Gpfce V0.1 Released

zzhu8192

Still Fresh
Website
www.unicorn-jockey.com
Hi,

I've just uploaded version 0.1 of GPFCE, a port of FCE Ultra for the gp2x.

Some highlights include:
-------------------------------
- 60 FPS without frame skipping on many games
- .zip file support
- 22050 Hz Sound support with vol support
- Load/Save state (one slow only)
- Hardware stretch (See controls)
- Soft Reset
- Savegame support

You can Get it at: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1529
Thanks for the assistance and support of many from this forum. :lol:

Zheng

zzhu8192 posted on May 23 2006 at 01:47 AM said:
Hi,

I've just uploaded version 0.1 of GPFCE, a port of FCE Ultra for the gp2x.

Some highlights include:
-------------------------------
- 60 FPS without frame skipping on many games
- .zip file support
- 22050 Hz Sound support with vol support
- Load/Save state (one slow only)
- Hardware stretch (See controls)
- Soft Reset
- Savegame support

You can Get it at: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1529
Thanks for the assistance and support of many from this forum. :lol:

Zheng

Savestates and SRAM support from the get-go? Excellent!
Consistant high FPS? Check.
Supports Gauntlet II, Wizards and Warriors, and Castlevania III? Check.

Very nice. You and FishyNES are now Top-rung NES emulators!

Any intentions of adding a menu/UI and more than one Save state?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know FCEUltra supports Famicom Disk System images, and requires that BIOS image known as disksys.rom be present.

Where does GPFCE suppose to find it, however? I tried to place it alongside with the gpfce executable, but as the log said it cannot find the BIOS image.

Or, it is not working nor enabled yet? :huh:
Will it be enabled in future versions? I suppose it's with GUI as there must be some way to "flip the disk"...

Thanks in advance, and well done B)

EDIT: Ooops again... I should think more before I post...

Well done zzhu8192. This emu is really nice for a first release.
I still have some graphical glitches in some menus (words disapearing; ie: adventures of bayou billy).
But it's fast and I played many games without problem.
Castlevania3 is running well :)

Thank you !

i find it great that they manage to make a newspost without mentioning what it emulates ^^

or are we all supposed to know what fce ultra emulates?

Excellent work, SMB 3 runs at ~55fps (200 MHz, FS0). EU/PAL-games run too fast, however (they run at 55-60fps, should be limited to 50). However, I noticed some wierd sound issues -- it seems to pend between mono and stereo (is mono by default, switches to stereo for a few seconds, then back to mono. This keeps occuring at random intervals). I use firmware 2.0 for the record.

Just tried it, and I'm suitably impressed! I tested Earthbound and Zelda 1 for now.
EB ran a tiny bit choppy, but Zelda ran practically flawlessly... not a bad first release at all! Well done.

It doesn't suffer from not having a GUI, in my opinion either.

Wow, didn't see this coming, but just tried and for a first release it is EXCELLENT. Good speed, good compatibility, and selector works just fine for rom browsing.

One quick question though--any chance of tvout support? It's not mentioned on the webpage for future plans, but it's a feature I would really like to see!! I tried it on my ntsc set and the picture comes through, but only uses the left half of the screen.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into some of these issues for v.2.

I've definitely been struggling a bit with sound, so hopefully there should be some improvement in that area.
BTW, has anyone else run into the stereo/mono switching issue?

If you know of games that don't work, let me know. I'll see if I can get to it.

PAL support wasn't tested at all. I have a good idea why it's running too fast though. I'll see if I can rectify that, although i'd have to find some PAL region games to test it...

I'm thinking of adding game genie support and turbo fire on the next release as well.

zzhu8192 posted on May 23 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into some of these issues for v.2.

I've definitely been struggling a bit with sound, so hopefully there should be some improvement in that area.
BTW, has anyone else run into the stereo/mono switching issue?

I'm running into the Mono/Stereo switching as well.

Firmware on my machine is Open 2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still version 0.1 and already really impressive + a lot of extras, and soon even gamegenie support? Very impressive. :D

Yeah, I just tried this and it's an impressive first release. At or near 60fps at all times without overclocking. It's very nice. I did notice the stereo/mono bug, but it's not a showstopper, especially not for a first release. There was also some graphical glitches in Elite (which apparently every emu has trouble with) and Mig 29: Soviet Fighter (which I don't think was a licensed game so it may abuse the hardware in weird ways). All in all a very solid emu. :)

Great stuff, I've been waiting for a NES emu like this! Once you get the menu running, fix the PAL speed issues and the sound, this is damn near perfect!

Of the games I've tested, Monopoly impressed me the most ... it plays the sound samples correctly :D

Thanks so much, amazing work!

Great job! We really needed an alternative to fishyNES. No offense to fishybawbs, but having to OC for fullspeed NES wasn't fun.

Only complaint is that the sound sounds scratchy at times... don't know what causes this.

Back