GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

If it's doing that for the PS1 emulator then I'm very surprised how well it runs under all that cruft, so I suspect that's a x86 emulator. But that and PPSSPP are possibly open source so it's just a matter of compiling the thing.

If it's doing that for the PS1 emulator then I'm very surprised how well it runs under all that cruft, so I suspect that's a x86 emulator. But that and PPSSPP are possibly open source so it's just a matter of compiling the thing.

PPSSPP and PSX emulators are available for x86-Windows, so why would you want to use an ARM-compiled Android version...?
Also, PS1 runs fullspeed on the Pandora with Hires-Graphics, so yes, that should easily work with ARM-emulation on that x86 CPU (although it will need 10x more power

He says in the video that the PSX emulator runs badly on Win 10 on the Win. Whatever he was running under x64 android there was not the windows version I'm pretty sure. If you reckon it could be an arm version emulated I'll take your word for it.

I am running linux inside virtualbox on a gpd win. Works pretty well.
Here's my setup :)
index.php

Now typing is quite convenient. For me the screen is a bit small for serious editing. Though I was trying.

Well, yes. Android itself. However, most of the better games or emulators (DraStic has been named here) is coded and compiled in ARM, so that would need to be emulated.
Regardless whether the OS or all the JAVA stuff runs natively.

If it's running via dynamic re-compilation then it won't use much more CPU than native - there's no specific hardware that has to be emulated such as graphics subsystems and whatnot.

If it's running via dynamic re-compilation then it won't use much more CPU than native - there's no specific hardware that has to be emulated such as graphics subsystems and whatnot.

Well, yes - but not if an app uses dynamic recompilation for an ARM which is then emulated on an x86 :)

£235 or best offer for a Win from China on Ebay UK now.Looks like they want to get rid of stock ahead of the Win 2.

Extern Keyboard and Mouse on GPD Win?? Challenge akzeptet..
(I hope these also work on Pyra but because there are Bluetooth, it should work)

0a466049c2e4e573820b11bc8ca01cb3.jpg
Last time I used a Bluetooth headset under Linux it worked but not very well, but that was like 2012 so I would imagine it has gotten better.

I've used a bluetooth keyboard sucessfully on my Pandora before now, and bluetooth joysticks more recently. But yeah, getting the audio subsystem working with external devices was often an exercise in frustration in the years gone by. You are in a maze of config files, all alike.

Yesterday I finally got GPD Win, so I'll share my experiences.
First of all, the keyboard and key spacing. This is very important. I found it slow and hard to type on Win because keys have a very small distance to each other and there is no space for stopping the finger (usually above/on a side of key). Pyra design has these spaces, HP LX had them too.
Performance under Linux is quite acceptable, and there's plenty of RAM, but I'm writing it as an user of 1.33GHz notebook with 2GB of RAM.

And now the Linux. Similarly painful experience as when I was putting NetBSD on a 4MB 386. Generally:
1. Boot the Stretch live.
2. Find that you cannot mount drives because you cannot mount drives (really, no idea why). Installer couldn't mount even boot partition.
3. Boot a full, GUI Stretch live, going to the installer until disk detection, going back to GUI, mounting disks, backup. Back to Win10, resize partitions.
4. Patch netinst image with Wi-fi firmware text file.
5. Find that patched netinst cannot be booted because UEFI. Considering BIOS downgrade to make things right, but giving it a chance.
6. Run the image until disk detection, mount another stick, patch the firmware.
7. Find that the txt file is incompatible with firmware revision so it won't go, even netinstall.
8. Try with external Wi-fi adapter on the same USB hub as 2 sticks.
9. Find that Ralink released driver buggy in 64-bit systems and the bug is open since 2007.
10. Install a full-featured MATE version having a bug-ridden Wi-fi adapter plugged in (which gives only one thing: Debian installer won't "forget" about wireless tools during installation). Installation takes 3x longer because Ralink floods kernel with its messages. Ah, and Debian's text-mode installer just cannot be rotated. Consoles yes, installer - not. My neck hurts.
11. Build the HDG kernel on another PC and move it to USB drive in form of debs.
12. Boot the GPD with MATE from hard disk. Install the kernel from USB drive.
13. Checkpoint: WIFI WORKS.
14. Insert a xrandr command and touch screen rotation matrix to script and feed it for LightDM initialization.
15. Find that rotation matrix in Arch's wiki is wrong and write a proper one.
16. Find that after installing HDG kernel I suddenly have two touch screens. Modify script to work on device IDs, not names.
17. Checkpoint: Screen orientation is proper and Wi-fi works.
18. Patch the power sensing. Reinstall the package.
19. Wi-fi stopped working after reinstalling firmware packages. Patch the Wi-fi again.
20. Add the files for sound. Still no sound.
21. Modify the files for sound properly. Sound only on headphone jack.
22. PulseAudio suddenly starts to operate properly. Who-knows-why.
23. Found that "analog" output is in fact a HDMI. There is no "analog" output.
24. Proper analog outputs suddenly show in a running pavucontrol instance while listing available sinks in another terminal :).
25. Sound somewhat works, maybe this setting will survive a reboot. If someone wants to use a BT audio... good luck!
26. Cleaning Debian's version of GUI by removing unwanted packages. Before: 8.5GB, after: 5GB.

Summing up:
- This is not a Linux installation for beginners.

To be figured out:
- What causes sound to switch between HDMI output, speaker and headphone. What causes analog output to appear and disappear randomly. Probably the sickness called PulseAudio.
- Why resuming from disk is not working.
- Why after 1 hour of sleep it tries to hibernate regardless of all power settings but if and only if the suspend was made using button, not lid.
- Devices/codes for Select, Start and this "X-in-a-circle" button, seem not to be detected at all.

You want xev to figure out keycodes. Run it, make sure its window is highlighted, press the key you want the code for then switch back to the terminal you spawned xev in to see the result.

Can't help you with the other stuff though, I'm afraid. I've seemingly been lucky with pulseaudio, but maybe it's because as an arch user, it doesn't try to autoconfigure anything, so the only dumb things in my config files are things I've put there myself. And I never suspend my devices and especially never hibernate them, because I never believe they're going to come back, and have only ever slept them by accident once or twice. Booting's not that slow these days, so just switch them off it you're not using them.

You want xev to figure out keycodes. Run it, make sure its window is highlighted, press the key you want the code for then switch back to the terminal you spawned xev in to see the result.

1. The cross-pad is visible as W/S/A/D keys. The buttons on the right are visible as arrow keys. The only difference is not a key's code, but a device which triggers the event - like a second keyboard.
2. It may happen that key doesn't give a code, but gives an event, then it's dead in xev, but visible in evtest. Such key can be assigned to keycode.
3. In the Win, some keys do not give an event at all.

Sound... Found a solution. The problem is with PA of course. I'll write it, maybe someone will find it helpful. Generally:
- Blacklist modules for USB sound cards (may work without it)
- Then using speaker-test, configure ALSA the following way: When "Headphone channel" is muted and "Speaker channel" not, the speaker plays mixdown. When headphone channel is unmuted, it plays stereo. Usually with HDG kernel and newest .conf files it plays mixdown in the left headphone ear and the proper right channel in the right. Requires much luck as they are >30 settings in ALSA mixer, half to nonexistent/turned off DAC.
- Run pulseaudio --realtime=0 . Turning realtime off in configuration files just doesn't work. Then PulseAudio will start and will not be killed instantly after starting. The audio jack is a bit "lazy" but works in most cases.
- In Pavucontrol, set newly shown "Headphone+Speaker" output as an auxiliary output. This will make them the primary output. I've done this on 3 computers with different sound cards, it always given the proper result and I still don't know why :).

Now the keyboard: The +-pad is W/S/A/D and right-side keys are arrows. To change, it is needed to modify an unused keymap (here yy), assigning XK_codes to keys (This map shows how W/S/A/D keys are called), but without XK_ in names. Then setxkbmap --device x yy. I was fighting with it all day. I found that the original key's scancode fires up and reaches X some way regardless of keymap state (some internal communication of keyboard modules?), so the only keys we can remap to are typical PC keyboard keys, assigning anything more to them (e.g. some multimedia key and then script to switch windows what I wanted to do) won't give results and will "hijack" this key in all other keyboards. This is not Pyra, where keyboard is designed with customization in mind, it looks like they really designed Win thinking only about games.

One Question: Dos anybody know, if "Spintires -Mudrunner" works on the Old GPD Win ??
Its needs 2ghz Dual Core, 2gb Ram, something like a Geforce 9600 GT..

Its a Offroad Simulator where you drive Russian Trucks through a Openworld Russian Wood whit realistic Mud Physics,

there will be a Switch Release of the Game soon, so mybe its works but the GPD Win is a bit Poketable..

And i have to Confess, that i ditnt played on my GPD Win for a long while..

EDIT: And what about Scrapp Mechanics ??

I just bought the normal Spintires Game on Steam (not Mudrunner because I will play the Advanced Version on Switch
The Game works and it’s fun to drive, but it’s maybe a bit slow
And my GPD Win Batterie is Empty :(
But it’s now a Reason to take the GPD instead of the Pandora whit me..

Back