoo-gpsp-Gameboy-advance-Emulator-for-Caanoo-v0.9.2.html

Here is the changelog :
- default keymap changed that's recommaned by GPH, for example HOME button
(be aware that you must press HOME button for few seconds to exit, since this key is also used to go back to the main menu from the game window)
- overclocking support (big thanks to GPH for the code)
- improve scrolling sensitivity

Nice, thanks.

I can't seem to be able to get the FPS counter to appear anymore, either through the default button or another keybind. Scaled or unscaled, not hiding under bezel.

Now that overclocking works, it seems to now need a FPS limiter to prevent some games from running too fast, then slowing, then back to too fast.

Any thoughts on a rom selector that displays filenames properly from left to right instead of the reverse? (The one thing that has really annoyed me about GPSP)

Also... psst, you forgot to remove the bios.

someoneElse said:
Nice, thanks.

I can't seem to be able to get the FPS counter to appear anymore, either through the default button or another keybind. Scaled or unscaled, not hiding under bezel.

Now that overclocking works, it seems to now need a FPS limiter to prevent some games from running too fast, then slowing, then back to too fast.

Any thoughts on a rom selector that displays filenames properly from left to right instead of the reverse? (The one thing that has really annoyed me about GPSP)

Also... psst, you forgot to remove the bios.

Thanks for your feedback. For the last point, i've uploaded a new zip file, thanks :)

I have the problem, that gpsp crashes when I try to load a second rom, it drops me back to the Caanoo menu. When I start gpsp again and check the clockspeed it's 700, but whenever I load a new rom, it switches back to 533 MHz.

Back