is any body a christan and uses the gp32

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swiss_Cheeseman: we can lock threads if they get out of hand. Similarly, I'm going to ask you to change your signature, because hurling an insult at another board member with every post you make is a bit over the top. Thanks.*

I'm not going to lock it because of some trolling, though - keep going, some really good points are being made here. No reason to end the fun now :)

EDIT: Okay you've already changed it once. Meh. :D

*also "fill him full of joy"? I don't know what impression that will give :)

I never even saw that sig. "Fill him full of joy"? I don't even want to know what the rest was.
starwarsnerd is a racist
Fuck you too. And heres some stereotype for ya. If I were Catholic, which would probably mean I was Italian, which would surely mean I was in the Mafia, then I would just have you killed. (I'm not trying to offend Italians here. This is just common, ignorant stereotype and none of my beliefs support it.)
How's that for biggotry?

I never even saw that sig. "Fill him full of joy"? I don't even want to know what the rest was.
starwarsnerd is a racist
Fuck you too. And heres some stereotype for ya. If I were Catholic, which would probably mean I was Italian, which would surely mean I was in the Mafia, then I would just have you killed. (I'm not trying to offend Italians here. This is just common, ignorant stereotype and none of my beliefs support it.)
How's that for biggotry?
Right on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiss_Cheeseman, please kindly shut up. Whether you agree with what I'm trying to say or not, calling another board member a retard isn't acceptable unless that is close to the truth (in this case, it isn't; he is fairly ignorant about things outside of his religion, as he said himself, but that doesn't make him a retard).

In many things the society of the most industrial states has chanced to positive in the last 300 years, but there is still, after so many years and so much technical knowledge, the same level of foolishness of people. I mean the cruelty of mankind against man.
Why wants our society the people to think that a abundance of goods is all we need for felicity?
The greed for more money and might is in all of us, ever. I am not any better, but I'll try, and all I can say is that reading the bible helps.

It's deeper than money, Thyphoid; money isn't that old of a concept, relatively speaking. What you talk about existed before money was invented; money has just come to represent it to a large extent.

It's about wanting something more (ambition). This in turn is, I think, directly related to "success" (whatever that is). Throughout history, the cultures that have been less ambitious have always been taken over by more ambitious ones (ie. China invading Tibet in the 1950s).

Is ambition then bad or good? On the one side it's certainly good if you consider our current progressive culture to be an example of success; cures for horrible diseases are being invented, and we are learning more about our world, all because of ambition. On the other hand, with ambition, the goal that we are reaching toward can never be reached; no matter how successfull humanity as a whole becomes, the universe will always be so infinitely larger, so one may ask, what is the point of it all? Whatever you do with your own life will be forgotten in several thousand years, no matter how famous you become right now, and in the long span of time your life probably won't even MATTER at all (and don't think that GOD cares all that much; if "He" exists, "He" has far too much of the rest of the universe to care about, not just people, but every single distant galaxy, all the billions of them).

Is it then better to simply do what makes you happy, whether that is helping people or harming them? That's why some of you Christians out there do good things, anyway, right? It's for yourself, whether because you want to get into heaven, or because helping people gives you pleasure. For me it's the latter. Helping people gives me more pleasure than hurting them, because if I hurt them (or failed to help when I could) I feel a nagging guilt later on, which in my opinion is often not worth it.

Would you do "good" (heh... let's see you try and define that word) deeds if you absolutely hated the prospect? I wouldn't; I do good deeds when I do them because they give me a certain satisfaction.

Well, I've probably lost everyone by now, but whatever... ;)
I won't give you any answers, but hopefully I gave at least a few people some questions. :)

P.S. You don't have to "read" the website that I linked to. It's like a FAQ, just scroll to the bottom of the main page and click on the questions that interest you (probably everyone here has wondered about at least some of the questions on that site), and don't read the other stuff if you don't want to.

P.P.S. Whoops, I just realized that this post is probably a bit out of place on this board. Ah, well, the deed is done, for good or for ill. :ph34r:

Ambition? Whats wrong with ambition?

Nothing, if you use it trying to mentaly perfect yourself and try to make the world a better place. Everything if you use it for substantial enrichment and try to make yourself a better place on this world. :blink:

A christan?
Well my surname is Christ... so I`m katholisch :D (catholic? or is that christan [or christian]???)

Quiest posted on Feb 4 2005 at 08:56 AM said:
A christan?
Well my surname is Christ... so I`m katholisch :D (catholic? or is that christan [or christian]???)

Oh no. Why are we opening up this can of worms again? ;) :ph34r:
Ambition? Whats wrong with ambition?

Nothing, if you use it trying to mentaly perfect yourself and try to make the world a better place. Everything if you use it for substantial enrichment and try to make yourself a better place on this world.
Trying to make yourself a better place on this world is directly related to trying to make the world a better place, and vice versa. ;) And anyway, those who would "selflessly" make the world a better place are the ones who feel good about doing so, so again in the end they're making life better for themselves. :)

I started reading this thread from the beginning... then got bored... then got annoyed that I was bored...

Anyway I did want to make my point and I apologise if it has already been made in the posts I didn't get to...

I think that the general ideas of most orgainised religions are good (be nice to each other etc) but beyond that I don't care. Does God exist? I don't care. Will there be an afterlife? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If people want to get together and do some worshiping in a building that they has built for the task - fine do it. Or don't. Whatever.

I know this all sounds pointless but the point I am trying to make is that it is possible to be non-religious and not be anti-religion. I am not arrogant enough to say I'm an athiest, nor do I follow any religion. Sure, bad things have been done in the name of religion but it's not the religion's fault - it's the fault of the people themselves and that of the people doing the organising of organised religions.

The thing is, I'm not in a minority here. In the UK the majority of people do not go to church. That doesn't mean that the majority of people are athiests. When asked most UK people will say that they have some sort of Christian beliefs but really what they are saying is that it just isn't that important to them.

They're like me. They don't care.

J(ohn)

Im surprised I missed this thread first time round but then I didnt use the View New Posts function back then.

I am a Christian. I believe that the Bible is God's living word and Jesus his son died for our sins and is the way, the truth and the life. My faith is an integral part of who I am.

The quite off-putting arrogant things said here against God, the Bible and Christians people are fully allowed to say - but thats your choice. Any proper Christian will accept that whilst they would like everyone to be a believer, not everyone will be.

Quiest posted on Feb 4 2005 at 08:56 AM said:
A christan?
That comment really wasn't worth ressurecting a year-old thread over.

johncross85 posted on Feb 4 2005 at 10:10 AM said:
(stuff that's been probably said throughout topic)
I've seen some strange things in my time, but trying to make a year-old topic go offtopic somewhat topics them all. This thread dissolved into an argument last time, and no offence to all new contributors but I'd prefer a seperate religion debate thread instead of an existing 13-page one.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back