Gpfce V0.2 Released

zzhu8192

Still Fresh
Website
www.unicorn-jockey.com
Hello again,

I've finished up the second release of GPFCE, now at v0.2.
In this release, I tried to address some of the more serious issues with v0.1,
of which sound seemed to be at the top of the list. While compability hasn't changed
and performance probably only slightly, quite a few usability features were added.
[CUT]
Highlights:

- Sound output issue with stereo fixed, now using
22050 khz 16-bit mono. I've tried interpolating to
44khz mono, but the results seemed similar.
- selector supports up to 2048 files, sorted, with
alpha scrolling via left/right in addition to
page up/down via L/R.
- additional startup scripts to select button and fps
configurations
- can load FDS files, but does not seem to work yet
- configurable buttons (use swapbuttons version )
- configurable fps (use showfps version)
- Configurable turbo fire control
- Selectable save slots from 0-9
- Volume bar

You can Get it from my web site

at: http://www.unicorn-jockey.com

or from gp2x.de,
at: url=http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,5,1529
once I figure out how to update files on there.
Someone uploaded it for me as a zip file. Thanks. I updated my website to be
the same zip file as well, for people having trouble with tar.bz2.

Thanks again for the suggestions and support of many from this forum.
Thanks to Lil-Kun for re-designing www.unicorn-jockey.com once again. Looks
pretty neat. :D

Zheng[/CUT]

Excellent. U are a very very fast worker. Thanks a lot. One thing though is anything going to change about the streching. There was something that u said last release that you said u didn't like about it.

Jarska333 posted on May 28 2006 at 07:56 AM said:
GeminiDomino posted on May 28 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
The .ZIP on your website appears to be corrupted.

Worked fine for me. :)

Odd. I had to get it from the archive here.

Nice work. All I can suggest is to default to turbo being off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet thanks so much. I am heading to the lakes this weekend so this will for sure brings loads of fun.

Only proplem I really see now is getting it full speed. Play 5fps slower then what the game is supposed to is not too bad it is just the sound gets very sharp and garbaly when that happens.

Keep up the great work, you are so close to having a perfect NES emulator, all it needs is a few speed ups and screen clipping would not be bad either on the left and right. You will notice when you play mario bros 3 on the left is a blue line and on the right gets funky (green stuff) when you run to the right.

Again this emulator is great. Maybe you should give it a name, or is that weird because it is a port?

Does the gamegenie function work? I'm trying to script -gg to commandline, and chances are, I'm doing something wrong, as I only get a black screen trying to run gg...
I have a gg.nes rom in roms/nes/fceultra, which I can load normally, and edit the code lines...

My script looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/fce/
./gpfce.gpe -gg
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
Don't laugh, advice. :(

Otherwise, works splendidly. :)

Jarska333 posted on May 28 2006 at 11:00 AM said:
Does the gamegenie function work? I'm trying to script -gg to commandline, and chances are, I'm doing something wrong, as I only get a black screen trying to run gg...
I have a gg.nes rom in roms/nes/fceultra, which I can load normally, and edit the code lines...

My script looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/fce/
./gpfce.gpe -gg
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
Don't laugh, advice. :(

Otherwise, works splendidly. :)

You have go add -gg to the gpfce_config file, not the gpfce.gpe. That does nothing.
i.e. cmdLine=./gpfce -gg

Cool thanks. The sound panning seems less but it does it a little still. Also the sound can get stuttery sometimes. Much improved though, Thanks.

wipeout2000 posted on May 28 2006 at 05:13 AM said:
Excellent. U are a very very fast worker. Thanks a lot. One thing though is anything going to change about the streching. There was something that u said last release that you said u didn't like about it.

I'm getting used to the stretching :D Seriously though, I'm not sure at this point what can be done actually. Only with some serious clipping can the aspect ratio get better.

I wanted to fix the major issues noted by users in version 0.1 in a timely manner. Plus I had a bit of free time because of this weekend.

zzhu8192 posted on May 28 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
wipeout2000 posted on May 28 2006 at 05:13 AM said:

I'm getting used to the stretching :D Seriously though, I'm not sure at this point what can be done actually. Only with some serious clipping can the aspect ratio get better.

I wanted to fix the major issues noted by users in version 0.1 in a timely manner. Plus I had a bit of free time because of this weekend.

Fractional stretching on an LCD will always look like crap. The NES image is close to filling the screen anyway so no big deal to use 1:1. Filtering could be added to hide the blocky uneven pixel stretching but then the emu would be very slow. I think the sound stuttering issues are more important, at least to me.

Is it just me or is the volume a lot more quiet now? Maybe a result of fixing the panning issue?

Tootai posted on May 28 2006 at 02:51 PM said:
Is it just me or is the volume a lot more quiet now? Maybe a result of fixing the panning issue?
It seems that way. If the volume could be boosted a good bit, it would be great.

Game Genie works!!! We'll have another run at Legacy of the Wizard now!

Thanks so much for this amazing emu :)

iignotus posted on May 28 2006 at 02:00 PM said:
It seems that way. If the volume could be boosted a good bit, it would be great.

Try turning off the volume limiter on your gp2x. I find that it's a bit screwy when turned on.
With it off and at max volume, it's quite loud I think.

zzhu8192 posted on May 28 2006 at 03:50 PM said:
iignotus posted on May 28 2006 at 02:00 PM said:

Try turning off the volume limiter on your gp2x. I find that it's a bit screwy when turned on.
With it off and at max volume, it's quite loud I think.
I figured someone would mention that, and my limit has been off since I updated ;) The volume out of this emu is not as loud as it could be.

Back