GPD WIN 2

Two batteries design tends to occur more frequently, to allow non rectangle battery...

This is not the only reason. The other reason is shipping: You can ship up to 100Wh, but only up to 20Wh per battery / cell.
So that's a workaround, as each one only has 18Wh.

The GPD Win or GPD Pocket could usually not be shipped with a normal shipping service, as it has more than 20Wh in one cell (though no one really cares about that).

I'm a little concerned seeing how the expanded keyboard has pushed the game controls up towards the hinge that maybe my thumb would foul the hinge when going for the Y game button.

On the WIN 2 battery, some people prefer Wh as a stat. The WIN 2 has a 37.24 Wh battery (the two batteries together)

Courtesy of VColeiro and Wade of GPD
38fda6f1f07b9d469ac27e808202346e.jpg

The keys look seriously messed up.

It looks like they are deeply concaved, making flipping between them a very bizarre experience.

The keys look seriously messed up.

It looks like they are deeply concaved

I'm pretty sure they're slightly convex. Maybe the sculpting of the key they've done is confusing you - I think they're pincusion shaped - a flat arch left to right that's narrower at its apex than at its edges. The missing bits of the arch are filled in with ramps to square the key off. I guess they've done this so that you can feel they key you're intending to hit under your thumb without being confused by the edges of adjacent keys. A domed key set also acheives this affect, as on Pandora but some people don't like the feeling of domed keys, preferring something flatter and this might be a useful compromise.

I hope that WIN 2 will have Linux support, and with features like: USB Type C, M.2 slot, magnesium lid and active cooling is a true killer.

What is under the Cover between the right shoulderbutton and the USB Port ??
Also the Device looks a bit thicker than the old GPD Win, could this be the thickness of the Pandora/Pyra ??

What is under the Cover between the right shoulderbutton and the USB Port ??
Also the Device looks a bit thicker than the old GPD Win, could this be the thickness of the Pandora/Pyra ??

2-3mm thicker I think. The cover is for the M.2 2242 slot, user swappable M.2 SSD card

This doesn't make sense. LithiumIon batteries have defined voltages by design, and these vary with how full they are.
There's 3.7V and 4.2V, 3.8V simply doesn't exist for batteries.
A fully charged 3.7V battery usually goes up to 3.9V.

Chinese manufacturers seem to fudge the numbers a bit. That being said, you agreed that a 3.7V battery exists and that at fully charged, it is at 3.9V. Why the confusion with a 0.1Volt difference/variance? Maybe they're shipping a half-charged (or 3/4) battery for shipping reasons? It's the same battery as the 3.7V ones, is my point. There are a lot of different battery chemistries on the horizon...and Tesla/Samsung have already DOUBLED the lithium-ion power density. Exciting things are happening as we're standing still.

3.7x 3Ah is not the same energy as 3.8x 3Ah... Hence my preference for Wh units... That is an energy unit to quantify energy...

I have a GPD Win and it's a laptop in the pocket. It'll run anything. I have Windows 10 on it now, for productivity, gaming and (STEAM) streaming stuff. It's capable, but it does get hot and throttles down on occasion. It's really helpful in a pinch. I haven't rooted it, or dual-booted it into a LINUX OS, but I'm sure that it could - not sure about the drivers though. So I'm waiting. All in all, it's the most capable handheld that I've ever owned.

If they produce a GDP Win 2? I'm in.

Chinese manufacturers seem to fudge the numbers a bit. That being said, you agreed that a 3.7V battery exists and that at fully charged, it is at 3.9V. Why the confusion with a 0.1Volt difference/variance? Maybe they're shipping a half-charged (or 3/4) battery for shipping reasons? It's the same battery as the 3.7V ones, is my point. There are a lot of different battery chemistries on the horizon...and Tesla/Samsung have already DOUBLED the lithium-ion power density. Exciting things are happening as we're standing still.
That's not my issue. The post said it has 3.8V with 2x4800mAh (or something like that) and therefore has a bit more than 10000mAh (compared to a normal 3.7V battery).

That's just wrong, as it IS a 3.7V battery, so it has a bit less than 10000mAh by specs.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

That's not my issue. The post said it has 3.8V with 2x4800mAh (or something like that) and therefore has a bit more than 10000mAh (compared to a normal 3.7V battery).

That's just wrong, as it IS a 3.7V battery, so it has a bit less than 10000mAh by specs.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

They are probably just using the same LiHV compound as before, maybe even from Sunda again, which is rated at 3.8V instead of 3.7V.

Who knows? Chinese manufacturers inflate their numbers. I didn't read the entire thread, I just read a couple of pages and it seemed strange to me. Please don't ban me. What will I ever do?

They are probably just using the same LiHV compound as before, maybe even from Sunda again, which is rated at 3.8V instead of 3.7V.
Yes, although I don't know the manufacturer this time - could be Sunda again. But yes, they are Lihv batteries and are 3.8v

They both together(2x 3.8v 4900mAh) are the equivalent of a 10,064mAh 3.7v battery which is also equal to the stated 37.24Wh for the WIN2

Last edited:
I'm gobsmacked how quick these things come out.
And how many since the Pyra development began... ;)
These chinese guys are fast indeed, they seem to have no limits, especialy when it comes to money, I need to know that trick.
I like the design of the GPD Win 2 somehow, the metal parts make it look interesting and the idea of using it for the hinge is great. Metal Hinge but still lightweight (?) plastic case, why didn't we came with this for the Pyra. 15W TDP for the CPU sounds extreme for such an small device, that's not much for laptops but a bunch for tiny handhelds. Intels new 8xxxU mobile CPU's have 15W TDP for example.
I'm intesested about thermal solutions and how much heat/noise this thingy will produce. And of course the CPU/GPU throttling if any. At least it seems like they have included biggger exhaust holes and learned from the Win 1 thermal issues.
The screen looks glossy and the shoulderbuttons to small. But besides this, I like the overall appearence.

Back