Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

Time for sleep! I'll have v9005 up tommorow (12 hours from now) if all goes well. :)

zodttd posted on Mar 11 2007 at 07:42 AM said:
Time for sleep!
Me too :lol:

zodttd posted on Mar 11 2007 at 07:42 AM said:
I'll have v9005 up tommorow (12 hours from now) if all goes well. :)

Thank you, I will be waiting it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
zodttd posted on Mar 10 2007 at 07:01 PM said:
DaveC: From what others have reported to me on those games, it seems either somethings strangely wrong or you're very precise with timing. Have you tried any other games? Basically what I'd like to know is if there's any game that will run perfect for you currently? For example, something like PacMan Collection or Chu Chu Rocket. If these are not currently perfect, there will be nothing to come close to your expectation.

Though I can say quite confidently fullspeed GBA using a low autoframeskip (3 or 4 always works smoothly for me but should work with less soon) and no overclocking is quite obtainable within a reasonable time. :)

I did try the Pacman collection. It is not "perfect" on my system at 240. If I use the default FS 4 it is choppy. I find anything over FS2 is noticeably framey. In some slower times it is ok but at FS4 (just think about it, skipping 4 frames is alot) as soon as something taxing happens it gets very choppy. To me FS 1 or 2 qualifies as a low frameskip. I don't know if that is true for others. I guess I compare it to the PSP version and that is how I guage this one. Hopefully the PSP level of smoothness could be reached someday on the GP2X but only you know if that is possible or not.

Does the emu need that CPU speed program to load every time? It would be nicer if it could just boot into the emu right away without having to go through that. Couldn't the speed just be set in the main GUI? That would be cleaner. Hopefully you could eventually use a better menu (try the one from Picodrive or DrPocketSNES, you could even use the source for those as reference). I know that it isn't your priority but I hope that will be improved before the point where you consider the emu finished.

The emu is a very impressive piece of work. Thanks for everything.

sam fisher posted on Mar 10 2007 at 08:18 PM said:
Thtas nice. Its a laptop right, based on the "GoForce" :p I wonder how the FX 7950 compares to my XFX 7600GT XXX edition?
I wonder how it compares to my 7900GS with 0.25 core voltmod @ 650mhz core for the last 4 months :D. 1.58Ghz on the ram (256MB GDDR3). I wish I could do a laptop, but the 7900GS was hard enough to buy ($120 +$8 shipping :p)

Zodttd i think that a lot of people are thinking that if you choose auto frameskipping 4 the game only jumps frames if needed from 1 to 4 depending of the game demand, but in this case is not truth, is this emu it is doing frameskip 4 all the time.I thin auto is doing like manual.
I get 60 frames in a lot of games choosing auto frameskip 1 or 4 but if i choose auto frameskip 4 it´s choppy (counter shows 60 fps too).
Many people set the deafult auto frameskip to 4 thinking that is really working like in others emus ,but in this case no.
So i advice to people set always to autoframeskip 1.All is smoother and really incredible :)

I hope that my english is enough to explain what i wanted to :D

congrats on your new laptop zodttd! i also have the clevo m570u! its a great laptop! i have i with dothan 2.13ghz (working at 2,46) and geforce go 7800 gtx!

Just out of interest, what RAM timings do you all find to be the best? I've played with it a little, and all I can seem to get is worse perfomance and more freezing ;)

same random freezing here in 9004d

bubble bobble old & new after 10-15 seconds gameplay
aleck bordon adventure more than 20seconds gameplay or random

noticed a really terriffic smooth gameplay in bubble bobble but just for a second..the scroll, enemies, baloons ..everything in "crystal-clear" smoothness otherwise choppy

anyway bigthankyou for this amazing beta

Same here. For example Summon Night gives me 60FPS at FS4 and it is choppy but when I change frame skip to 1 it still gives me 60FPS and it's smooth.
Now a little summary of my tests:

My settings:
* CPU: 255MHz
* FS: auto
* Audio: on, 512b of buffer
* Screen: 3:2 unscalled (it doesn't make much difference in games I've tested)

Summary:
* 2d games work motsly flawlessly at 255MHz (I haven't tried 240MHz).
* 3d games are usually choppy.
* frame counter isn't accurate. 24 FPS look more like 15FPS...
* In most tested games there is a major speed up when user control is turned off, fe. during cutscenes. Ingame cutscenes in Tony Hawk's American Skateland are fullspeed while the game itself crawls.
* Hang-up bug is happening to me too.

Game Stats:

Sega Rally Championship
> ~34FPS ingame (FS 3)
> choppy sound

Serious Sam Advance (U) (M3)
> 12FPS ingame (FS 3) - unplayable
> choppy sound

Konami Krazy racers
> ~35FPS ingame (FS 2)
> very choppy sound

Army Men Advance
> Full speed at FS 1
> good sound

Summon Night (U) (btw I just fell in love with that game. ^__^)
> 50FPS at FS1
> sound is sometimes choppy at FS1, at FS2 it's great. Changing buffer to 1024b helps

----- Titles above that line added to the checklist -----

Bomberman Tournament
> 40-50FPS (FS2)
> standard sound problem....

Tony Hawk's Underground (UE)
> 24FPS (FS2)
> sound is horrible ingame

Tony Hawk's American Skateland (E)
> 20 (FS2)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
> 18 (FS2)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (UE)
> 20 (FS2)

Fire Emblem (U)
> Pretty much fullspeed (FS1)
> sound is good

Tactics Ogre - Knight of the Lodis (U)
> ~30FPS (FS1)
> sound is choppy

Super Dodgeball Advance
> Pretty much fullspeed (FS2)
> sound is good

Need for Speed Carbon - Own the City (U) (M5)
> barely playable - 18FPS (FS1)
> sound is horrible

Sword of Mana
> ~40FPS but I haven't got much into game...intro was sooo boring and I couldn't skip it...
> sound is bearable

That's all folks...for now :)

zodttd posted on Mar 11 2007 at 04:44 AM said:
Advance Wars 2 is working for me just fine. Try the US version. If you have a release number for the Advance Wars you have or can get the game_code and game_name from the GBA header, I can debug that version.
Does that mean, with our Euro-Roms we automaticly have slower playing/more bugs? Ok, US-Roms are more common and for example german roms are incredibly rare but it would be cool if every rom would work the same without optimizing everything per hand. :)

Oh, how fast can you compile now with your new machine compared to your old one? :)

Hmm the autoframeskipp really seems to work strangely... Super Mario Advance 4 for example runs much smoother at constant 60fps on autofr. 1 than on autofr. 4. Maybe it has to do with the "uniform" option?

Btw, in Super Mario Advance 4 there is sound but no music.

Well I just read through all the posts :) Donated and cant wait to see this is action for myself. Looks like Zod was awake for days lol. I thank the people doing videos as it gave me some idea as to how well this is going. Finaly a reason to get my GP2x out again ! Keep up the awsome work Zod :)

emumanx posted on Mar 11 2007 at 11:39 AM said:
Well I just read through all the posts :) Donated and cant wait to see this is action for myself. Looks like Zod was awake for days lol. I thank the people doing videos as it gave me some idea as to how well this is going. Finaly a reason to get my GP2x out again ! Keep up the awsome work Zod :)
Trust me, you wont regret donating.

I second that
My GP2X was just laying on my desk for a while but this emu gave it a second life...
I also hope to see a fast rendering with transparencies SNES emu....and maybe a perfect PCE emu, with that, it would be perfect

see you :lol:

^ you should really try the latest pocketSNES it is excellent with transparancies. Even DaveC has given it the seal of approval.

Back