Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

DisgruntleElf said:
Its clear that GPH has acted on the outcries of the LHGC(Left Handed Gaming Community). For years left handed Gamers have suffered and struggled, unable to achieve the high-scores of the right-handed players. Consistently losing life after life and why because the evil gaming corperation have ignored the needs of the left handed player. Thanks to GPH they will no longer be laughed at and ridiculed for low scores. The Wiz is 100% accessible to all players. Is Pandora Left-Handed accessible? I thought not. So I applaud GPH for remembering that left-handed handicapped players are people too. So beware right handed game players for your high score days are numbered.
I don't buy that argument and don't believe that was the reasoning behind the 2 dpads (to be honest I'm not sure what the reasoning was). I think joypads are fine whether you are left or right handed. Here's my reasoning, nowadays on a standard joypad you control movement with the left hand and the action buttons with the right hand but back in the 80's when we had single button joysticks the stick was controlled with your right hand and the button with your left. So which layout favours left handed players more?

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
[I think you're over-exaggerating. It's really not that hard for a left-handed person to use a regular controller.
Well, at least it shouldn't be, I'm right-handed and I've used PS2 controllers designed for left-handed people, I didn't think it was that difficult to use; actually, I almost preferred it.
It was a joke! I mean who really cares about the needs of left handed people. Or short people. Or short left handed people. JOKIIINNNG. maybe. :lol:

DisgruntleElf said:
PlopperZ said:
[I think you're over-exaggerating. It's really not that hard for a left-handed person to use a regular controller.
Well, at least it shouldn't be, I'm right-handed and I've used PS2 controllers designed for left-handed people, I didn't think it was that difficult to use; actually, I almost preferred it.
It was a joke! I mean who really cares about the needs of left handed people. Or short people. Or short left handed people. JOKIIINNNG. maybe. :lol:

Oh ok :p
You never know on this forum...

Try to use a bit more smileys :)

DisgruntleElf said:
Its clear that GPH has acted on the outcries of the LHGC(Left Handed Gaming Community). For years left handed Gamers have suffered and struggled, unable to achieve the high-scores of the right-handed players. Consistently losing life after life and why because the evil gaming corperation have ignored the needs of the left handed player. Thanks to GPH they will no longer be laughed at and ridiculed for low scores. The Wiz is 100% accessible to all players. Is Pandora Left-Handed accessible? I thought not. So I applaud GPH for remembering that left-handed handicapped players are people too. So beware right handed game players for your high score days are numbered.
Wow. **looks at Atari Lynx** Of course.. while remembering the left handed community, it didn't seem to be what some would consider a success. But hell, who cares, I'm even right handed but just can't resist a good pubic protest. Unite brothers and let the rioting begin.

You can get a 2.5mm->3.5mm headphone adaptor for £2 (if that).

You can get them in the form of either a couple of inches of cable with a connector on each end, or what looks like a fat 2.5mm plug with a socket molded into the end.

It looks pretty good, i didn't expect it to. still has idiotic double dpads though

Hi all, I have the GP32 and GP2X-F100 and I gotta say that having a smaller device that really is about twice as powerful really appeals to me and makes me think of how I can sell my GP2X to help justify the cost of getting the Wiz. Sure the button thing is a little whacky, but even if they don't change that I think it'll be fine for just about anything I do on it.

I am also very interested in the Pandora as a multifunction device to take to the coffee shop or on the road instead of a laptop, etc. Both serve different niches and both are very appealing to me. I can't wait for them to come out so we can see how they work and what apps we can run on them!

What is the touch screen like? I can't compare to a f200 since I never had one, but how about compared to a nokia 770? Enough to poke menus in a gold box game on amiga?

DisgruntleElf said:
craigix said:
Why did GPH do this is the bigger question, why try to reinvent the wheel like this, it's odd and you can see how it is effecting the sales from the reaction of the customers.

That anyone would even think, that you are not joking, is beyond belief. Smileys or no... :huh:

craigix said:
The problem is they are joined together, leading to accidental presses and if they are pivoted or not is still a bit vague.

Why did GPH do this is the bigger question, why try to reinvent the wheel like this, it's odd and you can see how it is effecting the sales from the reaction of the customers.

I have decided that if it is poor quality I will have a 4 button replacement kit made and will ship it to all GBAX customers for free.
Holy crap again.

I want one now!!!!

Firefox said:
You can get a 2.5mm->3.5mm headphone adaptor for £2 (if that).

You can get them in the form of either a couple of inches of cable with a connector on each end, or what looks like a fat 2.5mm plug with a socket molded into the end.
Ever used one? They're a bit volatile and susceptible to audio cut-out upon movement. Besides, a joint that big is that much more susceptible to having a wire be bent out of place/disconnected and creating audio problems.

At least seems that some headphones included in box of Wiz. I realy hope they works with Wiz :)

2.5mm headphones are not common but sold, also, the wiz is shipped with "wiz" branded 2.5 headphones... also, a lot of small mp3 players are equipped with 2.5 jacks too

ovce-porta.png

2,5 jack sucks.

Koss Porta Pro = 3,5 = industry standard :)

Anyway the dimensions and prize of Wiz are appealing to me, but I'm curious about Pandora too. Shame I'll not have enough money for both.

Mark1970 said:
Now with this new Wiz device on the horizon my heart leaped. Wow a new device. But immediately wondered about the build-quality. This thing with the two joypads that aren't really joypads but four buttons linked with a flexible rubbery thing makes be wonder about design decisions. The OLED screen makes me wonder too. Look both my gp32s still work and if I had a Wizz the same age as my gp32s its screen would probably have given out already.
Then there's the battery thing. It is a custom battery - it'll probably die out on you before the screen does. Production of it will probably have ceased before you get to order a replacement.
I guess the only reason Wiz gets any attention here is because GPH made it. If it was another one of those Chinese MP4 players we would laugh it off and no one would care. The Wiz is a disposeable unit with a very short lifespan due to the battery and screen. It seems kind of expensive for what you get as you can get a PSP for that price with a screen that is MUCH bigger. I think GPH screwed the pooch on this one. I think they will realize it and come out with an MK2 or just fold up shop.

DaveC said:
Mark1970 said:
Now with this new Wiz device on the horizon my heart leaped. Wow a new device. But immediately wondered about the build-quality. This thing with the two joypads that aren't really joypads but four buttons linked with a flexible rubbery thing makes be wonder about design decisions. The OLED screen makes me wonder too. Look both my gp32s still work and if I had a Wizz the same age as my gp32s its screen would probably have given out already.
Then there's the battery thing. It is a custom battery - it'll probably die out on you before the screen does. Production of it will probably have ceased before you get to order a replacement.
I guess the only reason Wiz gets any attention here is because GPH made it. If it was another one of those Chinese MP4 players we would laugh it off and no one would care. The Wiz is a disposeable unit with a very short lifespan due to the battery and screen. It seems kind of expensive for what you get as you can get a PSP for that price with a screen that is MUCH bigger. I think GPH screwed the pooch on this one. I think they will realize it and come out with an MK2 or just fold up shop.

Spoken like someone with Pandora money in their back pocket :)

Battery and screen will both outlast its usefulness, maybe if you used it 8hrs a day for 3 years it would die, besides the battery can be removed and replaced.

Its the open source that makes it what it is, like the GP2X and if chinese MP4 players offered this then your point maybe valid.

DynaMight said:
Spoken like someone with Pandora money in their back pocket :)

Thats pretty low, many of the Pandora guys are working on it for FREE. (edit: dang i never thought I would defend DaveC on something....i find it kind of funny)

I think DaveC has a point. This product does seem like be like all other other cheap video players. Although the soc i think is a little stronger than what would be used in a small pocket media player.

Back