Gpfce V0.1 Released

I am getting the weird sound issues here too. I also noticed that when I try to turn the volume down, it is either really quiet, or really loud, and this happens when I just tap the volume controls one way or the other.

You know what would be really cool, is when the player presses the volume controls, is to show a volume meter on the screen, that slides back and forth to show what the current GP2x volume is at currently.

An even better idea is that if the volume is at zero, the volume meter should show "MUTE" on it, and the emulator can get a performance boost, because the sound engine is not running!

Anyway, splended job! This is the best NES emulator on the Gp2x by a longshot!

Ok I think I have figured out the best way to set up the controls and it combined both our control schemes.

B and A = A
Y and X = B

Its perfect, you have the best of both worlds with only one setup!

Howdy,

I'm trying to make this work. Is there anything else required?

I have the SDL's loaded. I have my roms in the correct directory(per the readme file). But everytime I run the emulator. I just get a blank screen and it locks up the unit so you have to shut it off and then on again.

Obviously others got this to work. Could you please give me any advice to what I maybe doing wrong. All my other emu's work just fine. I'm just having prob's with this one.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Blades

Are you on firmware 2.0?

You really shouldn't have to do anything, just copy in the whole contents of the zip and run the gpe.

Yep,

I'm on the latest firmware 2.0. I just bought the thing about 2 weeks ago. The Sega,c64,snes etc... emulators run just fine. But for some reason it keeps going black and locking up. Is there a ROM limit that you can have in the /roms/nes directory that this emulator does'nt like? I have 600 roms in that directory. Thank you for responding, any other suggestions?

Blades

Blades posted on May 24 2006 at 05:43 PM said:
Yep,

I'm on the latest firmware 2.0. I just bought the thing about 2 weeks ago. The Sega,c64,snes etc... emulators run just fine. But for some reason it keeps going black and locking up. Is there a ROM limit that you can have in the /roms/nes directory that this emulator does'nt like? I have 600 roms in that directory. Thank you for responding, any other suggestions?

Blades

Unfortunately I can't offer many suggestions because it always worked so easily for me. Dropping that number of roms below 512 or 256 may be a good thing to try though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blades posted on May 24 2006 at 05:43 PM said:
Yep,

Blades
Do you have the selector.gpe file in the same directory as the Gpfce binary? It doesn't come with it; you have to download it additionally.

DaveC posted on May 24 2006 at 12:56 AM said:
I have noticed that when playing the emu that it saves automatically in a log file everything you do. BAD idea. That file will just get bigger and bigger eating more and more space. Plus constant writing to the card will wear it out (limited writes you know).

I wish people would stop spreading panic about this; your SD cards will work until there is no hardware around that still supports them. Or much much longer. Do you know a single person who's ever had a flash device wear out?

Not me, flash memory wont wear out anytime soon. Thats like worrying about your hard drive wearing out, or a CD-RW (much less limited writes) and Ive never experienced either of them wear out due to writes. Im actually getting sick of these people who wont flash their units to newer firmwares also. I flash mine with low batteries using unconfirmed SD cards all the time (ive got about 11 small sized ones avaliable) and never have any problems.

PSyMastR posted on May 24 2006 at 07:00 PM said:
Im actually getting sick of these people who wont flash their units to newer firmwares also. I flash mine with low batteries using unconfirmed SD cards all the time (ive got about 11 small sized ones avaliable) and never have any problems.

hahaha, same here.

Epicenter posted on May 24 2006 at 10:53 PM said:
I have noticed that when playing the emu that it saves automatically in a log file everything you do. BAD idea. That file will just get bigger and bigger eating more and more space. Plus constant writing to the card will wear it out (limited writes you know).

I wish people would stop spreading panic about this; your SD cards will work until there is no hardware around that still supports them. Or much much longer. Do you know a single person who's ever had a flash device wear out?

Go back and read the post again. Limited writes are only one concern, the possibility of corruption exists due to power outages, batteries, or just plain software bugs.

DaveC posted on May 25 2006 at 07:37 AM said:
Go back and read the post again. Limited writes are only one concern, the possibility of corruption exists due to power outages, batteries, or just plain software bugs.

Uhh, I'm fairly sure the author has a reason why he has enabled log output in a BETA 0.1 version release.

Shikaku posted on May 24 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
Hey, just a suggestion if you have not done so already: try just making the sound mono. That might fix it, and maybe a speedup since it isn't doing 2 channels?

I'm actually currently trying exactly this.
The really odd thing is when I put the gp2x into mono mode, there's still a discrepancy in the volume of the output on left and right speakers. Any developers run across this issue?

zzhu8192 posted on May 25 2006 at 11:16 AM said:
Shikaku posted on May 24 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
Hey, just a suggestion if you have not done so already: try just making the sound mono. That might fix it, and maybe a speedup since it isn't doing 2 channels?

I'm actually currently trying exactly this.
The really odd thing is when I put the gp2x into mono mode, there's still a discrepancy in the volume of the output on left and right speakers. Any developers run across this issue?

glad to see that you fixed this bug (dev forum) but it wasn't stopping me from enjoying it at all.

quick oddball feature request: what about stereo sound, with two of the oscillators on one speaker and two on the other? might sound cool.

anyway, great work. i'd been hoping for nes + save states for a long time.

DaveC posted on May 24 2006 at 11:37 PM said:

I said nothing of those points because I did not disagree with them.

Back