GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Is that paint? Too shiny, make sure to give that bad boy lots of pocket time when not in use to tone it down a bit.
[doublepost=1477626981,1477626802][/doublepost]...I meant "to test how comfortable it is for carrying around in a pocket all the time". Since you keep calling it a review unit I am guessing they want it back undamaged.

It's pretty nice, and the inclusion of a screen protector is great, trough I'd have prefered to have it factory installed... there's always at least one random speck of dust under mine when done by myself... guess the win will not make exception there :D

So they used the same anthracite color as in the GPD Q9, wise decision, too bad they won't sell us a bucket of it for Pyras.
I still wonder why they didn't keep the rather good d-pad disc though.

It's pretty nice, and the inclusion of a screen protector is great, trough I'd have prefered to have it factory installed... there's always at least one random speck of dust under mine when done by myself... guess the win will not make exception there :D

Susposed to be Corning gorilla glass 3. You should be able to get away with no screen protection. Paired with the clamshell design you are probably safe as long as you don't store sandpaper in the middle when not in use.

The XD had a pretty resilient screen as well, mine has never seen a screen protector and it's still like the day I got it.

https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-med...d/c_limit,w_620/v1472007042/823_21_arykb5.jpg

Last edited:
Where would you buy this thing? I mean, GeekBuying says it's cheaper and free shipping, but I never shopped from there. I shopped from DragonBox before and as you know, ED is the best when it comes to customer support ^^

So I did a quick look video of the GPD WIN. Just gives a quick overview of the ports etc. Although I did forget to mention that it does have a microphone at the front, capacitive screen and motion sensors

Last edited:
So in mouse mode the dpad acts as WASD, which is pretty good. I found this out playing the game "The Suffering" which uses WASD to move and mouse to look. With the WIN in mouse mode you can use the dpad for WASD and the right stick for the mouse to play the game

@erico Hmmm?

@hipnotoad At some stage I'll do some tests. But with my brief experience with it. The battery life will vary drastically depending on what you do. Watching videos, web surfing, or playing low level games. It will last a very long time. If you push it to the limit with all CPU, GPU and fan maxed out , it will last around 2-3 hours .

Mine finally arrived from ED, but sadly there is a slight bump on the bottom part. If i put it on a flat surface only 3/4 feet touch the surface and it tilts back and forth while writing. Like a chair with one too small leg. Do you think i should open it and look for maybe a misplaced battery or send it back to Ed?

I think MOST if not all of the units have such an issue. I've opened a few ones, and none of it was very good, regarding quality :(

72792170.jpg

So in mouse mode the dpad acts as WASD, which is pretty good. I found this out playing the game "The Suffering" which uses WASD to move and mouse to look. With the WIN in mouse mode you can use the dpad for WASD and the right stick for the mouse to play the game

What do the face buttons, shoulder buttons and left stick do, in mouse mode? The IndieGoGo campaign seemed to imply that most input would be disabled in mouse mode, other than the right stick and the keyboard.

Also, have you used the GPD in mouse mode while running a text editor (e.g. Notepad)? That is, have you seen the WASD characters being typed in, or is it perhaps, instead, the arrow key signals?

My unit seems nothing but quality. It's a very well put together device IMO.

@Haraldur

The left stick acts as the mouse wheel, the shoulder buttons are left and right mouse buttons. dpad -> WASD. Right stick -> mouse. That's as far as Ive tested

Last edited:
@vcoleiro1 if you could determine that the face buttons have some function while in mouse mode, that would be helpful. It would mean that I could honestly remove the "Simultaneous use of mouse and all other controls" row from the comparison chart: https://www.pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Comparison_Chart

Oh, and does the GPD WIN's DPAD act as arrow keys when NOT in mouse mode?

I'll have a look later re face buttons. I doubt the dpad acts as cursor seeing since it has dedicated cursor keys.

Mind you this is is all fluid. As you can see, GPD have already made a number of changes since the Indiegogo page re mouse mode. I know a lot of people want mouse mode to be user definable, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that in the end. I think I may of heard GPD talk about that in the past. But we will see.

My unit seems nothing but quality. It's a very well put together device IMO.
Since they sent you one to review and speak on things such as the quality, I am not surprised. It is possible that ED was very unlucky with his shipment, but it is more likely that those units resemble the average ones going out to customers more than yours does.
[doublepost=1477961419,1477961239][/doublepost]On second thought, didn't ED say that he was doing repairs on flawed stuff they were sending him? Someone mentioned that they may have been sending him all the units with problems, and the quality issues in his shipment might be evidence of that. I still think they sent the better quality units to reviewers, though.

Since they sent you one to review and speak on things such as the quality, I am not surprised. It is possible that ED was very unlucky with his shipment, but it is more likely that those units resemble the average ones going out to customers more than yours does.
[doublepost=1477961419,1477961239][/doublepost]On second thought, didn't ED say that he was doing repairs on flawed stuff they were sending him? Someone mentioned that they may have been sending him all the units with problems, and the quality issues in his shipment might be evidence of that. I still think they sent the better quality units to reviewers, though.

The prototype I had certainly was of better quality.
And I've heard from different customers (not just mine) that the build quality is not the best. Squeaky DPad, loose shoulder buttons, scratches... one has something rattling inside the display lid.

I did expect that, as that's the normal build quality for a device for that price. High-quality devices with the same functions cost double as much - guess why.

Back