GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

Win/Linux dual boot really works those days? I always read horror storys about that. Nice to see that it even works onto such a special device, even if I do not need Linux personaly on a X86 handheld.
It works really well since EFI.
All OSes write their boot information as files in that partition and do not touch the others files.
But if you don't need Linux on it, it will work even better without dual boot ;-)

which carrier is used for international shipping? can we choose during the purchase process?

Mine was a US order, and FedEx was used for me and I just got it. Total of 7 days from ship to receipt Germany > USA. I did unfortunately get a EU power brick and don't own a converter/adapter. Seeing if I can get a replacement from ED's shop. I did hear and can personally confirm the Nintendo switch power adapter works to charge the GPD Win Ma so I'm able to actually use it..

Spent a bit of the day today playing WoW and some emulators. Build quality is excellent, game controls are comfortable albite the face buttons being a bit smaller than I like. The file i/o speed is ridiculously fast, fastest on any portable device I've ever used by far. Had a USB 3.0 NVME enclosure and was transferred WoW to the internal drive at 300MB/sec. I am sensitive to fan noise and heat so I configured it to TDP down in the bios (15w?) and had a very very enjoyable time playing WoW on medium (preset 4) settings. There is something weird/wrong with retroarch's PSX emulator, it was able to handle gamecube, PSP, and PS2 emulation without a sweat but struggled with PS1 emulation which a device with 1/8th the performance can do no problem, so my assumption is there is a driver issue somewhere.

Haven't had the opportunity to install linux on it yet in dual boot, but it was high up on my list of uses for it. Overall, happy with the device and purchase.

If he ordered it from EvilDragon rather than some other carrier, ED traditionally offers multiple different carriers on his shop, but ISTR he had some trouble a little while ago after most of them decided they wouldn't ship anything containing a lithium ion battery (perhaps after the Samsung Note 7 fires) and was limited to using fedex for international sales.

What are the Diverence between this Thing and the Pyra?
I know its bigger, runs Windows 10, and got a faster SOC, but other than that?

Is the HDMI Port the Same as on the GPD WIN1? , dos it have Ilminated Keybard?

So if i decide that going full Pyra dosnt work for me, and a Mac Book Pro is too expensive, woud this Thing be a good alternative?
Is there a SSD whit some TB in it ? And will it last that long as my 2011 Thinkpad that still works, but is a bit slow now because windows 10?

What are the Diverence between this Thing and the Pyra?
I know its bigger, runs Windows 10, and got a faster SOC, but other than that?

Is the HDMI Port the Same as on the GPD WIN1? , dos it have Ilminated Keybard?

So if i decide that going full Pyra dosnt work for me, and a Mac Book Pro is too expensive, woud this Thing be a good alternative?
Is there a SSD whit some TB in it ? And will it last that long as my 2011 Thinkpad that still works, but is a bit slow now because windows 10?
Well:
- Its a full size HDMI port.
- You can put a multi TB SSD inside
- It is well put together, but since it is a GPD device, I have no hope for year-long support. Normally, you are just able to buy new batteries.
But as I said: the build quality is very high on this one.
- It has a backlit keyboard
- It runs Windows 10 and Linux
- It is EXTREMELY fast
- You can attach an external graphics card!
- it does not fit in a pocket
- It has no Mobile Data

For me, it will accompany the Pyra.
As a standalone, it is a good laptop replacement.
I really enjoy it much more than the Win2.

Ok, so when the Pyra dosnt work out as a Laptop Replacement for me, ( i doupt it as i dont need that much from my Laptop), i would consider this GPD Thing..

The good thing for me is the keyboard. While the top letter row is a bit skewed, as well as the number row, you can type fairly fast once you get used to that difference. The keys feel like those on a laptop as oppsed to the rubbery feel of the other handhelds. Thumb typing is still possible when you move your hands together a fair bit and hold the edges by the finger tips.

The hinge is very stable and will not budge when you use the touchscreen. Despite everything being very small on the screen I have no trouble hitting even tiny things with the tip of my finger.

At 100% scaling text is pretty small. If you set scaling to 125% or more Some programs will have windows too big to fit on the screen.

ATM I'm running it at 50% screen brightness - the screen looks great and can get very bright - and have a youtube video running and light internet use, a full battery will supposedly last me 11 hrs at Windows power setting 2 out of 4.

CPU temp is around 40 degrees C and the fans are running quietly. In idle the freq is around 400MHz, but it will ramp up to about 3GHz when there's work to do.

I will buy a thunderbolt dual HDMI adapter to easily connect two big screens to it.

I did a bit of in home streaming via Steam, Wifi was a bit flakey, but that could also be my router here.

Edit: Speaker volume and clarity are very good.

I bought this because I need an X86 device that fits in the car's glove box (nobody sees a laptop bag in the car, so no smashed window) or a motorcycle tank bag. This way I always have a work machine with me when I'm on the road, can access company VPN and give support using Teamviewer. The built-in controls are a bonus.

Edit2:
while browsing an image/video board and having a youtube video running on top of the browser 80% charge are predicted to be about 5 hours of use remaining. Going to max power saving it reports over 8 hrs.

Last edited:
GPD now offers the GPD Win Max with recent Tiger Lake or AMD Ryzen CPU.

win-max-2021_03.jpg

I7 Tiger Lake with the full 96 XUs of the Iris Xe iGPU sounds very nice. Should boost the performance alot.

At least it’s a bit more environmentally friendly than to ship new Devices from China to Germany, although:
The old Boards are still working, but a bit slower , but not usable whiteout the rest of the GPD

Whiteout change of the Board, you would sell the whole device and by a new one,
But the buyer can still use the slower version..

Reactions: rSl
We'll offer that service if we can receive the PCBs. We already replace PCBs in case it's defective, so I don't see a problem here :)
I know you can do it but actualy you have already enough work to do, right? ;)

Of course the option to just replace the mainboard instead of buying a new device is a good decission. I would not have thought such an move from an "chinese handfheld company". They tend to fire out one device after another but don't care much about long time support.
Speaking of "one device after another" xD:
ONEXPLAYER Review: (Handheld gaming PC with 8.4 inch display, Intel Tiger Lake, and built-in controllers)

Last edited:
Back