Votes: 95 88.8%
  • gp32x.de

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • gp2x.eu

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • gp2xwiz.de

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

I have no attachment to the domain name, the community is made by its members and its content (preserve the DB!). OpenHandhelds.org makes the most sense to me.

as others have said domain name doesnt matter so much, the value is in the content and history.

Something like gp32x.openpandora.org

I think it also would be prudent to simply the number of sections as traffic has diminished. I think the following layout would work:
I have no idea how this would work and maintain the old and current threads.

+ News Section
-Universal News

+ Wiz/Caanoo Section
-Wiz General
-Caanoo General
-Wiz/Caanoo Dev

+ Pandora Section (dont like to say it, but maybe its time to just use the other forum)
-Pandora General
-Pandora Dev

+ Other Devices Section
-gp32 Everything
-gp2x Everything
-dingoo Everything
-name a handheld etc

openhandhelds.org is a great name and can be used for all kind of devices and future proof.
I think a section for the Pandora is still a good idea, even when it is almost not used. This forum could be some kind of portal for everyone trying to find information of all kind of open handhelds and compare them in one forum.

Openpandora does belong there.

Pickle said:
+ News Section
-Universal News

So, one news section for ALL handhelds?

+ Wiz/Caanoo Section
-Wiz General
-Caanoo General
-Wiz/Caanoo Dev

No Software / Beta Testing section here?

+ Other Devices Section
-gp32 Everything
-gp2x Everything
-dingoo Everything
-name a handheld etc

That sounds okay.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:

News is so rare why not, plus it helps mods having to look in one place. What would be nice is if the forum software supported some sort of tagging system so each post could be tagged for the device and also had a filter on the tag.

I see it merged with development or general.

The main reason for my suggestions is based on the current traffic. For instance we would be lucky to have 1 thread each in dev and beta testing, so i think if they were combined it really wouldn't get too cluttered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
EvilDragon said:
News is so rare why not, plus it helps mods having to look in one place. What would be nice is if the forum software supported some sort of tagging system so each post could be tagged for the device and also had a filter on the tag.

The new IPB supports tagging. The Pandora Boards have this already.

I see it merged with development or general.
The main reason for my suggestions is based on the current traffic. For instance we would be lucky to have 1 thread each in dev and beta testing, so i think if they were combined it really wouldn't get too cluttered.

True. Though once traffic goes up sometime, it's nigh impossible to split the old threads up again.

Last edited:
I'm ANDROID from the pandora forum quit monitoring this forum some time ago, but just ran across a topic over there and thought I would post the same thing here as there.
i purchased openhandhelds.net a while back (.org forum is german, and I wanted an english alternative to same concept of open source handheld community forum) I bought it as a project, strangely enough I finished most of it last night. (what a coincidence eh?)

I'm building the forum using SMF (simple to build and supports tapatalk my favorite plug-in), will try to have it up in a few days, it's already built and working but I'm putting the polish on it now before going live.... untill I'm done I'm just http forwarding it to openhandhelds.org

even made a logo

image_thumb4.png

I do like the idea of adding Android areas to it if possible, as I have recently got myself an xperia play but do find it a bit tedious to hunt down homebrew/indie/dev information easily, sure XDA and other sites support the Android platform in general and quite well, but I've found myself completely overwhelmed and lost as just starting out...

Also, I agree with notaz that this NEEDS to be preserved, I still dig through the GP32/GP2X stuff from time to time and have my GP2X docked and hooked up to usb controllers on my desk inbetween my computer and laptop. There are so many juicy tidbits of information, eccentric yet enlightening conversations and just all around history in these boards that I would probably be completely befuddled and hurt to find it missing (anybody else here still play their GP32? I recently picked up another just so I could get an extra 128MB SMC so I can finally have all the games installed and ready to go on the cards in addition to being prepared to play jump 'n bump multiplayer...)

EvilDragon, I really appreciate what you're doing and I'm glad to see that the community, although ravaged by everything from tubgrrl to the current spam plague has seemed to keep lurking quietly in the background... I may have been a member since only 2003, but I lurked since probably a month or two after the forums were founded... Lik-Sang RIP, you changed my life and introduced me to a scene that forever will have a deep impact on my life...

Ok, the more I think about Gp32x.Openhandhelds.org the more I like it. Could this be added to the voting?

It's good to know that the db will remain intact, as others have said, that is the most important thing!

I wonder : what GP32x must be useful for ?

Maybe you should not give more importance for one console than another ?

There are many wiz users, but many of them have a caanoo, sold their wiz, or can't buy one because it's not producted anymore.

There are many caanoo users, they must find many infos about it here.

Same thing about the Pandora.

But there should be an Android section, as important as the others because many new users are interested in new consoles (yinlips/jxd...).

I'll take the example of our french forum, all parts are equal, no more for one console than another.

We made it this way :

- Retro Cafe :
* members
* news
* offtopic discussion
* others consoles (with not enough infos or developpement to make a section)

- Android section
* Apps, Firmwares, Games
* Devs
* Emulation
* General
* Problems
* Tutorials

- Caanoo section
* Apps, Firmwares, Games
* Devs
* Emulation
* General
* Problems
* Tutorials

- Pandora section
* Apps, Firmwares, Games
* Devs
* Emulation
* General
* Problems
* Tutorials

- Wiz section
* Apps, Firmwares, Games
* Devs
* Emulation
* General
* Problems
* Tutorials

If a new handheld sounds promising, we create a new section.

Everything is sorted so that any new member can find easily the answers to his question.

notaz said:
Whatever we do, I think it's important to preserve the database. Basically all GPH device history is here, as well as good part of pandora's.
+1
Somehow, everything started here so it is an important part of Pandora History. The Forum should be preserved. :)

HunterZ said:
If the domain is going up for sale, then why can't you buy it?
Even if the domain expires and ED has registered an interest to buy it there is no guarantee that his registrar will be the first to get through with the registration.

notaz said:
Whatever we do, I think it's important to preserve the database. Basically all GPH device history is here, as well as good part of pandora's.
Agreed, though I imagine that ED has been taking regular backups anyway (hopefully!).

WizardStan said:
2) GoDaddy sees a profitable domain name and has put it up themselves for people to bid on in the event that it expires. Money will only change hands if it expires.

The domain is actually registered with this registrar for the moment (until some time in March) though GoDaddy state the following on their auctions site:

Any domain name originally registered with GoDaddy.com that's allowed to expire automatically goes up for auction in GoDaddy Auctions.

This seems to imply that gp32x.de was originally registered with GoDaddy and that it is currently set to expire automatically (not set to auto-renew as previously stated?).

As far as I know, even if the domain expires and someone has "purchased" it from GoDaddy it is not guaranteed that they will get it. For example, my registrar of choice will let me place what they call a "back order" on the domain for around £35. If that were to go through I would have the domain for a year and as far as I'm aware it is just as likely to get through as someone paying GoDaddy $28,000 or something ridiculous.

---

On the topic of the new domain name, I am not opposed to simply using OpenHandhelds.org. There are also still some GP32x domains available right now. Of these, "good" ones include .co.uk, .org.uk, .org and .net.

I think its critical to safe guard the future of GP32X, moving the forums to Openhandhelds seems very much a wise decision and having the old site as it is now at gp32x.openhandhelds. Might be wise to start redirecting to the new domain so that google can refind the links easily.

Then you could build a new site at www.openhandhelds that covers all Open source handhelds, sad to hear Hando not responding or anything, the value of the domain seems very high too.

Too many homebrew sites have gone to the wall over the last few years and too much valuable information and downloads lost (i should know, multiple hacking of dcemu did irreparable damage to our downloads).

Okay, it seems openhandhelds.org is the way to go, unless I can get a reply from hando.

I'll move the full site over within the next days, will buy another license for IPB (including IP.Downloads) and will make a test run to see if upgrading to latest IPB goes flawlessly.
Once that's done, the boards will be read-only for a day or two (need to transfer a 2GB database!), the real update will be done and the site will come back online on openhandelds.org.

gp32x.de will get an information about the new URL and redirect to it after a few seconds.

If I get a reply from hando, the movement will be similar, except that URL will continue to be gp32x.de

After that is done, the stuff from the archive can be moved to IP.Downloads (I could need some helping hands here!), we could update the frontpage and a nice theme for IPB including a new logo, etc. would also be nice :)
If anyone is good with that, it would be cool to get help :)

Last edited:
As I wrote few posts above, I'd be happy to give a hand on the design & front-end coding :)

Evildragon, you can contact me about this on: clement@pikipika.com

Back