Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Interesting, a definite contender for a replacement when my GP2X dies.

I'm not sure about the D-pad some games could be a problem. Pity about networking but having a clock is good.

I didn't notice any allegro games in the free game shots - wonder if there's a problem?

Those are just the games GPH wanted I guess. There is no reason why Allegro couldn't run on the Wiz.

stustaff said:
would be GREAT for say Doom etc using shoulder buttons as left and right mouse button and then the dpad and dpad/buttons for proper 3d control the left one for look and the right for movement Brilliant stuff.

Well sure, but why do you NEED a d-pad for movement controls? Four buttons in a diamond works just as well, and is far more flexible for other uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
This got me so excited I have to take a wiz...

Like some others im curious too if they actually contacted all of the authors of those programs. For example some of ruckage stuff is up there and as far as I know he hasnt ever released any source code.

The second dpad seems to throw a hicup in the entire design, hope that isnt the way it looks.
Im still on for Pandora, I think it the additional features justify the price.

Ok, this thing looks kinda ok, in a toyish retro kinda of way, but...
It's too small. The GP2X already felt cramped to play on. I have adult hands and this thing is going to hurt!
Small form factor also means a tiny screen. You're going to need glasses to use this as a media player or an ebook.
And Dual d-pads for gaming? *lol* I don't think so!

Not bad but I won't be buying either this or the Pandora simply because neither battery is user replaceable. The PSP now looks like my best option because you can carry a spare battery with you. Being able to carry a spare is paramount for me.

Orkie said:
Those are just the games GPH wanted I guess. There is no reason why Allegro couldn't run on the Wiz.
How could they not want Garden2X? :)

edit: Probably unplayable with the second D-pad

My theory is that the dpads are actually clusters of buttons with some flexible material between them - look carefully at the closeups, especially the one with the thumbs pressing the dpads.

Pickle said:
Like some others im curious too if they actually contacted all of the authors of those programs. For example some of ruckage stuff is up there and as far as I know he hasnt ever released any source code.
And like I said before, they *have* contacted people.

Looks good, and the price is even better! It could be lower, but now that I have a job, it's manageable. From what I'm hearing (reading), all the GP2x software needs to just be recompiled in order to play it on the Wiz; what does that even mean?

Firefox said:
My theory is that the dpads are actually clusters of buttons with some flexible material between them - look carefully at the closeups, especially the one with the thumbs pressing the dpads.
Well I trust Puck enough to believe that GPH has done it again :rolleyes:

Eolair said:
Firefox said:
Well I trust Puck enough to believe that GPH has done it again :rolleyes:

Oh bugger, I'd already said that in this thread... Sorry, I thought I'd said it in the locked one.

Anyway: Puck? Someone with some inside info...?

Puck is from the Spanish forums and the prototype he has of the Wiz has two d-pads. :huh:
Hope they didn't continue with that in the retail Wiz. :ph34r:

What i'd like to see in the future is a 5" touchscreen computer with very little border that looks like a larger Ipod Touch that can slip into an included usb dock at home for DVI output to 22"+ monitor, and all the basics, like plugging in a keyboard and mouse. Then when off to work, school, bathroom, or wherever you just take the 5" "Core" Ipod Touch PC with you and if you want to game on the go use the icontrolpad-like included module.
Someday. ;)

Pickle said:
For example some of ruckage stuff is up there and as far as I know he hasnt ever released any source code.
Those games are written in Fenix so no source code needed :p

Uukrul said:
Pickle said:
For example some of ruckage stuff is up there and as far as I know he hasnt ever released any source code.
Those games are written in Fenix so no source code needed :p

Maybe you meant to say it only the fenix runtime needs to be recompilied?

Firefox said:
Yeah, the Wiz site has a pretty good closeup, and it does look like there is a difference between the dpad and the buttons.

I WAS really excited about this...more cpu power and decent 3D, built in battery, nice form factor and OLED touch screen. I figured with the power behind it PSX emulation would've been very possible on the platform, along with fullspeed emulation of all the stuff that lagged a tad on the GP2X. It's also pretty cool that they would be releasing games every month. It would've been a nice holdover while saving up more money for Pandora...

...and then I saw the price point. $180? That is QUITE a bit for a platform that isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the GP2X, and still without wifi (but I suppose that was never the point). Of course, that price point might not be official in the least...gp2xstore.com may have just put that price up for now as a guess, as many retailers might do.

Update: Errr, never mind. That $180 price point seems pretty solid...Play-Asia, Dynamism and GP2XStore all have that price listed...dang. That seems pretty damn high.

Back