Gpfrontier - Elite 2: Frontier Ported To Gp2x

THANK YOU!! :D

It's on my SD card now, looking forward to take off B)

Thank you again, and please keep up good work.

slaanesh said:
JoJo_ReloadeD said:
Hi I'm aware of the F200 joystick click issue.

I'll release an update to this soon. Other things like music & speed improvement will take more time, but I'll try to improve it as much as I can ;)
Sounds great.

I'm interested in some of the technical details.
Are you using Cyclone on this? I have to assume you are as the speed is great so far!
Do you let the 68K just run as fast as it can or is it set to a certain speed?

It isn't emulated, it has been disassembled and rewritten in C, there was another post in this thread with the link.

http://www.tomatarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glfrontier.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Vilmos said:
slaanesh said:
JoJo_ReloadeD said:
Hi I'm aware of the F200 joystick click issue.

I'll release an update to this soon. Other things like music & speed improvement will take more time, but I'll try to improve it as much as I can ;)
Sounds great.

I'm interested in some of the technical details.
Are you using Cyclone on this? I have to assume you are as the speed is great so far!
Do you let the 68K just run as fast as it can or is it set to a certain speed?

It isn't emulated, it has been disassembled and rewritten in C, there was another post in this thread with the link.

http://www.tomatarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glfrontier.html

Crikey! Surely not re-written in C by hand?

Can the 2nd CPU assist with this seeing as it's using OpenGL? Wasn't there a mini-OpenGL for the 940?

Great success!

There was GPU940, which I believe doesn't use full OpenGL extensions but certainly has some of them (hence Egoboo being ported using it).

Played for a few hours now and am over the joystick/mouse coupling.
Using diagonals makes the game really playable...

Will keep testing

I have been playing this port for hours and hours and am very pleased with the results...

Problems :

Two times up till now the controls seemed to die on me. No more left right up down in spacemaps just stuck. Saving and restarting solved the problem. haven´t had this problem during the last hours so maybe it was just me !?

spacecombat is hard. Aiming and firing is almost impossible, I try the pause trick to click on the target to put it in the autopilot... But pausing the game quickly is almost impossible because you have to steer the "mouse" to the pause button. Most af the time the target is already off screen then... Any tricks are welcome. I do not remember how it used to be... Maybe spacecombat was always hard...

Autopilot crashing into planets, I seem to remember this was also a problem on my amiga.

I am getting used to using the diagonals. It works !

Thank you, will keep testing

TomVS said:
Autopilot crashing into planets, I seem to remember this was also a problem on my amiga.
The autopilot was buggy as hell. This was my trick for landing correctly every time:

- Use the solar system viewer to select the spaceport you want to land at as soon as you decide to travel somewhere.
- Enable autopilot until you're pointing in the correct direction.
- Switch off autopilot and enable manual control.
- Hold down the accelerate button to set the speed to something absurdly large.
- Increase the time speedup to maximum.
- Keep the target planet/spacestation in the green targeting square as you accelerate towards it.
- When the green squares start flickering fairly rapidly and you're very close to the planet, switch the autopilot back on.

Your ship will decelerate instantly and land with no problems. This is a great trick for getting to assassination missions on time in the Alpha Centauri system. If you're late on switching back to autopilot, though, you'll slingshot around the planet and have to do the whole thing again.

Worked every time for me on the Amiga; not sure if the same bug is in the ST version. The other useful bug exploits are:

Infinite Cargo Space

- Buy 1 tonne of rubbish.
- Fly somewhere out of the way.
- Switch to the cargo view.
- Click just below the rubbish eject button.

The rubbish won't get ejected, but you'll gain 1 tonne of cargo space. Works best on ships with auto-repair systems as it damages the hull.

Wormhole Hyperspace Jump

- View the galactic map.
- Scroll roughly 640 parsecs (not sure of the unit here) away from your current location.

The variable used to calculate how far you can jump overflows and resets back to 0, so you can make gigantic hyperspace jumps with even the most basic drives.

Ok, I put the new Ur-Quan port down for a bit, and read this thread.

BAD ant! BAD BAD ant! BAD BAD BAD ant!

Anyways, I guess them hints are known by most fans of this game :)

A tip for new players that isnt really cheating : save before you hyperspace, every time while you have crapola guns, you WILL need turrets on the GP2x, and if you get blasted, and reload right away, chances are you wont encounter the enemy again after hyperspace. ;)

Great work!

Is this port no case for GPU940 ?? :blink:
particularly with regard to the original port (GLFrontier Project)

Im new to this game and it looks really awesome. Just cant seem to get over the control problems. Is a new version going to fix it?

Wow- This looks the shiz-nit. One of the first things i tried on the amiga emulator but this in great- I just hope i dont get nicked for dealing 200 tons of narcotics like i did all the time on my amiga! Battle weapons anyone?

The trick for narcotics is to save before you approach the space stations.

Then save again once you're ON the space station before you try and contact Crazy Joe's or whoever, because whenever there are two dealers, one of them is the police!

As I recall at any rate... it's been a while since I played FFE (and I assume FE2 is similar).

Back