GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Don't get me wrong, GPDwin is pretty good too, but controls on the Pandora(beside the nubs...) are top notch, only the shoulder buttons are slightly worst, but the gpd win is even worst when it comes to shoulder buttons. Battery is ok, but Pandora gets twice as long on a charge. Then you get the glossy screen vs mate of the Pandora... And if you don't plan to only do retro emulation, the GPDwin is a better choice.

Eh, I like the Win's shoulders better than Pandora. They're wobbly, sure, but they're responsive and they are easier to press than the Pandora's. They also feel better.

Eh, I like the Win's shoulders better than Pandora. They're wobbly, sure, but they're responsive and they are easier to press than the Pandora's. They also feel better.

Shame they won't work together with DPAD in mouse mode, and many games don't like the other two.

I like the GPD Win, but the problems I've had charging it are getting worse. In fact, as of a few days ago, I can't get it to recharge at all. (The device IS on when I try to charge it.) I've tried the charger it came with along with multiple USB 3.0 cables in multiple wall sockets and it won't charge anymore. Once the current charge runs out, it's a brick unless I figure out what's happening. Could a Windows 10 "update" be causing this?

I like the GPD Win, but the problems I've had charging it are getting worse. In fact, as of a few days ago, I can't get it to recharge at all. (The device IS on when I try to charge it.) I've tried the charger it came with along with multiple USB 3.0 cables in multiple wall sockets and it won't charge anymore. Once the current charge runs out, it's a brick unless I figure out what's happening. Could a Windows 10 "update" be causing this?

Unlikely. I'd check the USB C plug for damage.

Since everyone seems to have a different set of problems with this device, I wish there was a GPD Win exchange. I for one wouldn't mind trading my unit (which charges like it should) for a unit which doesn't restart spontaneously twice a day.

If a update is causing this, charging it when off shouldn't be affected. I've seen people saying that a windows update might have made the battery indicator unreliable, but charging itself wasn't affected.

Sometimes Windows Update turns itself back on, but when I search online a permanent way to turn off I find the same services.msc solution with a comment "It may come back on eventually but we recommend updating because *excuses*"

what a bunch of bullfuck, every update for this thing seems to break something. The reddit is flooded with problems after updating.

Sometimes Windows Update turns itself back on, but when I search online a permanent way to turn off I find the same services.msc solution with a comment "It may come back on eventually but we recommend updating because *excuses*"

what a bunch of bullfuck, every update for this thing seems to break something. The reddit is flooded with problems after updating.

On my Win (8700 first batch model) it more or less "changes" with every update.
One thing breaks i.e. the Win does not shutdown anymore, but halts after shutdown and I have to turn it off. But in exchange (not MS Exchange :)) another thing works suddenly, like not crashing on longer idle times.

But to be fair: that is not MS fault, that is just very bad hardware support by GPD.
The new update/upgrade policy of MS sucks for sure but is not responible for all the faults and quirks of the Win.

Because of all these quirks and the very bad keyboard (finally a keyboard reference to discuss, yeeeehaaaaaw) the Win is just a gaming console or steamboy for me with the possibility to work on a bit if there is an emergency.
It's just too unreliable.
Hopefully, the Pyra will arrive soon to fill that gap.

On my 8500 quite old batch win, everything works great... I've used o&osu10 to block updates, I'd prefer to have security updates, but it seems updates just break too many things to worth it..

Because of all these quirks and the very bad keyboard (finally a keyboard reference to discuss, yeeeehaaaaaw) the Win is just a gaming console or steamboy for me with the possibility to work on a bit if there is an emergency.
It's just too unreliable.
Hopefully, the Pyra will arrive soon to fill that gap.

Yeah that was my concern. I was definitely interested in one but the leap from standard android/windows handheld to even something like the Pandora is huge. You can tell the Pandora, even with all its many fit-and-finish problems is LIGHT YEARS ahead of more powerful contemporary devices, simply because it was designed thoughtfully and with a lot of user direction.

That's true, but you don't have much alternatives as a steamboy... Which makes it great and hard to replace...

very early prototypes had an 8500 but they switched to the 8700 even before they came up with a fan.
The 8750's GPU performance is slightly lower than the 8700's due to a minor fix in the graphics pipeline, as far as I heard.
the difference we're talking about is around 2-3 fps or so, not something you would notice without benchmarking.
CPU performance, as for boost performance, is better on the 8750, which is good for emulators or CPU limited games.
Also some of the newer models with the aluminium shell might use a different fan with up to 13000 RPM.
Therefore, they are louder and operate a bit weird (at least with my unit), change speed when the device is being tilted.

I decided to buy me a Gpd Win to shorten the Waiting Time on the Pyra, also to play some of my PC Games on the Go,
I want to put it in my Pocket until I get my Pyra,
I also want to use it even i have the Pyra,
As it's a easy way to take your Windows Games whit you :)

I ordered yesterday evening via DragonBox, I hope EvilDragon will find some time to put it in a karton on the way to me bevor gamescom

I prepared some Images today as the Win ditnt have CD Drive

Do somewhone know if these Games run??
- 18 Wheels of Steel Convoy
- Stronghold
- GTA San Andreas
- Farming Simulator 2009,
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Rigs of Rods
- Mount and Blade
- Shadow Warrior (the old one, not the remake)

And some Emulator Games , NES SNES N64, PSX, GB GBC GBA Sega Mastersystem and Genesis ,
They also work on my CC Pandora but maybe better on the Win..

from the performance, all of them should work.
But some of them might be tricky to get them to work under Windows 10 since they were made for Windows XP or older.
San Andreas has this weird DirectX bug under Windows 10. But I'm using the Windows Store version so I have no issues.

also, PS2 and Gamecube emulation is possible on the Win.
Not all games work with full speed but some are fairly playable when using speedhacks.

Last edited:
i ditnt want PS2 and Gamecube, because the Only game from the PS2 i wants to play, works native as PC Port, GTA SA,
PS1, SNES, NES, GBA GB GBC, N64, Thinks that also work on my Pandora, but whit the Option on Windows Games
My GPD Win should arrive Today on my Place,
I will share my experience then

My ideal Windows handheld is a x86 CPU-board Pyra running a Windows VM with iGPU passthrough (possible since qemu 2.7.0), pretty much the best of all worlds.

Last edited:
My device arrived today, its a cool little Handheld whit a surprising fast CPU,
Ditnt had the time to make a closer look as I installet a lot Games on it, and now it's still need 40 minutes to copy the PS 1 Games from my Pandora SD Card via my crappy SD Reader..
I also ditnt truyed the poketability out
It's a bit wider than my Pandora

My device arrived today, its a cool little Handheld whit a surprising fast CPU,
Ditnt had the time to make a closer look as I installet a lot Games on it, and now it's still need 40 minutes to copy the PS 1 Games from my Pandora SD Card via my crappy SD Reader..
I also ditnt truyed the poketability out
It's a bit wider than my Pandora

Back