GPD WIN MAX ANNOUNCED

If i think about it: The Max should be as Big like an Normal Notebook, so its now wonder they put that many Power in it,
If this Thing would be the Sice of a Pyra, it would be much tougher..

Or to quoute Sabaton: "Death in the Shape of a Panzer Battailon" ^^

WIN Max Specs As given to me by Wade (GPD CEO)

Processor: Intel i5-1035G7 - 4 cores / 8 threads
TDP: 15 - 25W
Graphics: Intel Irus Plus Graphics 940 - 64EU
RAM: 16GB
Memory Type: LPDDR4 3733Mhz
HD Interface: Socket 3 / Socket 2
Hard Disk type: M.2 2280
HD Size: 512GB
Bus: PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4 / SATA 3.0
Transport Protocol: NVMe 1.3 / AHCI
WiFi: WiFi 6 compatible with IEEE 802.11ax. 2.4G / 5G Dualband. Max 2402 Mbs transmission rate. Support MU-MIMO
Wired Network Card: 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbs adaptive ethernet card
Blue Tooth: 5.0
Interfaces: 1x Thunderbolt 3, 1x USB Type-C 3. 1 Gen 2, 2x USB Type-A 3.1 Gen 1, 1x HDMI 2.0b 4K 60Hz, 1x RJ45, 1x MicroSDXC A2, U3, C10, V30
Touch Pad: Yes
Keyboard: Backlit QWERTY Chicklet
Screen: 8" 800p Capacitive Touch
Battery Capacity: 57Wh 11.4V
Adapter: 65W
LEDs: 1x Standby indicator, 1, HD activity indicator, 1x Charging indicator
Gamepad: Official ALPS dual 3D sticks (compatible with PSV ones), Clickable for L3/R3, Separate direction buttons, L1/L2, R1/R2, Panasonic switches
Weight: 800g
Dimensions: ~ 205mm x 140mm x 24.5mm

Tell Wade to significantly decrease the bezels, so they can make the screen size 8.9", (just like the P2 MAX). Doing so would save money, because they can easily source 8.9" screens.

Crazy specs! Well done GPD ;)

Iris Plus Graphics 940 with 64EU would be around 1 TFlops - and 2 TFlops at half precision. Considering the lower 720p / 800p target resolution this handheld should do Xbox One / PS4 quality graphics :cool:

As my new PC will be a Pyra, how much faster than the Pyra is this GPD Max Thing ?
Or in GHZ, not in Terraflops, as i cant imagine how fast this is..
The Things my XBOX ONE Summons on the Screen are quite impressive, at least if its the Right Game like Far Cry 4 or Red Dead Redemption 2..

Tell Wade to significantly decrease the bezels, so they can make the screen size 8.9", (just like the P2 MAX). Doing so would save money, because they can easily source 8.9" screens.

They could put in a higher res screen, but they deliberately go with a lower res like 800p to ensure performance for gaming.
That's about all I know about why they do this

Can someone explain to me why you would want to have joysticks on a laptop? Seems horribly uncomfortable.

And the fact that there's no palm rest means that typing on it will be much slower as well.

A much better design would be to have them be inserted inside of the device like the old HP Omnibook mice. Just make it wireless.

Also, it's a bit unusual to hear about the battery measured in Wh vs mAh. Do you just multiply/divide by voltage to get one spec vs the other? I think that's it. Anyway, with that much beef for hardware, just how long would the battery last on this thing? Hmmm....
I guess they did it because this thing's not running at a normal mobile battery voltage. It's common with electric cars to measure batteries in Wh, I guess because cars use such a wide range of different operating voltages it'd be hard to compare otherwise. For some reason, this is running an 11V something battery, rather than a common 3.7V baterry in most phones and portable things. But yeah, divide watthours by the voltage to get amphours, times by 1000 to get milliamphours, just be aware those milliamps are happening at above 11V.

Last edited:
Here's the first pics of a working WIN Max prototype

I should add that this proto has an old keyboard layout, it has since changed

xJGkXxZ.jpg

FTHioeP.jpg

Last edited:
But they were a bigger company, whit more Money, easy acces to chinese tech companys, and the GPD Handhelds may be a bit easeyr to make, as they ditnt have changable Batteries, or CPU Boards..

Also a reason why GPD got 9 Handheld out in the Time of the Pyra development: there was maybe one guy at GPD who decides about the Keyboard Layout, not a whole Comunity in a 100000 Pages Thread ^^

Also a reason why GPD got 9 Handheld out in the Time of the Pyra development: there was maybe one guy at GPD who decides about the Keyboard Layout, not a whole Comunity in a 100000 Pages Thread ^^
It is my opinion that the concept of our keyboard layout discussions/wars/etc caused any delay to the Pyra's release are patently false. Yes, they strung out for around a year. Yes, there was a metric ton of community time and energy put into the process. All of which happened in parallel with and without obstructing progress in hardware beyond printing legends on keymats. Printing the legends wasn't what delayed the keymat production. Those delays were (mostly) from physical key changes (plastic keycaps, resin keycaps, changes in reflection/refraction for backlights, measurements between CAD files and molds being off, etc.)

The resulting layout that we have, though, as a result of throwing dozens of people from the community into the project, are in my humble opinion, far superior to anything we could have gotten by any single individual. The process, as disorganized and contentious as it was, worked. We have the best overall layout possible, for the broadest cases of usage, within the confines of the physical layout of the device. This would not have been possible without the push, pull, collaboration and compromise of having many minds involved in and working toward a common goal. Indicative of this process, the resulting product looks nothing like any individual contributors 'first attempt' and functions far more efficiently than any of them would have.

Back