GPD WIN 2

Take a look here, thats the one I've ordered: https://geizhals.eu/teamgroup-m-2-ssd-lite-tm4ps5-512gb-tm4ps5512gmc101-a1718800.html
Also using those USB Mini microSD adapters to keep it pocketable.
I'd be cautious there. The one pictured is a 256GB.

Those USB C to microsd adapters pictured are quite large actually.
514TSFXgTSL._SL1026_.jpg

These only extend out of the USB port by a few mm. The microSDXC card rides inside the USB plug.

Your USB C ones sick out a couple of cm. That makes them fragile and not pocketable.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

These only extend out of the USB port by a few mm. The microSDXC card rides inside the USB plug.
You know, we take it for granted but if you take a step back, that is really amazing.

I still have a 10MB harddisk around somewhere which, volume wise, is about six pandoras stacked together.

Oh boy, what has Intel done here?
Well, the MIPI traces are just simple traces, so it would need a new display board as well and that's it.
We're pretty flexible here :)

True, and that is one of the awesome aspects of the Pyra, it's modularity and openness.

This deserves some additional thought. The Win2 doesn't have a "full sized" M.2 SATA3 port. It is an M.2 2242. Those numbers are important. They translate to 22mm wide and 42mm long. That particular form factor of M.2 is very rare and can be difficult to find. The highest capacity I have seen in one is 256GB. Also, these are RAW boards - no casing. They are NOT designed to be handled or repeatedly swapped. Yes, the M.2 bus is faster than SDXC. Yes, high end brand name M.2 2280 cards are wicked fast - but note that those are 22 mm wide and 80 mm long cards that won't fit in the GPD2. I have no idea how the odd brand named M.2 2242 cards will perform. A 128GB M.2 2242 drive can be had for $70.

SDXC cards are generally waterpoof, designed for handling and can be purchased pretty much anywhere. Quality has gone up considerably over the last 5 years. They are pretty darn fast - though admittedly not in the same league as high end M.2 drives. However, their data density is far superior. SDXC cards in the 512GB spec have been available for quite a while now. Which, if storage is your objective, swap capable SDXC means that you could store a couple of terabytes in a card holder the size and thickness of a stack of 4 credit cards. 1TB SDXC media was announced nearly 2 years ago and a prototype shown, but doesn't exist for purchase still. A fast 128GB SDXC card can be had for $44.

Totaling up the on-device no-chords or big dongles pocketable storage of the three upcoming clamshell devices:
GPD2
256GB M.2 2242
400GB microSDXC
400GB microSDXC in a tiny usb-microSDXC adapter
Total: 1.056TB

Pyra
32GB eMMC
400GB microSDXC
512GB left SDXC
512GB right SDXC
Total: 2.256TB

Gemini
64GB eMMC
400GB microSDXC
Total: 0.464TB

We're seeing the mobile clamshell device market getting fragmented into ever smaller niches. The Win2 threw the whole idea of passive cooling out the window for the purpose of speed-at-all-costs to be a Windows gamer's dream. The Planet Computers Gemini is pushing into the pocketable keyboard professionals always-on always-connected niche. Both of them carve a bit out of what was the Pyra's niche. Hopefully more devices leads to broader interest which leads to bigger audience for all of them. A handheld computing revival?
[doublepost=1513357508,1513356919][/doublepost]

Mmm... sorry, have to call a bit of BS on that. Please prove me wrong.
1. Define good M.2 2242. I haven't been able to find many in that form factor of from quality brands.
2. Find some actual benchmarks of M.2 2242 SSD cards at SATA3 speeds.
3. Fastest UHS-I SDR104 media actually does run upwards of 92MB/s sequential reads. You'll need that number to divide into whatever the actual M.2 2242 SATA3 speeds are.
4. Show me ANY M.2 2242 drive in 512GB capacity (largest SDXC card). Now show me one in 1TB - which is what the Pyra has with 2 SDXC slots.

I know why you are siding with the Pyra, being involved how you are, and I am also hoping for the best and having one soon, but I could follow the same strategy that you have followed for capacity focusing on speed and features: SSD are generally MUCH faster than SD cards, specially with many cards not reaching or sustaining the rated speed and focusing either on sequential or (very rarely) random R/W, can be closely monitored through SMART for example, ... Just want to keep things fair and not only compare the good things of a product against the bad things of the other.

Do not forget how much Linux optimization means! Even on x86 the Linux support on GPD devices is bad. Probably the main SOC has a good support, but what about the peripheral devices? Only because Hans de Goede made kernel patches the GPD Pocket is usable under Linux at the moment. (And there are still many problems!) GPDs stock kernel is lacking many features and GPD stopped its support.

Thanks to Nikolaus and the community I expect a much better Linux experience on the Pyra

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

As I said, I use Linux exclusively on my Win, so I know how things were and are, but nowadays most of the non-working stuff is not in peripherals but in the SOC (non-working suspend and hibernate and sound problems mainly? Or am I missing something?), and the m3 should have much better support OOTB already. I don't forget about optimization, it is amazing to see how much has been done with the Pandora (and the GCW Zero, and the GP consoles, ...), and the Pyra will have a much better (more integrated?) experience than the Win 2, but even with a "just standard" Linux distro without device-specific optimizations, having this "just standard" Linux distro and an x86_64 CPU is already a huge point in favor.

Mmm... sorry, have to call a bit of BS on that. Please prove me wrong.
1. Define good M.2 2242. I haven't been able to find many in that form factor of from quality brands.
2. Find some actual benchmarks of M.2 2242 SSD cards at SATA3 speeds.
3. Fastest UHS-I SDR104 media actually does run upwards of 92MB/s sequential reads. You'll need that number to divide into whatever the actual M.2 2242 SATA3 speeds are.
4. Show me ANY M.2 2242 drive in 512GB capacity (largest SDXC card). Now show me one in 1TB - which is what the Pyra has with 2 SDXC slots.

Do you know the diference between SLC and MLC ?
Transcend have 512GB MLC in 2242 form factor, it is arround 210 Euros here in Eastern Europe, and the real life performance is superior to any UHS-I SDR104 SD Card.
Finding a SSD in 2242 form factor is not hard at all, 2260 is far more exotic and hard to obtain.
And do not forget that WIN2 still have SD card slot capable of UHS-I SDR104 speeds.

So Please stop acting autistic and admit the facts.

Yeah, but those sticks always are huge... So not really usable for mobile devices in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

Standard USB stick size(as opposed to those minis), as for portability, just unplug it and put it in your pocket separately.

I must admit, this does look pretty good. Half wished I'd held off the GPD Pocket for this instead, as I think the keyboard looks a bit better (I still struggle with some keys on the Pocket).

I must admit, this does look pretty good. Half wished I'd held off the GPD Pocket for this instead, as I think the keyboard looks a bit better (I still struggle with some keys on the Pocket).

I think this is supposed to be a mostly thumb driven keyboard, so if typing is a priority for you maybe the choice of the Pocket was still right :)

I think this is supposed to be a mostly thumb driven keyboard, so if typing is a priority for you maybe the choice of the Pocket was still right :)
Possibly, though my main issues are with the A key and always pressing Q instead of Tab

My biggest concern are the buttons and the DPad being inwards.
DPad might not be such a big issue (except for being a bit uncomfortable), as most Windows games will be played with analog sticks anyways...
But the buttons. No controller I know (PS4, XBox, etc.) has the buttons to the LEFT side of the analog stick.
This looks uncomfortable to me - not just because they're so far inwards but also because the stick will mostly be in the way when you try to press the buttons.

It would be a lot better if they would switch these around.

They have done it that way to fit in the central cooling system. The sticks go all the way to the bottom of the WIN 2.

The sticks are sunken in purposely to avoid accidental hits, so it's not likely to be hit when pressing the buttons. This was somehting they tested early in the design

DPad might not be such a big issue (except for being a bit uncomfortable), as most Windows games will be played with analog sticks anyways...
But the buttons. No controller I know (PS4, XBox, etc.) has the buttons to the LEFT side of the analog stick.
This looks uncomfortable to me - not just because they're so far inwards but also because the stick will mostly be in the way when you try to press the buttons.

They have done it that way to fit in the central cooling system. The sticks go all the way to the bottom of the WIN 2.

The sticks are sunken in purposely to avoid accidental hits, so it's not likely to be hit when pressing the buttons. This was somehting they tested early in the design

On the Steam Controller they are on the inside too. Opinions may vary, but the Steam Controller is one of the best if not the best controller I have ever had (and still have, of course).

The Wii U Pro controller has.
It's like the XBox Controller but Right Stick and Buttons swapped.
I liked it a lot.

Sunken in or not - but I usually would rest my thumb there... so I'm not convinced until I see and test it with my own eyes.

The Wii U Pro controller has.
It's like the XBox Controller but Right Stick and Buttons swapped.
I liked it a lot.

The Wii U Pro controller has the buttons BELOW the stick. If you hold it in your hand, the thumb which presses the buttons doesn't even get near the stick.
It's different on the GPD Win 2.

I'm more concerned about the close placement of the controls to the top hinge part. You will touch this part when pressing top button or moving the pads upwards for sure.

Back