GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

It will be six at the bottom, but it's still a lot less :D

Should we re-open the screw debate thread and re-hash the advantages of Torx and Allen over Phillips?

Nevermind - I can address that as a user installed option if/when I ever need/want to disassemble the case.

It's probably a bigger issue that the screws dig right into plastic, no fancy metal inserts for the pyra :p
That actually happened to my Pandora. One of the screws went right through the plastic and came out underneath the backspace button.

To get the back cover off the GPD WIN and access the battery, you only need to take off 6 screws.

d23f34061d950a7b59dabc3a02d162d9f3d3c91d.jpg

That actually happened to my Pandora. One of the screws went right through the plastic and came out underneath the backspace button.

Using the original screws? Wow, just shows how much torque a metal screw into plastic can generate without stripping the threads.

The Pyra's polycarbonate case will be much harder to deform like that, but it remains to be seen whether it'll strip the threads or punch a hole, or just strip the heads. If they're aluminium screws I'd bet it'd be the philips heads that pop first.

I see advantages using Philips over Torx & Co., Philips heads can slip out of the screw when to much torque is used, Torx,Hex key etc stay in the screw and can damage the screw hole or wear it out,especialy in "naked" plastic holes.

Woah, 78 pages, there is no chance I am going to read all of that to find out the answer to this: I ordered a GPD WIN from DragonBox, is there a ETA of when the units will be available for final purchase and shipment (when I ordered I was given a voucher that means when they are in stock I can make the final purchase)? It sounds like possibly mid-October? But I thought I'd ask to get a better answer :)

I'll let you know when my indigogo one arrives as they're supposed to go out before the retail ones. With the problems I've had with packages in the past I wouldn't be surprised if you got yours first.
As for an ETA ED would know better than I.

According to GPH, all units are currently in production and shipping should start middle to end of October. So you can expect them end of October / early November.

Heres a video by Phawx showing it run the new Doom, he says he has already gained an extra 5-6 fps by altering some settings as well.If you check his other videos he shows how easy it is to type on.

The Doom video is pretty impressive, but the keys disposition is really wrong

Oh wow, the way he has to use that keyboard looks really exceptionally awkward. I was pondering ordering a GPD Win so I have a new pocket computer in time for this years Chaos Communication Congress, but I think I'll just stick with the Pandora again. Ach, if it just had a slightly better screen resolution, I wouldn't even have to look for something else... :(

Here is the Keyboard Video:
Using the same Test, I get 31 WPM as Adjusted Speed on the Pandora.
@EvilDragon Could you make an Comparison Video between OpenPandora, Pyra and the GPD Win once Pyra's Keymat is Finished?
Also in the Dark? :p

Here are adjusted speed results:

Pandora (in the dark): 43 WPM
GPD Win (looking at the keyboard): 19 WPM
GPD Win (in the dark): 7 WPM

I didn't have the Pyra here and we also don't have the final keymat yet, but I expect it to be similar to Pandoras one, especially since I haven't typed for a few weeks on my Pandora and I also made some mistakes because I am a bit used to Pyras keymat as well (i.e. I often press P when I want to do backspace ;))

So yeah... as I mentioned a couple of times: The keyboard is not good. Especially not in the dark, as you ALWAYS hit the wrong keys (as the keyboard is not aligned in the middle).

Oh wow, the way he has to use that keyboard looks really exceptionally awkward. I was pondering ordering a GPD Win so I have a new pocket computer in time for this years Chaos Communication Congress, but I think I'll just stick with the Pandora again. Ach, if it just had a slightly better screen resolution, I wouldn't even have to look for something else... :(

Yes, don't get the GPD Win if you want to type on it a lot.
It's a nice device, certainly cool seeing it run normal Windows games, but for typing, it's just horrible. It's okay to type city names when playing Civilization, but that's about it...

This is the latest GPD WIN Indiegogo update:

Basically, shipping to Indiegogo backers will start on the 20th - ie 3 days time. They say they can ship 100-200 a day

"
The Delivery Schedule of GPD WIN

Dear Backers.

Sorry for the late update of the shipping schedule. The first batch of the second mass production of GPD WIN will be finished October 20.And we will start delivery to Indiegogo backers from October 20.As the international logistics is a little complex.we hope can finish 100-200 orders each day. So please be patient,we will delivery for you as soon as possible.

The final processor of GPD WIN is Z8700 ,Not matter the pro-order unit and final unit. Because Z8700 is more stable than Z8750. We are trying to get touch with Intel to solve this problem. But it may need a period of time.So in order to avoid too much international repair and a long time delay. We final decided to changed it into Z8700. Really hope you can understand.

And please check your shipping address and confirm it again. If your need to do any update about your shipping address,please DON'T change it by yourself in your indiegogo page,it's no function. Because we already export all of shipping address. So any update of your shipping address.please contact me: sales09@softwincn.com ."

Back